February 2016 Moms

Feeding question

Hi, all. My LO is almost 7 weeks old, and is EFF. Lately he has gotten into the habit of falling asleep after eating about 2.5 ounces, and then gets hungry in 1-1.5 hours. This quick turnaround time to hunger lets me know that he isn't getting enough during a feed (and, as of about a week ago, he was eating 3.5-4 oz per feeding). Any suggestions on how to get out of this feeding/falling asleep cycle that we are stuck in? TIA!

Re: Feeding question

• So this is worth a shot... my LO always falls asleep after taking one breast. We started changing her diaper between feedings. This wakes her back up and she's able to finish eating. I tried tickling her feed and rubbing her back to wake her up. It just put her out more. But actually changing rooms and having to lay down on the changing pad worked for us. 
  • So this is worth a shot... my LO always falls asleep after taking one breast. We started changing her diaper between feedings. This wakes her back up and she's able to finish eating. I tried tickling her feed and rubbing her back to wake her up. It just put her out more. But actually changing rooms and having to lay down on the changing pad worked for us. 
    This. I have to get the cold wipes on her to keep her awake.

• Loading the player...
  • We try to stick to a routine of "eat, play, sleep." It might take a few days to adjust but playing with DS after eating before laying him down has kept him awake to eat. He also learns to not rely on a bottle to fall asleep. I did the same thing with DD and she took naps wonderfully until about a year ago- she's 5. 
  • edited March 2016
    dtaded13 said:
    We try to stick to a routine of "eat, play, sleep."
    I also follow this RELIGIOUSLY. For me personally, I don't feel like my babies are ready for that pattern until they're a little older. Ive read that s
    uckling puts most young infants to sleep, so I try not to worry about schedule too much until closer to 3-4 months. That's not to say it can't work now for you or anybody else! :)

eta - I shouldn't have used the word religiously. What I meant to say is that it has worked REALLY well for us. If I offer baby to eat upon waking and he's hungry, that's fine. If he eats and is hungry again in an hour, I feed him again. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• smn14smn14 member
    I can vouch for the changing the nappy to wake LO up, I do it before swapping breasts