April 2016 Moms

Effectiveness of Membrane Sweep

I'm 38 weeks 3 days and is scheduled for my first membrane sweep today at 1pm. Can anyone share their experience and post sweep stories?

Re: Effectiveness of Membrane Sweep

• For me it was ineffective.  I found the procedure uncomfortable.  The next relatively natural thing that they tried was a balloon catheter (cervical ripening device) - in case you wanted to ask about it!  
  • It worked on the same day for my aunt. She got her sweep, walked around the mall for an hour and then the contractions hit. My coworker had it done and she went in 3 days later. Those are the only two ones I personally heard about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I had 3 done with my son. They did nothing. He was born 4 days after the last one.
  • Glad you asked this! I'm thinking about getting it done tomorrow (38w 4d). Fingers crossed it makes something happen!

Me: 23 Hubby: 26
    Married: April 2011
    Son: May 2014
    Baby #2 Due: April 4th, 2016
  • Ineffective for me.  I had my first at 40 weeks.  It was uncomfortable and I was told to walk around for an hour before returning home.  Nothing.  I had my second 5 days later.  Same thing...nothing.
  • edited March 2016
    I got mine done at just past 39 weeks with my last pregnancy. It was painful but pretty quick. I did lose part? of my mucous plug, but I didn't go into labor. I had to go in and get cervidil at 41 weeks.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • The sweep was a bit uncomfortable. I'm 3cm dilated. I had an spicy lunch afterwards and ran errands. After coming home to an hour nap, I woke up to intensed Braxton Hicks and has been losing my mucus plug since waking up. I'm just waiting for more exciting changes. Bring on the pain!
  • Glad you asked this! I'm thinking about getting it done tomorrow (38w 4d). Fingers crossed it makes something happen!
    I hope it's a success for the both of us! Keep us updated with updated. I wish you the best of luck!
  • @ShyLowe28 so glad to hear your update!!! Hoping your baby is on their way and that I won't be far behind :wink: 

Me: 23 Hubby: 26
    Married: April 2011
    Son: May 2014
    Baby #2 Due: April 4th, 2016
  • Those Braxton Hicks turned out to be early contractions. Around 10pm they grew in intensity at 10-15 minutes apart. I took a bath and stimulated my nipples a bit. Immediately after my bath, the contractions progressed to 5 minutes apart. I'm not 6 cm dilated and prepped to meet my baby girl.
  • Good luck!
  • I had my membranes swept with my last DS and my water broker about 36hrs later.   After the sweep I was cramping and was having mild contractions the next day.  So it was successful for me :) I was 41+ weeks.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker