Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Timing and TTGP

I've noticed a lot of discussion on WTO/TWW recently about how often you need to have sex during FW. I did a medical journal search and found 2 articles that gave numbers for how many times couples had sex during FW and how many of those cycles resulted in pregnancy. Each women provided a daily FMU sample for the researchers to determine O and sex was self reported. Pregnancies resulted only when sex was between -5 and O, so 6 fertile days each cycle.

Sex on -2, -1 or O  had the best chance of getting pregnant
Sex ED had a slightly better chance of pregnancy then EOD

Here's the breakdown/summary of the two papers. They give number of cycles recorded and number of pregnancies that occurred and I used that to get the %  

1 time - 26% or 27% cycles resulted in pregnancy
2 times - 28% (both studies) cycles resulted in pregnancy
3 times - 35% or 38% cycles resulted in pregnancy
4 times - 36% or 49% cycles resulted in pregnancy
5 times - 26% of 30% cycles resulted in pregnancy
6 times - 10% or 11% cycles resulted in pregnancy

I couldn't find any reason to explain why there was such a huge discrepancy between the studies with 4 times. 

Re: Timing and TTGP

• Options
    khbearkhbear member
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for posting this! This is really interesting. Can you link the studies or cite them? I want to look at them.

I have to wonder about outside factors having an effect on these rates. Three to four times in the FW seems like the magic window, and that's probably less stressful for most couples to achieve, so that's good news. But how does that jive with ED being slightly more effective than EOD?

eta - affect/effect typo, doh!
  • Options
    Thank you for this!! I'd love to see the studies also.  
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *lurker siggy warning* It seems to me, that depending on the man's ability to replenish his sperm would play a factor in ED vs EOD.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    This one is open access and not super technical

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199512073332301#t=articleTop

This one I had to use my institutional subscription to access so I'm not sure if it's available for free anywhere

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8068836
  • Options

*lurker siggy warning* It seems to me, that depending on the man's ability to replenish his sperm would play a factor in ED vs EOD.
    I didn't have a chance to look into it, but it seems like there is a generally a lower count on the second day of ejaculating, but if a man has a normal count to begin with this shouldn't have an impact on fertility. They did hypothesize that there may be other biological factors that could impact semen quality and subsequent fertility when ejaculation happens too frequently but didn't detail exact what that was.
  • Options
    khbear said:
    Thanks for posting this! This is really interesting. Can you link the studies or cite them? I want to look at them.

I have to wonder about outside factors having an effect on these rates. Three to four times in the FW seems like the magic window, and that's probably less stressful for most couples to achieve, so that's good news. But how does that jive with ED being slightly more effective than EOD?

eta - affect/effect typo, doh!
    I'm not great with probability but this is what they said:
    ED probability 0.37 (0.25 live birth)
    EOD probability 0.33 (0.22 live birth)
    No ranges provided
  • Options
    This is really interesting. Crazy how 6 days is so much lower than the others. SO and I would never be able to manage 6 days but this makes me feel better about that!

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This just helped me make my decision for aiming for EOD next cycle instead of ED....though I still don't understand how ED is better than EOD but 4 times is better than 6....and I have a math degree.....granted, Stats was my nemesis and I claim it's not real math ;) haha

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    Thanks for posting, @ladymillil! Our goal for this cycle was to work on our timing, so this makes me feel more confident in it. 

Also, I just love stats! It was my major and my graduate degree, so papers like these get me really excited. 
                                Me: 26, H: 28
                                Married since 2012
                                TTC #1 since July 2015
                                 **TW**
                                         Laparoscopy and Endometriosis dx February 2016
                                HSG and SA all clear! September 2016
                                 Testing with RE October 2016
                                                        BFP 11/5/2016 ~ EDD 7/19/2016

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Thank you for posting! This will be a big help to DH and I as we gear up for BDing EOD this month.
  • Options
    Am I reading this correctly, that people that have sex 4 times in one ovulatory cycle have a 36-49% of getting pregnant in any give cycle?  That seems high....I mean, I love it if thats true, but I thought the "norm" was 20% per cycle?  Or maybe I am misreading?
    Me: 34 DH: 36
    TTC#2 September 2015
    DD #1 born July 2014
    Clomid 50 mg x2 months- no ovulation
    Clomid 100mg x 2 months- confirmed ovulation first month, BFN
  • Options
    I'm new so i need to ask... What does ED and EOD stand for?
  • Options
    KarliQ88 said:
    Every day and every other day
  • Options
    Am I reading this correctly, that people that have sex 4 times in one ovulatory cycle have a 36-49% of getting pregnant in any give cycle?  That seems high....I mean, I love it if thats true, but I thought the "norm" was 20% per cycle?  Or maybe I am misreading?
    I have often wondered where this 20% comes from. 
    image image
  • Options
  • Options
    TheJeriluTheJerilu member
    edited March 2016
    KarliQ88 said:
    Every day and every other day
    This was driving me bonkers - in my office, EOD is end of day, so I was trying to fit something morning-related into ED.  Early day? My brain was still set in work mode vs baby mode. 

Thanks for clarifying!  Also, thanks for the super interesting breakdown in the original post.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 28 & Partner: 32 | Married 2014
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • Options
    babymish said:
    This is really interesting. Crazy how 6 days is so much lower than the others. SO and I would never be able to manage 6 days but this makes me feel better about that!
    In both studies 6 days was a small number of cycles so it could just be low because the sample size is too low. 
    We could do 6 days in a row on vacation, but in our day to day lives it's difficult, so I was glad to see that missing a day or 2 (or 3) during FW didn't have a huge impact on odds of getting pregnant.
  • Options
    @LadyMillil Whoooo!  Thanks for this!

My gripes (not directed at you, of course!!):
    1) This data is from the 80s (and the modeling study uses the data from the first).  With all the cheaper lab tech now it seems like this would be easy to replicate today.  I want moar data!  
    2) I wish they would run a new study with just nulliparous (only n/3 here) or tease it out from the larger data set because secondary infertility is less common than primary.  This would jack up conception rates and skew the appearance of probability for those who are TTC#1 because they've been lumped in with people who are already fertile, if that makes sense?
    3) This all but confirms the fact that I'm going to need ART because it seems like we definitely should have conceived on our own by now. 
    Damn. Calling the RE today to make an appointment.  
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    mrsdee15 said:
    *trim*
    I have such a science boner right now.  This makes me weirdly excited for the next cycle.

Every bit of this is pure awesome.
    Me: 45 OH: 42
    Beloved SS: born 12/2011
    TTC my bio #1/our #2 since January 2016
    **TW** June 2016 had CP **end TW**
    August 2016 - dx with DOR
    Somewhere in here received recommendation to do IVF with donor eggs, elected not to; OH dx with Low T
    May 2017 - began freezing sperm
    June 2017 - OH began treatment for Low T
    July 2017 - began doing 1 IUI via a midwife and 1 at home insemination each cycle
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6259ba
    July 2018 - exhausted frozen sperm, officially NTNP since OH is probably shooting blanks

• Options
    mrsdee15 said:
    Yes, thank you, I was thinking something like this but couldn't articulate it. 

This pic just made me die laughing. I can't stop looking at it :lol: 
    Me: 27 // DH: 30 
    Married 05/21/2011
    TTC Since Feb 2016
    RE: Dec 2016 Dx: PCOS
    5 rounds of Letrozole 5mg + Ovidrel + TI 
    BFP!!!! June 2017 // EDD: 04/01/2018
    IT'S A BOY!

• Options

4 times during one FW had the best odds of pregnancy.
    I'm not sure about the research that leads to the 20% comes from, but I've read some things that suggest if you aren't tracking O and just have unprotected sex whenever that your odds are 20%-ish but if you're  tracking O and time sex your odds increase because you've got sperm there when the egg appears.

I don't think this is accurate. When I first started with my current RE, he gave me a sheet that cites the success rates with IUI is 15-20% (or roughly the same as a "normal" couple without any fertility issues) and the success rate for IVF was roughly 40-50% per cycle. I couldn't imagine having sex ED/or sex 4 days of your fertile window is really more successful/as successful as IVF (or even IUI for that matter). I don't know the sources, but I will see if I can dig up the paper when I get home tonight to see if it cites anything.

Me: Endo, PCOS, septated uterus (mostly removed)

DH: perfect

Started TTC in June 2011

Baby boy born 3/17/2014

• Options
    EML2011 said:

4 times during one FW had the best odds of pregnancy.
    I'm not sure about the research that leads to the 20% comes from, but I've read some things that suggest if you aren't tracking O and just have unprotected sex whenever that your odds are 20%-ish but if you're  tracking O and time sex your odds increase because you've got sperm there when the egg appears.

I don't think this is accurate. When I first started with my current RE, he gave me a sheet that cites the success rates with IUI is 15-20% (or roughly the same as a "normal" couple without any fertility issues) and the success rate for IVF was roughly 40-50% per cycle. I couldn't imagine having sex ED/or sex 4 days of your fertile window is really more successful/as successful as IVF (or even IUI for that matter). I don't know the sources, but I will see if I can dig up the paper when I get home tonight to see if it cites anything.
    The normal couple percentage is based on the likelihood of the sperm actually successfully fertilizing the egg as many sperm die in the process. The more sperm there to attempt to fertilize the egg, the better the odds of success. Hence the better chance of success with multiple ejaculations during the fertile period.

The sperm have to burrow through to get to fertilize the egg, and many of them will die off in the process. Basically think of it like tearing down the Berlin Wall. Can one team of men accomplish it? Probably, but it will take them alot longer than several teams of men working to tear down the wall.
  • Options
    So you're saying that there's an equal or better chance of getting pregnant from having sex 4 times and IVF? Ok...

Started TTC in June 2011

Baby boy born 3/17/2014

• Options
    This study showed that for couples who had intercourse 4 times during the fertile window (and only 4 times), 36-49% of them conceived.  The data is the data; the only way it can be inaccurate is if the original researchers incorrectly transcribed the numbers.  Perfect frequency analysis should give us probabilities (so saying you have a 36-49% chance of conceiving if you too bd 4 times during the fw) but this is not a perfect sample.  It mixes nulligravida and primi/multigravida, small sample, and we don't know what other methods these women were using to conceive.  

And IVF rates given by REs usually come attached to a very specific demographic.  Eg age, infertility factor, number of embryos transferred, etc.

Also of note is this is for conception (not live births), as the data is from a study on early pregnancy loss.
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    EML2011 said:
    So you're saying that there's an equal or better chance of getting pregnant from having sex 4 times and IVF? Ok...
    I could be totally wrong in my thinking, but I find this believable. The study was of couples with no known fertility issues. And I would imagine most/all couples who are doing IUI and IVF have fertility issues that are impacting the success rates.

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • Options
    @whiska and @ladymillil I simply meant that I don't believe that this study portrays an accurate picture of the population. No study is perfect and I don't want women using this site to think "wow, I've had sex 4 times in my fertile window for the last x many months and I'm not pregnant so there's obviously something wrong with me." There's a reason why drs (and many women on this site) are constantly reiterating that there is a 15-20% chance of conceiving every month and it can take a healthy couple up to a year to conceive.

While temping is widely accepted on this site as the best way to determine O, it can be misinterpreted. Couples that are getting IUI's are being monitored by ultrasounds and blood work to determine when they will O (and are likely getting drugs administered to make sure they O at the most optimal time for the sperm to meet the egg). I can understand how a couple with infertility undergoing an IUI and a healthy couple temping to hit O have roughly the same changes to get pregnant on any given cycle, but I'm having a hard time understanding that a couple BDing 4 times during FW have the same or better chances as a couple going through IVF. First off, the two leading causes of infertility in couples are male factor and PCOS/anovulatory which are greatly reduced (if not nullified) by IVF. Even when couples don't go forward with additional testing, only the best embryos are chosen for IVF. This minimizes the possibility that egg and sperm quality are the issue. On any given month even a healthy couple can have egg/sperm quality issues. To say that the healthy couple STILL has the same if not a better chance of the embryo implanting is a hard concept for me (especially since the women going through IVF is likely taking meds for implantation). My inability to understand a concept has little baring on it, and since this wasn't the basis of the study it's hard to say for sure. This could also be my attempt to make myself feel better about the looming probability that IVF is in my and DHs very near future, but either way.

@whiska to your comment on demographic, my clinics sheet was broken out by age, diagnosis, # of embryos, single, twin, 2+, live births, etc. I can't find my sheet, but there are similar summaries on the CDCs and RESOLVE websites.

Started TTC in June 2011

Baby boy born 3/17/2014