Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Pumping Moms - Seeking Advice

Sorry if this is in the wrong place! I'm expecting a little girl in May, and I am planning to probably exclusively pump. It is not for medical reasons, though, so insurance will not cover a hospital-grade pump. They will, however, cover a Medela in-style pump. So, basically, my question is... would you advise using a Medela in-style pump to exclusively pump or splurging out of pocket on a hospital-grade pump? And, if going hospital-grade, is there any that you might recommend?

Thanks for any help!
~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
Married: Oct 20, 2013
BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
EDD 1: May 12, 2016
DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
EDD 2: June 20, 2020

Re: Pumping Moms - Seeking Advice

• Options
    I don't have much advice other than that you can also rent hospital grade pumps. Maybe that would make more sense than buying one. No idea how the prices compare.
  • Options
    Medela pumps work great I love mine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can't speak for the hospital grade ones but I think my medela in style works great so far. I've been pumping about 5 oz per day so DH can help introduce the bottle and start a small stockpile for when she goes to daycare 
  • Options
    I exclusively pumped for a while with a non medical grade and know someone who continues to exclusively pump with non medical grade and it works great. I used an Ameda purely yours and she used a Medela pump in style. 
    Ultimately there will be plenty of other factors that will also contribute to your success. 
    Have an LC check how your flanges fit, you may need a bigger or smaller size. I suggest checking out kellymom.com for pumping tips and look into hands on pumping. 
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I have the medela pump in style and it works just fine. :) I used the one in the hospital too and there really isn't much difference...
  • Options
    The pump in style is amazing! I notice very little difference between it and hospital grade. I'm EP, so that thing gets a LOT of use. 
  • Options
    I pretty much EP with the Medela. I only nurse my LO once during the night (the only time she's patient enough to BF). I pump between 4-7 oz at each pumping session. I don't have experience with a hospital pump. I make sure to use massage and compression/ pump beyond the breast being empty / pump as close to every 2-3 hours as possible to keep supply up. I'm working on a freezer stash for my return to work. Like other posters, I don't think you need a hospital grade pump.
  • Options

I use the PISA, though I don't EP I do primarily pump/bottle feed during the week now that I'm back at work.  I have a close friend that uses it to EP and she hasn't had any issues.  my SIL rented hospital grade for the first 3 months because her baby was a premie, and she thought it did bring in her milk faster than the PISA would have, but she didn't really NEED it.  Additionally, hospital grade pumps are GIANT and HEAVY.  you're not going to be able to drag it to the office and then home again with you on a daily basis (assuming that's a concern you have).

I thought I wanted to EP too, and then I wound up liking nursing (and finding it easier because of the lack of set up/cleanup/having to find time to pump while the baby was awake, etc).  I did a lot of research on it, and decided I'd start off with my PISA and if I felt I needed a hospital grade pump, I'd rent it.  I never needed it.  I had planned all along to actually nurse for the first month regardless because the baby is better at building supply than a pump is, and I just continued to do that for the most part until I went back to work.

• Options
    I wound up ordering the PISA through insurance :) Thanks for all of the help.
    I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do for feeding, but since the PISA was free and well-reviewed... seemed the obvious choice.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    I have exclusively pumped for both of my kids and the medela pump in style is perfect! There's very little difference between the PISA and hospital grade. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got the PISA through insurance and then rented the medela symphony from the hospital due to tongue tie feeding issues.  I find the hospital grade symphony more powerful and efficient but the PISA works well too.  The reason I rented the symphony is that my LC said that non-hospital grade pumps are not built to be used 8 times a day everyday and that the motor would burn out.  
  • Options
    Lurker: I exclusively pumped with my DD, every two hours, and was pumping 16 oz at each session (not a brag, just saying that so you know how much it was used, I wasn't pumping a few ounces here and there after feedings). I had the Medela Pump in Style and it was awesome. I had zero issues with it, and it never burnt out. I no longer have it (large gap between kids, didn't have space to store, etc), but I passed it onto a few friends who couldn't afford pumps, and it is now on its 6th person and finally died. My insurance only covers a certain brand, so I am getting that other one as a spare, but I loved my Medela PISA so much, that I went and paid for a new one (for this baby) out of pocket, to be used as my main pump.