January 2016 Moms

what happened to my LO!?

DD went to sleeping all the time to barely sleeping at all!!! I mean... Yesterday she took only 3 naps the whole day an hour each. DD was never like this. She would nap for 3 to 4 hour stretches about 3 times a day then sleep 6 to 7 hours at night. Now at night time it's 4 hours then she is up every hour after that . DD isn't always hungry when she wakes up either. Diaper is always fine because we change it before we give her a bottle when she wakes and we make sure she is not too hot or too cold when sleeping.

I have heard of the 4 month sleep regression but isn't this too early?? Anyone else's LO's sleeping pattern suddenly change!?!?
DD#1 born 12/30/2015
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DS#1 born 02/19/2013

Re: what happened to my LO!?

• Mine did! He started being awake a clingy all day and night. It lasted about a week. This is one of the times where they are having a developmental leap so sleeplessness and being more clingy can happen. Have you noticed if your LO has started playing with their hands or discovered their voice? For us it was discovering that his hands were attached to his body and he had control. Apparently that was mind blowing. Your LO should go back to normal in a week or two. You can make it through the rough patch! Good luck!
  • We go 2 days no naps and then 2-3 days sleep all day. Back and forth. I did start reading about the leaps and we are going through one now (8 weeks) So clingy!! Hang in there! 
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • Loading the player...
  • 2winterbabies2winterbabies member
    edited March 2016
    She is 11 weeks and I have noticed she is more clingy. She discovered her hands long ago lol she was grabbing things right at 2 months of age.

Never knew about this. Thanks ladies. 
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• The wonder weeks! Totally appropriate time frame for the 12 week wonder week. During the wonder weeks basically your baby's perception of the world shifts making it hard for them to settle because they are overwhelmed with the new things, they also are clingy for security as they experience these changes and since "sleep begets sleep" the affect is kind of compounding leaving you with a slightly overtired, overwhelmed little babe. My little man went through the 8 week one- went from napping awesome to no don't put me down and difficult to settle, it passed and he is back to his good sleeping self. Thank heavens! I was due to have a good sleeper after two very challenging sleepers
  • Yep we're at 10 weeks (2 weeks overdue so maybe that makes it more likely he's going through the 12 week leap or growth spurt), and after two nights of awesome sleep (6 hours then 3 - which is great for him, he's a crappy napper and short sleeper on the best days) he was impossible to get down last night and his longest stretch was 3 hours when we finally got him down at 1, then an hour then two, ahhh!! And yesterday he was fussy during most of his awake times and his naps were even worse than normal (25 minutes instead of 45). Today is shaping up to look similar!

Yesterday, however, he was talking a ton - including some very passionate almost yelling, he rolled over for the first time, nawed on my finger like crazy all day, and was trying to reach to kick things with his feet (he's discovered his hands weeks ago). He also barely pooped and I notice when it seems like his digestion slows down (the time he stopped pooping overnight and maybe it's slowing to only a poop or two a day now) he has a few days of fussiness adjusting. So maybe it's development, maybe it's digestion, I don't know, but I hope he gets over it soon!

DH was going to go out of town this weekend and I would've had no one available to help (which when he can't be put down for naps, is barely awake 45 mins in between and fusses all evening, is not cool) so I asked him to stay and thank god I did!
  • I get a 3-4 hr stretch at night and a two hour nap around one or two in the afternoons. The rest are cat naps.
  • DS has been going through an up and down period of sleep.  He's got a pretty regular schedule down, and I say that because his awake and sleep times are always within 1 hr. to 1 1/2 hrs. of each other.  There is no real definite times to his schedule just yet, but we're getting there. He is 14w old. 

With that, there are days where he will sleep a TON during the day and then night time might be a crap shoot. I'll say that a lot of his sleep depends on how many times he poops that day. I know it sounds weird, but if he hasn't gone all day and nighttime is creeping up on us, he's miserable. You can just tell that he's irritable. In order to be all around happy, LO needs to go at least 2 times a day. He usually does, but on the days he doesn't I can gaurentee that his naps are going to be off and his nighttime sleep is going to be squirly too.
  • If you were getting 7 hour stretches at night and 3-4 hour naps throughout the day before, you may have just gotten a magic baby. Half the women on this board are probably staring daggers at this post.
  • Both my kids were like this so I know no better. I know some kids don't sleep like DD but I thought this was the norm with most babies! 

Even a STM doesn't know everything :( 
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• Seriously though... 
    My LO has decided he's too good for sleep ( he's a total diva apprently ) and will get soooo tired he will have a full blown melt down where NOTHING calms him down unless it's a bottle ( doesn't matter if he just ate 30 mins ago) 

we usually go to bed about 12:30 and he sleeps through until 6:30/7:30 then he will go back to sleep ( i started work again and I wake him up at 9:30 to get him dressed and ready to go and I'll feed again here). The rest of the day e only takes cat naps 30 mins, 45mins MAYBE 1 hr -- by the time we get home he's exhausted and so tired he can't sleep. I don't know what to do. 
  • MamabeagleMamabeagle member
    edited March 2016
    If you were getting 7 hour stretches at night and 3-4 hour naps throughout the day before, you may have just gotten a magic baby. Half the women on this board are probably staring daggers at this post.
    So much this.