Trying to Get Pregnant

opk for the first time

So i did my FIRST month of my OPK. I followed the instructions except i did it once a day. It suggested twice but said once was ok. I didn't get any LH surge detected but im pretty confident i did ovulate. I do get EWCM (sorry if TMI). Is it easy to miss the LH surge? I can't help but wonder if something is wrong with me m(i know you can't tell me that) or if i did something wrong. Does anyone else not get LH surge detected? I'm very regular in my cycle so I'm not overly concerned.

Re: opk for the first time

• I very rarely if ever turn a positive OPK, but temping verifies that I did O.

There are people who never turn a +OPK. I wouldn't be concerned about it.
  • It is sometimes possible to miss your surge, but it's even more possible to get EWCM and not ovulate (happens to me all the time). I would keep testing until you get your period, if I were you.  In my experience I get a positive OPK for 2 days in a row around ovulation time.  But, other ladies can never turn an OPK positive.  The only way to confirm ovulation for sure is temping every morning.
    Sorry if that was a roundabout answer.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've read that daily tests can miss a woman's LH surge, in the completely normal circumstance that it rises and falls quickly over a matter of hours. I only test once daily and when I use OPK that use a strict "yes/no" threshold (i.e. the digital ones), sometimes it misses my ovulation.  When I use a daily test where two lines = LH surge, I've never missed it.  Usually I will get a faint line the day before and the day after O, too. I prefer those test trips for that reason, ain't no time to test 2x/day!  And I like to see my LH levels rise and fall.  Would be nice if all OPK showed that.

I agree temping BBT will help confirm the meaning of your EWCM. 

Good luck!
    Me: 29, DH:38
    Met: 2009, Married: 2012
    TTC#1 Since Jan. 2015
  • KarliQ88KarliQ88 member
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for info ladies. All so new to me. Literally our first month trying...last month was more NTNP. It's all so confusing!! I don't want to freak my husband out by him feeling like he needs to "perform" so i just dont talk about this. I need to read up n BBT i just struggle with my unpredictable work schedule on doing it the same time everyday which is why i was trying to rely on CM and OPK. I guess we will find out if it was effective later this month. I normally have short cycles (24-26 days) very regular so i would find it hard to believe i ovulate anyday after day 16 so i stopped with OPK but you never know. Won't rule it out for next month if I'm not KU. 
  • I have only gotten 1 positive OPK in the 5 years I first tried, but I know I ovulate based off of bloodwork and US.  RE recommended I just stop using them because he felt I was "wasting money" especially since at that point I was having my cycles monitored.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Whether or not you miss your surge if you only test once a day depends on a couple of things. Like @BerkeBaby said some ladies just never turn a positive OPK. The amount of LH their body needs to ovulate just isn't enough to turn a truly positive OPK or something. Maybe they tend to be far better hydrated than your average lady and their urine is just always a little too diluted. Who knows. So you could be in this category.

Another possibility is that you have a very "sharp" LH surge. Basically mean you could go from having practically no LH to peak in a couple of hours time. Ladies who have this type of surge will often only be able to catch a positive OPK for a couple of hours 1 day of their cycle. So this would obviously be easy to miss if you were testing only once a day.

Another possibility is that you're going to ovulate this cycle but haven't yet. I usually get about 12 days of EWCM before I finally ovulate on the last, or next to last, day of EWCM. So it's possible that even though you're having EWCM that you haven't ovulated yet. You can also have multiple patches of fertile CM in a cycle. Fertile CM doesn't confirm ovulation.

And of course there is the possibility that you didn't ovulate and won't this cycle.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• KarliQ88 said:
    Thanks for info ladies. All so new to me. Literally our first month trying...last month was more NTNP. It's all so confusing!! I don't want to freak my husband out by him feeling like he needs to "perform" so i just dont talk about this. I need to read up n BBT i just struggle with my unpredictable work schedule on doing it the same time everyday which is why i was trying to rely on CM and OPK. I guess we will find out if it was effective later this month. I normally have short cycles (24-26 days) very regular so i would find it hard to believe i ovulate anyday after day 16 so i stopped with OPK but you never know. Won't rule it out for next month if I'm not KU. 
    You are regular until you aren't, so even though you've had 24-26 day cycles in the past, you could ovulate later than CD16 this cycle and end up with a longer cycle. My unmedicated cycles have ranged from 23-29 days (average 26) and other women here have even greater cycle to cycle variation. 

I have to use opks 2-3 times a day to get a positive. When I was testing once a day I never detected a surge, and even testing before and after work I didn't always catch it.
  • Yes to everything PP's said. 

I test twice a day, and I was testing three times a day when I started getting darker lines, because I seem to have a super short surge, and if I only tested once a day, I'm sure I would miss it. But like PP's said, everyone's different.

Also, I tried digital OPKs last cycle, because I thought they would be better/easier. I completely missed my surge and never got a "Peak" reading from one. So back to the cheapies I went this cycle, and was able to catch my surge. 

Me: 28 | DH: 31
    Together since 2006 | Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since November 2015
    BFP 5/17/16 | EDD 1/27/17 | Born 2/4/17

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm out of LH tests. It was a pack of 10. The first day i accidentally used the pregnancy test it came with (oops. No surprise it was a BFN considering it was the day after my period ha) I'll just continue trying this month with my fingers crossed. 

And yes namelessAria i drink ALOT. i literally drink water or crystal light all day. I knew i had to slow down my drinking during this but me cutting back is still probably more than normal. I've just always been like that since  was young nothing wrong :-) so could be diluted. I'm just afraid because of that something was wrong. It makes me feel better that others got negatives (in a non selfish kind of way)
  • Look for Wondfo's on Amazon. I think it's 40 LH tests and 10 HPTs for $25.

For testing, my RE instructed me test midday after a 3 hour hold and to avoid drinking during the hold. 
  • Look for Wondfo's on Amazon. I think it's 40 LH tests and 10 HPTs for $25.

For testing, my RE instructed me test midday after a 3 hour hold and to avoid drinking during the hold. 
    I'll try those next time...thanks much. (hopefully there won't be a next time though)