Health & Exercise

Zoloft, or not?

Hi there, we just found out we're expecting in September.  Saw the OB this morning, and basically he said it was up to me if I wanted to keep taking my Zoloft or not.  He said they're not really sure of the affect it could have on the baby, but if I really need it, I could probably take it.  If I don't need it, I should stop.  I'm so torn.  Zoloft has made a HUGE difference in my depression.  Since lowering my dose a few days ago (on the recommendation of my GP), I have already started crying more, which may be from the meds, or maybe just from preg hormones.  I want this pregnancy to be a happy one, but even more than that, I want this baby healthy.

So what did you do?  Did you keep taking Zoloft throughout your pregnancy?  What did your doctor recommend?

Re: Zoloft, or not?

• My doctor told me to go off my SSRI when DH and I started TTC, and this is consistent with everything I've read and what I already knew (biology student). There is no concrete evidence saying "Yes, your baby will be born with malformations" but this is only because there have been little to no studies done with this drug on pregnant women. Evidence from animal studies are a bit worrying. Basically the thing with Zoloft is that if the benefits of taking the drug outway the possible risks to the fetus, take the medication. If you can sweat it out for nine months, you should.

HOWEVER. This is going to sound really, really bad and I'm sorry in advance: You are already in your second trimester, and if anything were going to happen, it already has. At this point you might as well stay on the medication since it does seem that it really helps you, but tell your doctor so you can keep a close eye on your baby. <3
  • I'm currently taking Hydroxyz (also called Hydroxyline) to help me deal with anxiety and mood issues.  It's not as effective as Zoloft or Lamictol but it's the lowest dosage anti-anxiety med they offer, is baby safe, and extremely quick acting.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I think that you should speak with a naturopathic doctor about alternative treatments during your pregnancy. There are things you can do to stabilize your mood and not have the "lows" be as low. They're not as easy as taking medication, but they are effective (though not necessarily as effective as the medication).
  • I personally decided to go ahead with zoloft in my pregnancy. All three of my children are wonderfully healthy. It is much more important that you take care of yourself while carrying that baby. I wish that I had gone on it instead of being so stubborn with my first born, as I do notice he has more anxiety than the other two. I always second guess if it was my stress levels during his pregnancy.

On another note, I dealt with anxiety and depression for over a decade and am now learning ways to manage stress and hormone levels with the use of yoga, meditation, mindfulness, and essential oils. I am always here to talk and share my experience - this is such a difficult subject.
    Alicia
    Mom to Three Sweet Things
    Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness