January 2016 Moms

Left Baby for the First Time

hey mamas! This past week was a huge one for me. I went back to work on Monday and then I left for an out of town trip without My LO for the whole weekend. It was super tough, but I made it! Anyone else go through this yet?

I will say it was super nice to spend some quality time with my husband! We went to Nashville for my step moms surprise 50th birthday party.

Re: Left Baby for the First Time

• I'm leaving my baby for the first time (for more than 2 hours) in a few hours. I have to go back to work..I'm so nervous and as little emotional!
  • klbhklbh member
    Congrats! That's a big step! I've only left for a few hours at a time so far (gym, movie, drinks with friends), but I was just daydreaming about that first overnight. I'm sure it will be stressful but liberating.
  • Loading the player...
  • I went back to work today, though I'm only working 4 hours days this week before I start back full time next week. Before today, I had only left LO alone for 3 hours with my mom and DH to get a pedicure and haircut. It was a difficult drive into work to say the least! Luckily, my job had a TON for me to jump into which I thrive on so I could keep occupied. Otherwise I would have been an utter mess. I did cry when I got to daycare and the teachers gave me this adorable first day paper note with her footprints. And so begins letting the process of LO out into the world....so bittersweet. I'm glad you made it through your trip and the transition! Keep hanging in there :)
  • I left my baby with the mother in law for 2 nights so the husband and I could go on a trip alone. 2 nights was too long. I cried for about an hour while holding her after they brought her back. I promised her I would never do that to her again! Not until she's at least 3 lol. I missed my baby too much
  • Whoa, I am behind the curve! My baby is two months and the most I have been away from her is 1.5 hours to workout! I have four weeks until I am back at work and I am so sad to think about leaving her for hours at a time...even though she will be home with my husband. 
  • I'm jealous.  We are having major nipple preference issues and baby refuses to take a bottle so 2 hrs is my max time away.  I blame this on waiting too long to introduce an artificial nipple/pacifier but it is very frustrating. Once she hits 3 months at the recommendation of my pediatrician I'm leaving her for a 7 hr span with nothing but bottles.  
  • I have been away from mine for the normal couple hours (for movie etc) just a few times. I started back work this week and it was hard, I didn't cry but my heart sure ached as I drove away. Tonight my mother in law is keeping him overnight as my husband and I are celebrating (by having a kid free night ha) our 1st anniversary (on Monday). I have been preparing myself, but I just know I'm going to miss him so so much. Even tho he will only be 15 min away lol
  • The first time I left my son overnight was when I had this baby! Lol. I was just talking to SO about a weekend get away, but I'm not sure I could leave the littles for so long... I know they would be fine with my parents, but it still terrifies me. 
  • My little girl is 11 weeks and I haven't left her yet! She won't take bottle and I can't always guarantee the spaces between her feeds! Mamma needs a haircut and a bit of time out but right now it doesn't seem likely 
  • Ha I feel like a bad mom. I've been leaving my LO for a couple hours since like 3 weeks. I pump and BF because of oversupply so she's always had a bottle. Hubby and I are going away for 2 nights this week for our 4 year anniversary. I'll be sad but I want a bit of time with him. Is it horrible that u haven't cried anytime I've left her? Seriously feeling like a bad mom. 
  • KFrobKFrob member
    livins said:
    Ha I feel like a bad mom. I've been leaving my LO for a couple hours since like 3 weeks. I pump and BF because of oversupply so she's always had a bottle. Hubby and I are going away for 2 nights this week for our 4 year anniversary. I'll be sad but I want a bit of time with him. Is it horrible that u haven't cried anytime I've left her? Seriously feeling like a bad mom. 
    I went back to work last Monday and although I cried a few times leading up to it I didn't cry at all once it happened. I've only left for a couple of hours pervious to going back to work and I didn't cry then either. So if you're a bad mom I'm right there with you!! I'm jones for time with my husband and I'm jealous of your weekend! Enjoy it and don't feel like a bad mom. Moms need a break, and I think breaks make you a better mom by appreciating your time together with baby and improving mental health. 
  • klbhklbh member
    @livins heck no, I've practically danced every time I've left. Sure, by the time I head back I'm excited to snuggle him again, but I need time on my own to be a good parent. Plus, I really want him to have good relationships with other relatives, and that means trusting them to take care of him. 
  • @KFrob and @klbh thank you!! I'm definitely excited for some hubby time and some extended sleep (although I do have to get up to pump in the MOTN). I'm just glad she's with my mom for the couple days. I don't think I could leave her with anyone else just yet. 
  • I thought it would be a lot harder to handle, but I leave him with my mom/sisters so i feel like it's easier to know he's with people I trust. 
    ( I rush back to pick him up though lol ) 
    i refuse to leave him at the "babysitters" so I can do "personal" things like pedicures/manicures/hair cut he can stay with his daddy while I do that (Note: I haven't done a "personal" day yet) 
    SO and I talk about going to the beach for a few days but we feel like LO is still too little to go but we refuse to leave him overnight just yet.. I would feel guilty the whole time that's for sure. 
  • I'm in the same boat as you ladies. I was really sad leaving, but it was the first time I felt like my pre-baby self, and it was great. First and foremost I am a mom, but it is so important to be yourself too! We are not bad moms!