January 2016 Moms

Bottles/Nipple Flow

Have any of you ladies put rice cereal or oatmeal in LO's bottles yet?  I was told that we could to help LO with reflux issues and spitting up.  We've been doing it on occasion but have stopped doing it regularly because every time we poked a hole into the nipples or have gone up a size, it's been a nightmare.  We use the Dr. Browns bottles which we love and LO has had no issues with.  When I bought the size 2 nipples, the flow was still too slow with 2 tsp. of rice cereal mixed into 4.5 oz of milk.  So then DH or I would poke a hole with a pin into the nipple and we can't seem to get the darn hole big enough for the flow to be consistent but not too big that the milk just comes out so fast, DS is choking on it.  DS ends up choking on how fast it's coming out, so we have to constantly pull the bottle out of his mouth and it makes the feedings a mess and he gets so angry.

I am thinking maybe there is another brand and style of bottles/nipples that may be better, once rice cereal starts to become more regular for DS.  Does anybody have any suggestions on different bottles brands to try that are similar to a Dr. Browns style, but have had success with them, when using rice cereal or oatmeal to mix with formula?

Re: Bottles/Nipple Flow

• I don't have any experience with this but I'm curious if it has helped with the reflux. My dr recommends us to do this too but I'm so hesitant because I really didn't want to introduce anything other than formula yet. 
  • Rice Cereal helped my LO's reflux but I'm doing okay using Dr Brown bottles with a size 2 nipple. I only use 1 tsp for 4oz though. Tried oatmeal and it was too thick! 
  • Loading the player...
  • We did this for my son use avent variable flow nipples. Can find them on Amazon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Rice Cereal helped my LO's reflux but I'm doing okay using Dr Brown bottles with a size 2 nipple. I only use 1 tsp for 4oz though. Tried oatmeal and it was too thick! 
    @BabyArnold2016 - how many times a day are you giving him rice in the bottle? 
  • @BelleZBoo We were giving DS 2-3 rice cereal bottles a day.  It ended up being just about every other bottle had 2tsp. per 4.5 oz.  Then we would start just doing it for his last 2 bottles of the night.  So his 5/6 pm bottle, and then the 8/9 pm bottle.  It helped to keep his stomach settled for nighttime sleep as well as full, so that he wasn't waking within 2-3 hours wanting more food.  
  • I use playtex ventaire medium flow nipples when I use rice cereal. Usually 1tbsp per 2oz. It has helped with his reflux and he's able to drink it fairly easy without it coming out too fast to where it just comes pouring out of the sides of his mouth. 
  • Also I normally just use the cereal one time at day at his night time feeding but was told by dr I could use it twice a day. 
  • Difrax bottles and their 1 2 3 nipple system are good. I don't use rice or oatmeal but Nutriton from Nutricia brand which serve the same purpose thickening the milk. These may not be sold in the USA or go under another name, not sure. But try googling it. I live in the netherlands. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • BelleZBoo said:
    Rice Cereal helped my LO's reflux but I'm doing okay using Dr Brown bottles with a size 2 nipple. I only use 1 tsp for 4oz though. Tried oatmeal and it was too thick! 
    @BabyArnold2016 - how many times a day are you giving him rice in the bottle? 
    Mostly at night. Starting around 7pm..so maybe 3 bottles a day
  • Thanks Ladies! I am going to look into the Ventiair and Avent bottles today when I go to Target.  He will be 4 months old on the 16th of April, and I know that's usually the age when Pediatricians say you can start giving them rice cereal more regularly, so I want to make sure we have bottles that are going to work for this.  Now that I plan on doing it with every bottle, but I think so far, we've ruined 4-5 nipples from poking holes that were just too big. :neutral: 
  • 2winterbabies2winterbabies member
    edited March 2016
    I use playtex ventaire medium flow nipples when I use rice cereal. Usually 1tbsp per 2oz. It has helped with his reflux and he's able to drink it fairly easy without it coming out too fast to where it just comes pouring out of the sides of his mouth. 
    With my DS I used the Playtex brand too but with the drop in liners instead. We had to use the medium flow (#2 on some nipple brands) because the rice cereal just thickened the formula too much. Oatmeal wasn't good to put in the bottle. Oatmeal always clogged the nipple flow. I'm planning on starting cereal for reflux as well but I'm waiting until 4 months.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• Glad to see this post! Our pediatrician wants us to give babe some cereal in hopes of making the formula a bit heavier and fulfilling to her. Also, he reflux has gotten worse and it's definitely not helping with the colic. Even the smallest amount of cereal won't pass through the size 1's... here's to hopping this helps! 
  • I just bought a Playtex Ventaire and a 3-6 month nipple that has medium flow.  Mainly because Target did not have the option flow nipples for Avent bottles.  I almost went with a traditional Avent bottle with their stage 2 or 3 nipple, I can't remember, but the Playtex was on sale and if it doesn't work out, It's not a lot of money wasted.  I hope this one works out well.  I will be trying it later this afternoon with one of DS's feedings.  I'll stop back and post on my thoughts. 
  • Before changing to a faster flow nipple, try changing formulas as long as your little ones doctor is okay with it. Always consult them before doing so. Enfamil AR and Similac Spit Up have rice in them to help with reflux so they thicken in the stomach. DD2 is on Enfamil AR. We use the Dr. Browns Stage 2 nipples. 
  • Thanks, @PedsIsHardcore! LO is on Nutramigen right now and it works really well for him.  He still has some tummy issues from time to time, so I don't see us getting off of it anytime soon.  

I will say that the Playtex worked well with the medium flow nipple.  I bought the 9oz bottles in a 3 pack.  It comes with the medium flow nipples attached and then I bought a pack of fast flow too. DS gets a 5oz bottle before bed and I put 3tsp of rice cereal in it.  He did pretty good on it.  He was a little slower to eat it than when there isn't any cereal in his bottle.  I'm happy with them so far.  We will see how they continue to work for him. 
  • Brynlee has been getting cereal in her bottles this weekend. I'm continuing to use the Dr. Brown's anti-colic bottles, but moved up to the size 2 nipples. She's actually doing really well! The spit up has stopped drastically, although she's still a bit gassy and fussy. It could also be that her Zantac dose got upped to 0.5 mls 3 times a day...
    Side note, she also isn't dribbling formula out of the corners of her mouth and we aren't changing outfits 3 times a day for being soaked in formula! Hurray!