July 2016 Moms

Best books about babies?

I've been reading about pregnancy, and just started reading about birth, but it occurred to me that I should probably read about caring for an infant while I'm still pregnant. I doubt I'll have time for reading when she's born.

Any recommendations for the best book to get? Something I can look through in advance, but also a quick reference for when I have questions along the way.

Thanks!!!
TTC#1 since Jan 2015
BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
BFP 8/29/15
  •  CP (age 37)
BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
  •  CP (age 39)
BFP 4/13/18
  •  CP (age 39)
BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
•  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
CP (age 40)
BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

Re: Best books about babies?

• I was totally going to say Happiest baby on the block.  It was by far the best book I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • I loved What to Expect the First Year. I read the beginning before DD was born and then read each section before she was that age. That way it was fresh in my mind what to expect and what to do for that stage of life! 
  • This is what we were given when we chose our pediatrician. It covered guidelines about sleep, eating, etc. and also had a symptoms reference guide at the back to tell you when to go to the doctor or try different home remedies.
    Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, 6th Edition: Birth to Age 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0553393820/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Mqz8wb5APTH4N
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started reading The Happiest Baby on the Block. I know people who swear by it. It tells me I can avoid colic and soothe a crying baby, so I'm all for trying it. 
  • my library had a Happiest Baby on the Block DVD that I made DH watch with me (for my 1st pregnancy). I think it was important for him to see, knowing that to get him to read a childcare book would be difficult.
  • quartz02 said:
    my library had a Happiest Baby on the Block DVD that I made DH watch with me (for my 1st pregnancy). I think it was important for him to see, knowing that to get him to read a childcare book would be difficult.
    Same here. DH wants the knowledge but doesn't want to read the book. We plan on buying the video which is also available for download from Amazon & iTunes.
  • We've got Baby 411. My friend swore by it and my doc recommended it. It's like an encyclopedia for all the 1st year questions that come up!
  • I just read The Sh!t No One Tells You and got the Happiest Baby on the Block guide to sleep
  • @DominiqueU I read and tried everything with DD. Some things worked sometimes, but most of the time, she just screamed. When people visited, I held her bouncing and walking like a maniac and she might be okay for a short while. No one else could touch her. The more knowledge, the better though, because when something did work, even temporarily, it was glorious. One of those we might not have thought of was white noise.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• "Cherish the first Six Weeks". Only book I fully recommend. We didn't read it until week six, but it changed our lives and helped us learn how to help our child sleep better and live structured to the point of freedom. I had been very against scheduling because I thought it meant I'd lose any degree of freedom, and I couldn't have been more wrong.  Six weeks of taking shifts with my husband at night and never actually sleeping together finally broke my exhausted self and I read/tried the method in this book. Life-changer. Happier baby and happier parents. We will be starting it from the beginning with baby #2.
  • TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @DominiqueU I get it. Our friends all seemed to have "easy" babies, hardly cried. I had no experience with babies whatsoever and DD was just ticked off at life for the first several months. I found it super stressful and am still bitter about it. If that wasn't obvious, haha!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I've read On Becoming Baby Wise and Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. Happiest Baby on the Block is next. The first two had some similarities, but overall different. I'm glad I'm reading a few, but I'm just going to go with my gut once the baby is here and hope I can decide what is best for us! I also read Bringing up Bébé! It was more about the first few years than the first months but still was a fun read. 
    Me: 29 DH:32
    Married: 11/2013
    TTC: 11/2014
    Clomid Cycle 1: 10/5/2015
    BFP: 10/30/2015
    EDD: 7/11/2016!!!
    Beta 1: 247
    Beta 2: 538

• @Lindsayleigh1989 I put that and "Eat your f'ing food" on my baby registry. No shame!
  • Mayo Clinic: Guide to the First Year is a good "guide", it's more fact based than "do this, promise it works!" It's a great source of information. Just remember every baby is different and to trust your instincts!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• @TennisCourt - I read Bringing Up Bebe when DD was almost 2 and really liked it!  However, I agree it is for older kids (toddlers-preschool) than about babies. I found it interesting all the variety of food the kids eat and try to expose DD to new foods all the time! 
  • ktomorrow said:
    We've got Baby 411. My friend swore by it and my doc recommended it. It's like an encyclopedia for all the 1st year questions that come up!

We have Baby 411.  There won't ever be a how-to-operate-child-properly manual but this glossary-style gives you a lot of great information about milestones and indicators.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• I actually really want the "To Late your Child is an Asshole" book. It speaks to me. 
  • @holly142 that was one of my favorite things about the book! It is super important to me to expose my children to a variety of foods. I was super picky growing up and I'm still pretty picky. That has been a huge issue for me so I don't want any of my kids to have that problem. 
    Me: 29 DH:32
    Married: 11/2013
    TTC: 11/2014
    Clomid Cycle 1: 10/5/2015
    BFP: 10/30/2015
    EDD: 7/11/2016!!!
    Beta 1: 247
    Beta 2: 538

• Another vote for The Happiest Baby on the Block.  DH and I also have the Amazon video.
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d