Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

NBR: Book Talk

I would have had this as a GTKY question but I'll never be up early enough to beat the later time zone posters. Hope this is ok as its own topic!

You can choose to answer any or all of the questions!

What book(s) are you reading right now?

What is your favorite book?

Who is your favorite author?

If you could be a character from any book, who would you be and why?

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: NBR: Book Talk

• Options
    Birth Matters by Ina May Gaskin and Sugar Salt Fat by Michael Moss

It changes often but right now it's On Beauty by Zadie Smith. She's one of the most brilliant writers I've ever read and I feel this novel is her best work.

James Baldwin

Janie from Their Eyes Were Watching God. She seemed like she had such great faith and confidence in herself and I love how hard and unapologetically she loved and lived her life. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AliciaGooseAliciaGoose member
    edited March 2016
    I love this!! Reading is my favorite pastime. 

Need by Joelle Charbonneau

What is your favorite book? I don't know if I can pick a favorite. I think I have favorites of the moment more than all time favorites. The book series I read most recently that has 'stuck' with me was the Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo. It's been several months and I'm still in love.

Who is your favorite author? Colleen Hoover. I am obsessed with everything that woman writes. I have been following her since she was an indie writer.

I clearly would want to be in Harry Potter. But I would want to be a secondary character who didn't have to risk my life everyday to be friends with Harry.

Edit: I don't want to be in 'Hardy Potter'.
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Me: 26 DH: 24
    Married: November 2015  <3
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    Computer Hope
  • Options
    What book(s) are you reading right now? A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami (I'm trying to read all of his works this year)

What is your favorite book? Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Who is your favorite author? David Sedaris. I've seen him speak twice and I love him so much. He's got such an incredible authenticity to him and even though he's brilliantly funny, sometimes between the lines there's a lot of profound heart-warming emotion there.

If you could be a character from any book, who would you be and why? I can't think of an answer for this, primarily because I can't think of any good fiction I've read where the outcome for any good character was positive :)
  • Options
    @mrsdee15 I loved the Song of Ice and Fire series. It took FOREVER to read, but I really enjoyed it. I also really like Phillipa Gregory! 

@mrsdee15 @BerkeBaby @PennStateCait HP Forever! 

Me: 28 | DH: 31
    Together since 2006 | Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since November 2015
    BFP 5/17/16 | EDD 1/27/17 | Born 2/4/17

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsdee15 how did I forget about Philippa Gregory?!

And @canavara! I love David Sedaris!

The English teacher, Harry Potter fan, bibliophile, and English major in me is FREAKING out about all of these books!

• Options
    canavara said:
    What book(s) are you reading right now? A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami (I'm trying to read all of his works this year)

What is your favorite book? Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Who is your favorite author? David Sedaris. I've seen him speak twice and I love him so much. He's got such an incredible authenticity to him and even though he's brilliantly funny, sometimes between the lines there's a lot of profound heart-warming emotion there.

If you could be a character from any book, who would you be and why? I can't think of an answer for this, primarily because I can't think of any good fiction I've read where the outcome for any good character was positive :)
    I listed David Sedaris as my favorite author, too! He's actually coming to my town next month to speak, and I'm so excited! It's the first time I will see him in person.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    This made me go back to my Pinterest books board and I found this:

Listen to hot British guys read poetry and prose 
    Full list: https://cornersofmind.tumblr.com/post/76359253801/listen-to-the-playlist-here
    Listen: https://8tracks.com/sadarcy/british-men-poetry-prose#

It's not the best site; I can't figure out how to go straight to the track I'd like but you can skip tracks using the player that pops up on the bottom of the browser.
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    thj101thj101 member
    edited March 2016
    What book(s) are you reading right now? Not reading one at the moment... Glad to get some suggestions here!

What is your favorite book?  It's a toss up between Tuck Everlasting, and Then There were None.  I'm a middle schooler at heart.

Who is your favorite author? Kristin Hannah... I really enjoyed The Nightingale and Firefly Lane

If you could be a character from any book, who would you be and why? Probably Isabelle from The Nightingale.  She was badass!

ETA:  Words that were mysteriously missing.
    Me:  33
    DH:  36
    Together since 2007
    Happily Ever After 4.30.2015
    ~~One Beautiful Daughter~~ Born:  11.6.2017
    Trying for #2!!
  • Options
    So excited about all the fellow bibliophiles! Sometimes I wish I had gotten my master's in literature instead of education so I'd have a better shot at being a professor. Still not impossible but I should've kept studying books like I had a mind to.
  • Options
    @whiska That happens to me a lot with trilogies but I was actually happy with this one. I actually found the second book to be a little boring, and thought it came back with the third. And yes about the side ones! I have six of crowes. I'm waiting for my friend to get to it so we can do a group read since we did a group read of the original series!
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Computer Hope
  • Options

in the car i am re-listening to the in death series by JD Robb
    On my kindle i am playing catch up on a few of my favorite series that have added new books to them since i last visited them,.  i think i am on the newest book in the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. 

Once I am done with those I will move onto a new series (i have so many lined up to read)

Can it be an entire series?  because i can't choose one, its not fair.  Definitely the outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

Diana Gabaldon

I want to say Claire from Outlander... because then i would get me some Jamie Fraser  but I don't think I could live without modern things like Air conditioning, running water and such. 

Maybe, Eve Dallas (from In Death)?  she gets to have Roarke and she is super snarky and bad ass.  

also, for those of you that were around in January, we had a thread with a whole lot of book recommendations that i favorited for later use...  here it is

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12657610/snowstorm-coming-need-book-recommendations/p1

At one point in time, maybe in November or December (well that sounds depressing now) we got all gung ho about a book club.  i totally even read the book (all the light we cannot see).  I think over the holidays the excitement died down, and the organizers either got BFPs and moved on, stopped being active on the site, or just dropped the idea. But I totally read the book... so if any one wants to chat about it lol.....

• Options
    picklespleasepicklesplease member
    edited March 2016
    @furbabymom2007 - I organized the book club, but once I started posting and offering a place for people to post, very few people participated, so I stopped the threads. :( It didn't seem like anyone was interested and a couple of people who were participated were really negative about the book choice, so I gave up.

edited: words
  • Options
    @BerkeBaby

it wasn't my favorite book, but I did enjoy reading something that I wouldn't normally have read.  I kept looking for the threads but I couldn't figure when they were happening and I was a bit behind on the reading for the first few weeks.  When I caught up I couldn't find anything of the threads lol. 

I think the reason I didn't like it all that much was because of the writing style.  i never felt like I settled into it like I do for other books, if that makes sense.  I did really like the content though.  I tend to enjoy historical fiction type books and have been getting more and more interested in history around the wars as i have gotten older.  
  • Options

Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

It would probably be a children's book, I love children's literature
    I also love Memoirs

Leo Lionni

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

What book(s) are you reading right now? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows (annual reread)

What is your favorite book? Too many! A sampling: A Severe Mercy By Sheldon Vanauken, anything Tolkien, Little Women and Anne of Green Gables(because nostalgia), CS lewis' Till We Have Faces and Out of the Silent Planet, and many more

Who is your favorite author? Why the hard questions? Austen, Tolkien, Lewis

If you could be a character from any book, who would you be and why? When I was a kid I totally imagined my own character in all my favorite books. My finest character want a book at all, but a tv show; hope you don't mind if I bend the rules and share that, lol. I pretended I was a character in Star Trek (my character made appearances in TNG s well as DS9 and Voyager, of course. I was the daughter of Deanna Troi and William Riker, and Wesley Crusher was my best friend/ the boy who broke my heart. (The themes of my daydreams got more complicated as I wanted muddle school, lol.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @PennStateCait and @Lecool Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite HP, too. :) 

Duo glad to see so many rereading hp. I'll show muy husband, he ashtrays pokes fun at me for reading he same books again and again and asks if I want to read something new. I do...sometimes...I just like to return to familiar friends, too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsdaddario All Fall Down is great!
    Me: 32
    DH: 33
    Married: October 2015
    TTC #1: October 2015
    EDD #1: June/July 2017

• Options
    Ahhhh! I love this. I'm so sad I'm laying in bed exhausted from work and about to fall asleep. So quickly..

I love fantasy fiction.. 
    I'm currently reading The Wheel of Time series again.
    Love Game of Thrones.
     I really enjoyed The Name of the Wind series by Patrick Rothfuss. Final book coming out soon!
    I love love love Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice is probably my favorite book. I've read it like 20 times since high school.
    Outander!!!!!! Omg. I love love love it so much. Unique from what I usually read but I'm such a huge fan.
    I would probably want to be a character in Downtown Abbey or Pride and Prejudice.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @PennStateCait Can't wait to hear what you think! I just finished it for my book club.

It's so great to see so many with the same favorites!

What book(s) are you reading right now? The Total Package by Stephanie Evanovich

What is your favorite book? I have so many!! Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phenoix. I really love books that are part of a series.

Who is your favorite author? I can't just pick one. Jane Austen, JK Rowling, Jennifer Weiner, David Sadaris, Wally Lamb, Janet Evanovich, Harriett Evans, Lucy Robinson, Sophie Kinsella, Simone St. James, Kristan Higgins, Coleen Hoover. I could seriously go on and on. I read almost a book a night. 

If you could be a character from any book, who would you be and why? Elizabeth Bennet (because of her wit and I'd meet Mr. Darcy!), Harry Potter's third best friend- I just told my DH last night that I wish there was a real opportunity to go to Hogwarts. And Anne Shirley! 
  • Options
    @berkebaby I really enjoyed I am Malala, I hope you are too. What an amazing young woman she is!
    @mrsdee15 I'm with you on enjoying dark books.
    @gonetothesea LOVE David Sedaris. I've seen him talk live too, and he apparently always gives a book suggestion :)
    @canavara Have you read 1Q84 yet? It's on my list, but haven't gotten around to it yet because it is SUCH a thick book that I figure I can knock out a few others before I tackle that one. I'm a slow reader.
    @Lecool Love murder mysteries! Have you read Child 44? That one stuck with me for a while. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who listens in the car and reads outside the car. With murder mysteries it makes for interesting dreams!
    @whiska I read Siddhartha in high school and it's still one of my faves.
    @furbabymom2007 @berkebaby I'd be interested in a book club! And that book is on my list too lol
    @renee1105 I hope you're enjoying Yes, Please! I prefer audiobooks for these types of books, and Amy kills it with her comedic timing.
    @mrsdaddario goodreads keeps me sane! I can never remember what I wanted to read or how I felt about a book I've previously read. And now this thread has given me a bunch more things to add to my list! 

What book(s) are you reading right now? I just downloaded The Mountain Between Us to listen in the car, and I'm reading The Devil in Pew Number Seven

What is your favorite book? There's been quite a few that have impacted me, especially recently. The Language of Flowers was excellent. Wool is another one that I just couldn't put down. 

Who is your favorite author? It changes, but I really am enjoying Margaret Atwood right now. David Sedaris is up there too. 
  • Options
    I love how many of us in here 'read' two books at once, our car book and our at home paperback or kindle book! No one else I know does or appreciates that, but I get so much more reading done when I'm able to listen to my books on my daily commute! I do it a little differently though in that I listen to Siri read to me with my iPads voiceover feature. It took a while to get used to but now I love it!
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Computer Hope
  • Options
    @RatsPJ I have! I really liked it but I felt like it could have been half the length it is. Somewhere around Book 2, it gets kind of exhausting to continue reading (for typical Murakami reasons, like spending 5 pages describing what someone was eating, etc etc)
  • Options
    LecoolLecool member
    edited March 2016
    @RatsPJ I haven't heard of it, but just looked up the synopsis and it looks really interesting! I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

Me: 28 | DH: 31
    Together since 2006 | Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since November 2015
    BFP 5/17/16 | EDD 1/27/17 | Born 2/4/17

• Options
    meilay said:

The Time Traveller's Wife

Pride and Prejudice or Station Eleven

Jane Austen and JK Rowling

Hermione from Harry Potter. 
  • Options
    @mrsdaddario I love good reads! Are you using the reading challenge feature? It's been helping me to read more and watch TV a little less. I used to love to read all the time before I started teaching. Now I have to read so much for work that I just need my brain to turn off sometimes. 
  • Options
    I am interested! I used to be super into historical fictions when I was in high school actually but haven't read one in a long time. That being said I will also try anything once (if we go with a different genre). If we don't get enough interest I still love the idea of doing occasional check ins like this one!
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Computer Hope
  • Options
    ***** Lurker - 1st time poster *******
    I had to respond due to the amazingness of books.

Re-reading the In Death series. Currently Treachery.

Where The Red Fern Grows - it's the first book to really make me feel. 
    Outlander... the series. 

I can't pick one... Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs, Nora Roberts/JD Robb.

No idea.  I'd think about Eve Dallas or Claire. They're both pretty bad ass.

And because this makes me smile every time, please enjoy:
    https://youtu.be/lmEbF2uhsZk
  • Options
    I'm down to join a book club!
  • Options
    I'm totally interested in joining a book club with TTGP ladies!  I finished Gone Girl last week (H wanted to see the movie and I wanted to read the book first because, well, they're always better). 

I'm reading Reconstructing Amelia right now.  

I would like like to have been a character in DaVinci Code.  I found it so compelling.  It also aligned with my feelings on religion.  I'd also love to be the leading lady from the Bourne series.  I guess I love high pressure situations where there's a lot at stake.

Pregnancy Ticker