January 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding check-in

How is it going with everyone?

We are still going strong EBF at 2 months, but I'm starting to think LO will click while eating no matter what. We've tried everything- different positions, relatching her a billion times, getting her tongue and lip tie removed, suck training- and nothing helps. She's 97th percentile for weight and the only issue is that she's taking in a bit of extra air, making her gassy at times, but it's driving me crazy that I can't figure out what the problem is!

LO was also having really mucousy poop and was rashy on and off, so I've cut the top 8 (wheat, peanut, tree nut, dairy, soy, egg, fish, shellfish), gluten, and corn out of my diet until we can get to the bottom of what's causing the issues.

Congrats to everyone who's made it this far!

Re: Breastfeeding check-in

• LO is almost 8 weeks. Even though I'm still on maternity leave I pump during the day and only nurse at night. Around 2-3 weeks DD would get so frustrated with my slow flow in the evening she would get really rough with my nipples. For my own sanity and my nipples we started giving a bottle in the evening which quickly spread to the day time hours as well. I pump frequently during the day and also after she nurses to keep my supply high. I'm trying to get a good stash in the freezer and right now can usually freeze between 6-12 ounces a day. Breastfeeding/pumping is so much more work and so much more demanding than I could have imagined (and I went in with my eyes wide open). My goal is to get to 6 months, but if it's too demanding when I get back to work I'll stop sooner.
  • BF is going well overall with LO. The first 4 weeks doing EBF were incredibly difficult physically and mentally that no one really prepared me for between us both learning and cluster feeding. The issue I ran into was we occasionally gave her pumped milk in a bottle starting around week 4, and she did great. Then around week 6 or 7, she just decided she didn't want to eat from the bottle at all! We had to experiment with different bottle types, positions, etc. and she finally started to eat a little for my mom and DH which was a relief to me since I went back to work part time this Monday. She's been eating little bits (2-3 oz at a feeding) at daycare and then seems to chow down when I nurse her after we get home. I go back full-time next week so I'm really hoping for the best with being able to find the balance of her eating during the day, and nursing in the morning and night while trying to keep strong and healthy physically myself. I've heard some babies basically only eat small amounts while mom is away during the day and wait til mom comes to basically cluster feed and catch up calories. I've been okay with supply and pumping at work this week so far. I unfortunately don't have a location locked down that has both no window on door AND a wall outlet, so I've been using the battery pack option in a single room restroom. I guess I'll have to invest in rechargeable batteries since this looks like the only option right now : ( I'm very nervous about the whole pumping when I'm managing some events soon since I'm in buildings at my college without any good private areas and I'll need the time to step away when I've been the go to person the whole event before LO. My goal is 6 or 8 months so we'll see how everything goes! Congrats to all as well who have attempted BF or made it to this point..it is very hard on a woman physically. I definitely plan to be very open with my LO one day if she chooses to have a family that I wish I had going into this!
  • Loading the player...
  • EBF for 11 weeks now and it's going pretty well for the most part. LO is not picky at all about whether he is getting a boob or a bottle as long as food is going into his piehole. He's a little chunk and jumps up significant percentiles every appointment (he started in the 13th). My only problem has been plugged ducts. I get them about once a week and boy are they painful! I have figured out how to deal with them, but this week I had the worst one to date. LO accidentally kicked my boob and I bawled.... I've considered pumping exclusively, but LO is a really efficient eater and takes less time than the pump and drains my boobs more efficiently. It's an adventure every day and the best cuddle time, so it's all worth it :)
  • @WineBaby122 my LO started clicking a while ago while bf and is going to be evaluated by a dentist on Monday for tongue and lip tie. I was hoping this would fix the clicking, but your experience tells me it may not!

As for me, we have been EBF for 12 weeks now. LO is gaining weight well and has taken a bottle a few times. I'm going to have to start replacing one feed with expressed breastmilk and pumping while she eats from a bottle though since I will be going back to work soon. I'm hoping that will help her transition to drinking from a bottle all day. 

Besides her tongue and lip ties, which don't cause me any pain, our only problem has been oversupply and LO has gas and minor reflux. My lactation consultant actually said my oversupply probably has helped her compensate for the tongue and lip ties and kept her gaining weight. She said we might start block feeding after she gets them fixed because the oversupply and the ties could all be causing her gas and reflux. I hate to mess with my supply too much though because I want to make sure I have enough!
  • DS is 9 weeks old and ebf is going well so far. With DS1 I had to stop at 8 weeks and switch to EPing, so so far this is much easier. DS only nurses for less than 10 minutes and I have an oversupply/OALD but he seems to be gaining well (will find out for sure at the dr. Tues) so I guess that's ok. I do wish he would sleep longer and nurse less at night though. On a good night he still only gives us a 3 hr stretch. I go back to work in less than 3 weeks and I haven't started pumping much yet and DS has never eaten much out of a bottle. We've really only tried a bottle a few times though so I am a little worried about that. I guess it's time to start practicing over the next 2 weeks!
  • Baby is 2 months today everthing seems to be going fine. The real test will be Monday when she has her 2 month check up, hasnt been seen since 2 weeks. But she fits great in 3 month stuff so I think she is gaining fine. It really is amazing to me how everything was terrible with my other two and how great this is going but I'm just grateful things are working.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • @jodiedrich18 I'm fairly certain your workplace is required to provide you with a private space that is not a bathroom to pump in!
  • @Cricket99 Have you considered taking lecithin to help with plugged ducts? I only had the occasional plugged duct during the year with DS1 and none so far with DS2 so I haven't tried it personally but I know how bad those hurt!bI've heard great things about it. 
    https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/

• It's not going so great here. LO has an inefficient suck that's caused my supply to drop.  The LC says he's only getting half of what he needs from me so we're stuck in the nurse-pump-bottle cycle and it's grueling. It takes almost an hour to feed him and he still want to eat every two hours.  I feel like I spend my life hooked up to a machine and I haven't noticed any increase in my production.  I'm not sure how much longer I want to keep doing this
  • 10 weeks here and everything has become "easy" (let's be real, breastfeeding is never 100% easy) since week 4. It's like it magically clicked that week - before then there was a lot of pain and I was questioning all the things that could be making it difficult even though babes weight gain was fine! Only thing now is we went from an EAS routine (no Y cause he won't nap more than a few minutes unless he's in my arms - we're working on it) to a EAESES routine lol. He's become quite the snacker and he's a terrible napper, so sometimes when he wakes in the middle of a nap and roots I feed him for a minute and he falls back to sleep. I'd like to break this habit, but I value his sleep more right now! He is overall doing great at night - going right back down after eating. 

He wasn't interested in the bottle (of breastmilk) for a while but that too seemed to just click one day and now he'll take it no problem, but where he falls asleep after nursing he won't with a bottle...still figuring out what to do in that situation for night time. We're having our first real date night out next week where I hope to put him down after feeding and he'll stay down until we get home, but if he does wake up quickly like he sometimes does after the first put down of the night, I worry having some more milk in a bottle from grandma won't lead to going right back to sleep like nursing does with me. I guess all we can do is try!
  • AchaeAchae member
    Still nursing and pumping has gone well my first week back. I may need to see if they make larger collection bottles for my pump so I spill less -.- I much prefer my location this year (last time pumping it was on a bench in the locker room with people coming and going. This year I'm in a locked room, I just cover the cameras so nothing can be seen. I just wish when I got home LO wasn't so fussy. It seems he wants to nap for a bit, hang out on the boob, maybe be awake for 30 minutes and then back to on the boob and asleep by 8. 
  • Breastfeeding is finally going very well. We had some hurdles the first 5 weeks until i saw an LC. It was the best decision I ever made. We also realized she has a dairy allergy. Little girl will be 9 weeks tomorrow. I go back to work April 11. I'm pumping as often as I can. Pumping after every time she nurses just doesn't work. I plan to nurse before I leave for work every morning, pump during my 30 minute break and, since i have an hour commute pumping before I leave for the day. I'm concerned I won't be able to keep up. Or my supply will drop and all those other fun things that can happen. I work in a fast paced, fine dining kitchen and pumping every few hours I just wouldn't get anything accomplished. Every drop pumped is positive so I'm just trying not to stress
  • @ju111310 I hadn't looked into that, but I will for sure! Thanks!
  • 8 weeks here! Just started the mini pill this week and was super nervous about my supply dropping. So far so good. I have been supplementing a bottle here or there, and my pedi just recommended Enfamil AR, because Lucas is super gassy and a spitter. (with both breast and bottle) 
    I've done this 3 other times before, and this kid is certainly the easiest. My others would not take a bottle or a pacifier. So I was pretty much the bottle and pacifier. I am more than happy to pump and pass him off to dad.

Side note - I highly recommend Earth Mama Angel Baby Milkmaid Tea. I have tried a lot of teas for supply but this one really works well. Plus it taste the best. 
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • It is great to read the variation of experiences; thank you all for sharing. 
    My girl is 9 weeks today and has her two month appointment next week. She was in the 20th percentile for weight and 90th for height at birth. I had some tough weeks but still BFing. I have just enough supply so I only get to pump for a stash once in the middle of the night so I don't deprive her. It is taxing but what needs to be done. Even then. I only get three ounces. She has taken a bottle just fine a few times. The past two days only there has been one poop and loads of pee so I am becoming nervous if she is getting enough. My hope is that she absorbing more as she seems to have slept more also (a growth spurt perhaps?). 
  • I've been super lucky with a baby that nursed easily from the beginning. I've been pumping a lot more than just once after the first feeding in the morning. At each feeding I'm currently able to pump about 4-5 ounces but he only eats 2.5-3 oz at a time, so I've been trying to give him bottles of pumped milk and then pump in place of the feeding so I can stash some away... Little by little. Still bf at night so I don't have to pump in the motn. Luckily he goes right back down in the night!
  • Gianna is 10 weeks. We are still breastfeeding but also supplementing. My goal from the beginning has been to eventually EBF. But sometimes she straight up refuses to nurse. It's so frustrating. My short term goal is to get her to nurse when I'm with her and only get formula while I'm at work. We have seen so many lactation consultants and can't figure out why she refuses to nurse sometimes. It's so frustrating. 
  • 9 weeks in with my little guy and all is going as expected with ebf. His tounge tie was clipped in hospital at two days so, it took a week for us both to recover and learn to latch again. It threw me a bit. I had to make up for his high pallette issues by really squishin my nip and breast into shape. I'm so glad he's big enough I don't have to do that so much his suck is more powerful now. Although there are still clicks, it's fine, it's just his high pallette from having such a severe tie. Can't be lazy with the latch. My dd had a tie but I was able to nurse beautifully with out intervention and I had only mild pain due to having flat nips, pulling out the adhesions and what not. I don't pump, I've never been too successful with it. I make just enough. I don't have the fastest let down so sometimes I still I have to spend 20-30 min at times to nurse and use breast compression. Ds is 75th in height and 45th in wieght, that's been consistent since birth. Nursing seems to be harder on everyone else in my household than it is me. My dd is four so she misses me since a huge block of the day I'm nursing. And now that I get a nap out of baby in the afternoon I have to bust ass and get the house in order instead of play. But she is sympathetic because she remembers nursing because she self weaned at 3.5.My DH is thrown because he didn't realize how much I did before with the house and dd and he doesn't do as well. And he forgot how intense nursing was before solids! I breastfed my dd for so long he has better memories of the golden age of nursing when it only takes 5-10 minutes and, you can ask them
    to wait, they latch on thier own and ect. I plan to bf until ds self weans like  dd. It will be interesting to see how long ds will have a virgin gut compared to dd. He's much bigger and I picture him getting into solids sooner than dd. 
  • BFing has been a real struggle, but now it's going great. I've been through latch problems, cracked and bleeding nipples, thrush, and lots of clogged ducts. After some body work, tongue tie being clipped, lecithin for the clogged ducts (this really helps!), working on increasing my supply, and using nipple shields, I am finally enjoying breastfeeding. She loves it too. :) I'm just hoping my supply stays strong, and I'm going to try to go off the nipple shields soley out of convenience. 9 weeks today.
  • 8 weeks here and we are mostly EPing with some comfort nursing mixed in. LO is a lazy eater combined with me having a forceful letdown made nursing only so difficult. I'm happy to be able to still give breastmilk and I have a good supply so I have made progress on a freezer stash but being tied to a pump is really starting to wear me out. Nighttime is the worst because in addition to pumping I have to also feed and change diapers. Thankfully DH helps but its still a lot of work. You ladies who nurse, supplement and pump are amazing, I can't imagine how you do it!
    I plan to start supplementing when I go back to work but I honestly have no idea how to approach it.
  • Ebf here. I'm getting so frustrated because LO absolutely refuses to take a bottle. We're doing all the right things, introduced one at three weeks, but she absolutely refuses! Basically I have to be by her side 24/7 so I can feed her in case she gets hungry. I know thus is how people have done it for centuries, but it's making it really hard to go to the gym or anywhere else for even an hour of alone time. 

Also, for some reason she gets really angry sometimes when I offer her my breast even when she's obviously hungry. What could that be about?? I've tried changing positions, removing or adding a blanket, rocking, boppy, and more. Any ideas? 
  • The first week was rough only because I was on alot of pain meds and he is a sleeper. But since then it has been great. I had to go back to work at 6wks and he will be 13 weeks tomorrow. He had never had a bottle before that and he did great and Still does. Even if he just has a bottle when I pick him up he still likes to nurse for a bit which I enjoy since I just went almost 10 hrs without seeing him. I would say that this experience was easier than my daughter in the beginning but she figured it out and it stopped hurting after a few weeks.  I plan to nurse my son til he is 1 like I did with my daughter. Thank Goodness For a great neighbor who helped me out with breast milk or I would have had to give him formula.  I had a very stressful maternity leave and wasn't able to pump to build a supply for when I went back to work.  The only time he gets pumped milk is at daycare other wise he nurses. It's a lot of work but I enjoy doing it.  
  • @Blueyedsky LO has been getting angry at me sometimes when I offer my breast too. Sometimes I think it's because she's working on a poo and that just feels uncomfortable, but other times I have no idea. I just take a break and offer it to her again in a few minutes and eventually she eats.
  • Cricket99 said:
    EBF for 11 weeks now and it's going pretty well for the most part. LO is not picky at all about whether he is getting a boob or a bottle as long as food is going into his piehole. He's a little chunk and jumps up significant percentiles every appointment (he started in the 13th). My only problem has been plugged ducts. I get them about once a week and boy are they painful! I have figured out how to deal with them, but this week I had the worst one to date. LO accidentally kicked my boob and I bawled.... I've considered pumping exclusively, but LO is a really efficient eater and takes less time than the pump and drains my boobs more efficiently. It's an adventure every day and the best cuddle time, so it's all worth it :)
    I've had mastitis twice and another plugged duct after that. I'm constantly massaging my boobs for fear that it will happen again!
  • Sahara26 said:
    @WineBaby122 my LO started clicking a while ago while bf and is going to be evaluated by a dentist on Monday for tongue and lip tie. I was hoping this would fix the clicking, but your experience tells me it may not!

As for me, we have been EBF for 12 weeks now. LO is gaining weight well and has taken a bottle a few times. I'm going to have to start replacing one feed with expressed breastmilk and pumping while she eats from a bottle though since I will be going back to work soon. I'm hoping that will help her transition to drinking from a bottle all day. 

Besides her tongue and lip ties, which don't cause me any pain, our only problem has been oversupply and LO has gas and minor reflux. My lactation consultant actually said my oversupply probably has helped her compensate for the tongue and lip ties and kept her gaining weight. She said we might start block feeding after she gets them fixed because the oversupply and the ties could all be causing her gas and reflux. I hate to mess with my supply too much though because I want to make sure I have enough!
    I have a bit of an oversupply too, but I think LO would have still gained fine even if I didn't, as she's 97th % for weight. All the procedure seemed to do for us was make her hate pacifiers, which sucks. I hope you get better results!
  • jem8407 said:
    It is great to read the variation of experiences; thank you all for sharing. 
    My girl is 9 weeks today and has her two month appointment next week. She was in the 20th percentile for weight and 90th for height at birth. I had some tough weeks but still BFing. I have just enough supply so I only get to pump for a stash once in the middle of the night so I don't deprive her. It is taxing but what needs to be done. Even then. I only get three ounces. She has taken a bottle just fine a few times. The past two days only there has been one poop and loads of pee so I am becoming nervous if she is getting enough. My hope is that she absorbing more as she seems to have slept more also (a growth spurt perhaps?). 
    Isn't 3 ounces pretty good for an additional pumping session? I know most breastfed babies top out at 4 or 5 ounces, even when they are older, so 3 doesn't seem bad!
  • fishee333 said:
    BFing has been a real struggle, but now it's going great. I've been through latch problems, cracked and bleeding nipples, thrush, and lots of clogged ducts. After some body work, tongue tie being clipped, lecithin for the clogged ducts (this really helps!), working on increasing my supply, and using nipple shields, I am finally enjoying breastfeeding. She loves it too. :) I'm just hoping my supply stays strong, and I'm going to try to go off the nipple shields soley out of convenience. 9 weeks today.
    DS used a nipple shield until around 8 or 9 weeks and then we weaned off. It took a little practice but once he got the hang of it we were good!

What kind of body work are you doing with LO? This is pretty much the only thing I haven't tried for the clicking. I'd like to avoid taking her to the chiro, but if you have any techniques or websites that involve infant massage and whatnot I'd be very interested!
  • @WineBaby122 LO saw a massage therapist that specializes in infant craniosacral therapy. I highly recommend it, I think it helped a ton (she has really relaxed her mouth/jaw and shoulders after just two 30minute sessions) and LO LOVED it! It's nothing that I could repeat at home since it requires specialized training, but she hasn't needed anymore work since

Great to hear you were able to wean off the nipple shield around this time!
  • We're at 10 weeks here! Though between all my babies I've breastfed for 33 months! Almost 3 years of nursing! This baby has been awesome, kinda gassy, but mostly handles it well and a little spitty but not too bad. My supply is a little excessive and occasionally I have to express for that reason, and it can be a little overwhelming for my little man and I just feel bad that I can't control that with a dial or something lol! 

For OP: when your baby is latched do you make sure her lips are flayed out? My daughter had a tendency to tuck her lips in and where it wasn't a big enough problem to cause me pain she did make more sounds when she did that- you just skip your finger under her lip and flip them out. 
  • Been EBF since about 1 week old and it's 8 weeks now. Things are going good, finally! Had issues with plugged ducts and issues from having my nipples pierced back in the day - dumb 18YO thinking I knew everything!! Only problem is dealing with a massive over supply. I spend all night engorged and can pump 5oz in 6 minutes from one side! I guess it's better than not enough, but it makes plugged ducts worse and even when she sleeps longer I have to do something so it's not unberable. I've been working with lactation specialists to slow it down, but have any of you ladies tried anything that works well? I just feel bad bc on top of me being uncomfortable, my LO is constantly throwing up after the breast but not from the bottle so it's clearly bc she is taking too much. I even recently lost half of my blood volume following complications from my D&c and I was back to being engorged in 2 days. :( 
  • @WineBaby122 the three ounces is from the breast I did not feed on, not after. Thanks for the encouragement though! 
  • jem8407 said:
    @WineBaby122 the three ounces is from the breast I did not feed on, not after. Thanks for the encouragement though! 
    I just meant pumping in general on top of also breastfeeding. I still think 3 from one side is great! I had a weighted feed with an LC for her clicking issues and age got 3oz from the first side and 1 from the second and she said that was great.
  • @jem8407 Our Dr said it is normal for the poops to start slowing down around now. Should still have plenty of pees, and poop should still be the same texture and color generally. 

Me and LO are at 9 weeks now! I'm lucky that he has had no problem taking a bottle the whole time. Been pumping when I can, usually just once a day. I only work part time so I won't have to worry about that. I think I might have a little bit of oversupply, since I've gotten plugged ducts twice and even had mastitis last week. Boy was that fun! Hit me hard and fast, like an 18-wheeler! But when I started the antibiotics, my supply dropped like crazy. LO went from feeding 15-20 mins on one side, to going 35-45 mins on both. He would still be crying and hungry, so we started offering him formula after. My supply us back up to normal now though, so that's good. 
    His pediatrician wants us to keep supplementing with formula 1-2 times a day to keep his weight gain up. He was less than 1% at birth, and is now up to about 1% for two months old. Only gained 7oz in the last 2 weeks. Had to start him on reflux medicine too. That may have been a reason why he stopped gaining so much. 
    I want to BF til at least 6 months. But I want him to be healthy no matter what. I'm lucky, he's a pretty happy baby overall. 
  • We're still breastfeeding, pumping, and supplementing with formula. We do weighted feeds almost every feeding when home, except motn because I don't want to turn a light on. Usually I'm engorged motn and the first feeding or two of the day so I know he's getting enough and I have physical relief. But usually around noon and through the afternoon and evening he gets only 1 or 2 oz combined so I have to supplement with either pumped milk or formula. It's exhausting!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • @MissMheMhe what scale do you use for your weighted feeds?  I was looking into getting one, but was reading a lot of mixed reviews
  • MissMheMheMissMheMhe member
    edited March 2016
    @nackie I have a Weigh to Grow scale that was given to me by a friend. It's pretty accurate.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • The first 5 weeks were the hardest most difficult weeks of my life because of breastfeeding but I'm so glad I stuck with it because now it is really easy.  I feel really fortunate because I know it doesn't always get better for others.  Now if only she would take a freaking bottle or pacifier!  I wish I hadn't listened to the doctors and had introduced an artificial nipple earlier. 
  • Yeah I'm glad we didn't follow Dr's advice and introduced a bottle & pacifier early, LO is super easy going with whatever we put in her mouth. I've started weaning her off my nipple shield finally and it's been easy :) She just wants milk and doesn't care how she gets it.
  • @beccanforrest22 - I'm trying to figure out whether it's the antibiotics or the mastitis itself that causes a drop in supply. How long did it take to bounce back? 
  • EBF here DD is 12w. The first month was hard obviously but I'm surprised how easy it's come for both of us. I've always had lots of milk and she's had a great latch and super efficient (feeds for 5-10 mins). She's been 80%+ for weight and 99%+ for height and hasn't had a drop of formula yet! :) I'll pump regularly so DH can give a bottle. Going back to work in 2 weeks so will be pumping more for nanny and have a decent freezer stash already (about 10 bags of 4-5oz). My goal was 6 weeks but we've doubled that and no sign of stopping! Yay!