July 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• I enjoy a good Lofthouse/"cupcake" cookie... DS demands them when he sees them in the grocery store. I will say, though, that yesterday I had a bite of one after DS had scraped off the icing, and it sucked absolutely all of the moisture out of my mouth. Cup of milk to wash it down for the save, though!
  • Loading the player...
  • My u/o, I side eye anyone who buys a bunny during Easter for their kids then dumps them off at a shelter because you're crap kids are bored with it.
    So much this. Same for people who buy puppies for their kids for Christmas, but aren't willing to accept their responsibility to care for and raise the dog for the rest of its life. Puppies are wonderful and cute, but they grow fast. Make sure you are ready for a family dog when that puppy stage is over and the kids don't think the responsibilities involved are a novelty anymore.
  • Those cookies are like, pure liquid gross somehow. Yuck.

UO: I don't care if I'm supposed to leave my nipples alone. I have lightening tits and I'm expressing milk when I need to because I can't deal with it. Everyone keeps telling me not to touch, but they hurt and expressing a little milk feels like a big relief! I feel like a little kid with adults telling me not to touch my own body and I don't like it...
    Whaaaaaat? F them!
  • @kdm06c Little boys are all sorts of rad. When I first started nannying, I had two girls, and my boss told me she was pregnant....I jokingly said "I only watch girls....." She had a boy. Now I have had 12 nanny kids, and only three of them were girls, and nine were boys! 
    @LadyFleck the woman in the gym bathroom who looked at my belly with an 'I smell shit' face didn't seem excited for my pregnancy. She did look shocked and mortified when I leaned over to her and said 'Yeah, there's a baby in there, bitch'. She wasn't a snotty 'fit chick', either, she had far from the perfect body and just seemed like she wanted to give my belly a judgemental stare. 
    Shout out to the two 'fit chicks' who had walked past me earlier, one pointed to me and said something to her friend, and they both looked and smiled. People who are happy with themselves normally don't make a habit of being shitty to others, fyi. 

I literally laughed out loud at your retort! I never said we can't set those people straight and I would've died to see the look on her face AFTER you made that comment!
  • @DobbysSock I'm sorry that made you feel like shit. That does suck.

Also, I may or may not have sexually harassed males in my younger/bolder/single days and commented on their biceps, etc.....I am positive I was an asshat. 

• @Nerdchild see, I personally think that's fine. I'm willing to bet though that no part of your conversation after the initial question consisted of you saying "oh you're tiny/oh you're huge/are you sure it's not twins??" ;)

For my own pregnancies, once I've CLEARLY popped I don't mind people I'm talking to asking if I'm pregnant or when I'm due. When people asked earlier in this pregnancy, before I would have been showing if it wasn't a second pregnancy and/or didn't already have a tummy before getting pregnant, it annoyed the hell out of me because I felt like they were taking a risk asking someone who's not yet obviously visibly pregnant. Especially with my body type - I tend to carry weight in my stomach, so I might have just gained a few pounds for all they knew.
  • @DobbysSock Oh god no! I think when she told me her due date I said something like 'Yay! Long before the weather gets too hot!' and mentioned how miserable I expect to be near the end of June/beginning of July when it's normally in the triple digits.  I think because of my e.d. history I am reluctant to comment on other peoples' bodies.
  • KASGKASG member
    My boring UO: I HATE the Trefoils girl scout cookies. Shortbread is boring. I don't even like Lorna Doones that much. But, I dislike a lot of stuff other people love. Case in point: Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Teena Marie...
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• @Natinat6  Have you seen this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7OXDWof30
    Fair warning I was crying by the end because there is an insane amount of truth to it. The bit about "the son of a kid you used to go swimming with" hit hard. When we got pregnant I'll admit I was hoping for a girl because I wanted the opportunity to raise a strong independent and capable daughter in today's messed up society. Once we found out it's a boy it became how do I raise an independent, capable and kind son who is strong enough to not let his peers turn him into a douchecanoe. I think my biggest parenting fear is my son turning out like one of the boys in the video. There's so much pressure to fit in and the joke around like the guys, and even if he doesn't believe in what he's saying, he's still perpetuating. @kdm06c What conversations do you have with your boys? 
  • @DobbysSock Yes! I have been dreading being so far along in Texas heat! I've been stressing more about that than about birth!
  • LadyFleck said:
    @Natinat6  Have you seen this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7OXDWof30
    Fair warning I was crying by the end because there is an insane amount of truth to it. The bit about "the son of a kid you used to go swimming with" hit hard. When we got pregnant I'll admit I was hoping for a girl because I wanted the opportunity to raise a strong independent and capable daughter in today's messed up society. Once we found out it's a boy it became how do I raise an independent, capable and kind son who is strong enough to not let his peers turn him into a douchecanoe. I think my biggest parenting fear is my son turning out like one of the boys in the video. There's so much pressure to fit in and the joke around like the guys, and even if he doesn't believe in what he's saying, he's still perpetuating. @kdm06c What conversations do you have with your boys? 

I can't tell you how often I have conversations with my son about knowing in his heart what is right and wrong. We teach every day about making good choices and helping our friends make good choices, too. I want to empower my son to feel like he has the ability to better himself and from there, better those around him.

At 6 he has already had to make difficult decisions about who he sits next to bc he can't make good decisions during circle time (i.e. can't stop talking or keep his hands to himself). He made his OWN choice to sit elsewhere bc it was "the right thing to do". It starts day 1.

And don't ever stop yourself or others from handing out (appropriate) consequences for their choices, good or bad. If a child is raised with a sense of personal accountability, they will know what is right and what is wrong, even if they slip up now and again.

This gives me hope.
  • Yes @LadyFleck accountability is huge here too! 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Nerdchild said:
    @PhoebeJune1984 My favorite is when we tell people we are having a girl and they look at my husband and say 'I'm sorry'. He immediately launches into all the things he wants to teach her to do with cars, how she will learn to shoot his guns, teaching her to play video games, etc.  He does admit that he will probably be wrapped around her little finger, but I doubt a son would have been any different.
    I don't get people. They are so dumb. When we kind of realized we were most likely having another girl, my husband was more disappointed about the fact that our Team Green experience was ruined, than the fact that our second was another girl and we are almost 100% sure that we are done. I am waiting for the stupid "oh, gotta try again for that boy!" comments that will come with the birth of this child, and for my poor husband to have to repeat himself over and over that he isn't shooting (literally) for a boy, he just wanted another kid. He has already mentioned that he is not looking forward to having to defend himself when it comes to the fact that he isn't disappointed that he isn't having a boy. There was one mom from my former BMB that just had her third girl, and when she posted on FB about the sex of kid #3, the announcement was flooded with "Poor (husband's name)!", "Better keep trying for that boy!", and comments like that. Her husband was actually hoping that the third one would be another girl, so he just kind of sat back like "WTF? Cant they just say congratulations?"