February 2016 Moms
Options

Wake time question

About how long are your 4/5 week olds staying awake, not including feeding (which is about 30 min for us)? DD seems to not want any wake time at all and will get overtired very quickly. I am worried she's not getting the tummy time and social interaction she needs. She will be 5 weeks old on Monday.

Re: Wake time question

• Options
    I feel like that's about what DD was doing back then (she's 6 weeks now and it dramatically increased between weeks 5&6). She's also our first so I have no idea what's normal. Maybe it was up to an hour (not including feeding) but I don't think more than that for sure. I let her nap on me tummy to tummy and then counted that as most of the tummy time based on this article:

https://mamaot.com/tips-for-making-tummy-time-a-little-less-um-miserable/

I may go to Mommy hell for it because it feels like a cop out because she's so happy like that. But the awesome OT at my school said it was good information so I feel slightly less guilty. 
  • Options
    1-2 hours here. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. He has days where he only naps for 2-3 hours throughout the entire day and days where he's hardly awake at all in between naps. Usually it's due to a growth spurt - up all day eating for a couple days and then sleeps the following day. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO goes through spurts. She'll either sleep a ton or, like yesterday, she was up for a 4 hour stretch. Which want awesome because I have a house full of family coming tomorrow and I needed to clean.  
  • Options
    DD is 4wks tomorrow and has a 30-45 min stretch after almost every feed. Sometimes she'll go a few hours where she has just a couple 15-20 min naps and is awake or nursing the rest of the time. 

Don't fret the tummy time. DD1 barely got any at this age and turned out just fine ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Mine doesn't tend to be up more than 2 hours at a time but there are some longer stretches, particularly in the evening. She doesn't get a ton of tummy time because she gets tired afterwards. I also count any time in the wrap or laying tummy to tummy on me as tummy time (I read the same article as PP and the babycare basics class I took said basically any time not on the back counts) so when you include that it's actually quite a bit of time
  • Options
    Baby boy will be 7 weeks tomorrow. He stays wide awake after a feeding for about an hr or two about twice a day. Usually I will let him hang out in his swing or lay him in the boppy. I'll play some music etc. We do tummy time but shortly because baby boy just tries to eat the blanket lol 
  • Options
    Man, we have the exact opposite concern with our nearly 7 1/2 weeker. I'm nervous he's not sleeping enough! He sleeps 9:30pm to 2:30 am, eats, sleeps 3 to 6:30 am, eats, sleeps 7 to 8:30 am and then is up the rest of the day (until 9:30pm) outside of about 20 minutes total of napping. We're exhausted. 
  • Options
    My baby seems to be sleeping a lot during the days lately, too. Some days he refuses to be put down, but he'll sleep hours on someone's chest. I put him on his back to wake him up to nurse every two or three hours or else he'd be up fussing all night. Then he'll stay awake an hour or so, but will fall asleep if held or carried/strolled.
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • Options
    I feel like our 4 week old DD doesn't sleep much during the day. If she does, they're very short naps. She's awake a lot and wants to eat all the time too. She really only falls asleep if we're holding her or in the car or wearing her. No naps for this mama unless she's on me!
  • Options
    It's different for us every day. Our little guy *tends* to sleep in 3 to 4 hour stretches through the day and night, though you can't count on it for sure. He's awake anywhere from 1 to sometimes 5 hours at a time. I think 5 hours is too long for an almost 4-week-old. Normally he stays awake longer during the day and shorter stretches at night, thankfully. 
  • Options
    I'm also concerned my 7 week old isn't getting enough sleep during the day. I've read that babies need around 16 hours (or more) of sleep and according to my Glow Baby app (which I highly recommend. Tracks feedings, diapers and sleep time) she's only sleepy around 10-12 hours. It's not like we're keeping her up, she just stays awake and then gets over tired.
  • Options
    I'm also concerned my 7 week old isn't getting enough sleep during the day. I've read that babies need around 16 hours (or more) of sleep and according to my Glow Baby app (which I highly recommend. Tracks feedings, diapers and sleep time) she's only sleepy around 10-12 hours. It's not like we're keeping her up, she just stays awake and then gets over tired.
    16 hours is just the average. Some babies sleep more or less. If they're in the middle of s growth spurt it can also affect their wake time. As long as your baby isn't screaming her head off because she's overtired and you're missing her cues, I wouldn't be too worried. Let your baby tell you what she needs 
  • Options
    16 hours is just the average. Some babies sleep more or less. If they're in the middle of s growth spurt it can also affect their wake time. As long as your baby isn't screaming her head off because she's overtired and you're missing her cues, I wouldn't be too worried. Let your baby tell you what she needs 
    Agree with this. Stop timing her sleep (and diaps!) and just go by cues. It will save your sanity ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker