June 2016 Moms
Options

Relationship question for STMs

Ladies: how did you deal with bringing a newborn into the relationship with your SO? Any dos and don'ts? I'm having a hard time picturing the transition so thought I'd ask the more experienced bump wizards.

Re: Relationship question for STMs

• Options
    My biggest advice is to not expect too much from your partner. It seems like a lot (not all though) of men have a hard time with the newborn stage. As baby becomes more interactive, men tend to bond more. 

My my experience was that those first few weeks were basically my show because I was breastfeeding. He helped where he could, but I just went with the flow with the transition and praised him often to help his confidence caring for LO. The newborn phase is over so fast though!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everything @NLewis1 said is also pretty accurate for our house. I'd add that my H asked for reassurance that what he was doing was right pretty often. It took a lot from me, but if baby wasn't crying and the need was met then the answer was yes. If you're comfortable keeping expectations low for your SO then just make sure that you don't let that go on so long that you develop resentment. I can't help but imagine that being hard to emotionally battle through. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my H, he was terrified to hold our son at first, because he was afraid of hurting him. He had never held a baby, much less a newborn, so it was a learning experience for him. He learned early on that a diaper change is like gold to a new, tired mom. I had to teach him, but he is an expert now. Learn as much as you can together, no matter how trivial it may seem.
    Communication is such a big part. It's so easy to feel overwhelmed and resentful that you have to do everything  (especially if you BF). Also, learn the signs of PPD and make sure he knows the signs. It can sneak up on you so quickly. I'm so glad we are part of a generation where father's are involved. My dad hadn't  changed a diaper until my son was almost 1.
  • Options
    I agree with all the comments on just letting dad do it his way as long as it's safe for the baby. As for your marriage it might be a hard couple months the baby will sleep a lot so we would have date nights at home and  order take out and get a redbox just keep spend time together. Also learn to be a team and give him things that are his my DH always liked bath time and since I was always pumping he washed my pump parts and bottles. Just make sure he has a role that way you don't get stuck doing it all and resenting him for it. 
  • Options
    m8881m8881 member
    edited March 2016
    My husband is much better with infants than i am. Keep communication open and tell him what you need to stay sane. 
  • Options
    All great advice above.  

Once you get through the overwhelming newborn phase, come up for air and notice that you are in some sort of groove.  It will be different than before, but you will both be coping & getting into a new rhythm, even if it's in fits & starts.  Once you hit that spot (and actually, maybe even before), remember to prioritize your relationship as well.  
    Sexy nights out on the town and kid-free weekend getaways may be a pipe dream for a while, but make a point of talking about something other than the baby, taking advantage of baby's naps to watch a movie (or at least part of one), eat an adult meal, have a drink, etc.  And when you're at your wit's end with everything, remember why you fell for him & wanted to have a baby with him:)  
  • Options

Thanks for starting this thread and for all you fantastic STMs for contributing! I'm also pretty nervous about how this new journey is going to change our dynamic as husband and wife. I agree w @ahernandez16, the thing I'm going to have to remember most is that he's in the trenches with me and I'll need to make sure to spell out what I need instead of getting mad that he doesn't know.

And I completely second that we all deserve to be celebrated for Mother's Day this year because we've been mom's the second we saw those 2 pink lines!

• Options

I agree with everything everyone has said, especially about laying out expectations ahead of time! I like to process everything out loud and my husband is not like this at all.  But I feel like I will have less anxiety if he knows where I'm coming from.

The one thing I'll add is that this is an on-going thing!  My DS is almost 2 years old and my DH and I are still ironing out the parenting thing!  On Friday, my DH wanted to watch SouthPaw on DVD, but I felt like my DS shouldn't be watching all the fighting.  My DH initially thought I was being ridiculous but came back a couple days later and told me after thinking about it and watching how much my DS takes things in, he agreed with me.  Its hard because I don't want to bulldoze over what my DH thinks and I know I'm a lot more overprotective, but there are some things I feel pretty strong about.  I definitely have to pick my battles (with both my DS and DH!), there are things I have to let go of just so I'm not always telling my DH what to do! 

• Options
    I second that it's a continuing process. My son is three, and my husband and I have conversations all the time about how we are going to/have handled certain parenting situations so that we are on the same page on the major issues. I also have to remind myself that for some things, my husband is still going to do it differently, and I have to be OK with that. Now that my son is old enough to realize he can try to ask the other parent after he didn't get the response he wanted from the first parent, we know to check with the other parent first to make sure we're not undermining what the other parent said. We want to be on the same page so as not to confuse him about the rules.
  • Options
    Yes to everything PP have said. DH and I talked about this last night even.

To echo so many other posts, just because your husband does something differently doesn't mean he's doing it wrong. So many times in the last couple months I would get frustrated because he would do something differently than me. It took me a while to realize that just because DH gave DS his bottle differently than me didn't make it wrong.

Also, communicate. So often I would get DS around and ready to go places in the morning, and then hand him off to DH so I could pee or grab breakfast. I would be so angry when DH was just playing with DS instead of finishing packing the diaper bag or getting shoes on him. I was so frustrated that I had to do everything.... but I never asked DH to finish packing the diaper bag or get shoes or a coat on DS. He didn't realize those things still needed to get done, and once I asked, he didn't hesitate to do them.

And as PP said, you and DH should know the symptoms of PPD. DH had a class during our childbirthing/parenting classes that covered many of the symptoms, and that helped so much. I PP anxiety immediately after getting home and then I had PPD about 4 months PP. Having a husband who understood this and took it seriously helped so, so much. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 10/25/13. EDD: 06/18/14. Confirmed MC: 11/06/13.

BFP #2: 3/31/14. EDD: 12/2/14 Born: 12/9/14

BFP #3: 10/5/15 EDD: 6/10/16 Born: 6/13/16

BFP #4: 8/20/15 EDD: 4/26/18
  • Options
    I think it's critical to always assume positive intent - especially if you know your husband generally isn't an a-hole.  Communication is HARD when you're both sleep deprived.  You will speak like cave men and women and wish the other person could read your mind.  It will be frustrating.  Assuming positive intent when the message is turse and confusing helps a lot. 

Also, as to the PP's comment not to expect much of the husband in the newborn stage: You know your spouse's capabilities best but I think many men are very capable and adept at helping in this stage.  It can help if he has duties which he feels good at: swaddling, bouncing, taking for walks, bathing and of course, taking care of you!
  • Options
    I think it's critical to always assume positive intent - especially if you know your husband generally isn't an a-hole. 
    This is such good advice, and something I need to keep top of mind.