September 2015 Moms
Options

LO Feeding themselves purees? - Not BLW

So this may be a dumb questions but I keep seeing posts of LO's eating solids (purees) and the babies look like they are having a blast and its all over themselves! Do you all let your LO try using the spoon to feed themselves is that how they are messy? or how are you doing it? I guess I am asking because we don't get messy like that because I keep feeding him with the spoon...should I be letting him try on his own? (I am asking because I know I can be a control freak sometimes :))

Re: LO Feeding themselves purees? - Not BLW

• Options
    My pediatrician said if they are reaching for spoon to let them try to feed themselves otherwise we may create a bad habit. I have this spoon set that is a training set for the using a spoon one is good for thick stuff and ones good for thin. Ones orange the other is blue bought it off amazon 
  • Options
    I let her spoon feed herself. I usually help get it on the spoon and she does the rest. It can get messy and sometimes she skips the spoon and just grabs the bowl. She loves it!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Adorable! See I knew I was not doing something right ha I kept thinking how is he so clean and all these other babies seem to be having a blast and a mess! Our pediatrician recommended this throw away mat for the floor and I was confused because we don't get that messy. I think I will start letting him take the spoon to feed himself, let him have some fun with it. (aka mom needs to not be so serious about it :))  Thank you ladies!
  • Options
    @yiggle09 I may look into those spoons.. the ones I have aren't even great at keeping the purees on the spoon! They seem to be more flat than anything! :) thank you!
  • Options
    I'm so glad you posted this because I wasn't sure when to start letting her try to spoon feed herself. She doesn't go for the spoon yet, but if it's something she really likes she grabs at the bowl. Maybe I will let her try with a small amount. That's what the dog is for right?
  • Options
    Even if I don't let my daughter feed herself she makes such a mess.  She sticks her hands in her mouth, and will then rub it all over her. Soooo messy. My first never did this so its a new adventure!
  • Options
    Even if I don't let my daughter feed herself she makes such a mess.  She sticks her hands in her mouth, and will then rub it all over her. Soooo messy. My first never did this so its a new adventure!
    This! And she grabs the spoon to feed herself as well 
  • Options
    Just wait if she starts doing raspberries with a mouth full of food. Mine likes to stick his hands in his mouth and Smear it, like someone mentioned. 
  • Options
    Just wait if she starts doing raspberries with a mouth full of food. Mine likes to stick his hands in his mouth and Smear it, like someone mentioned. 
    All of the above for us too, lol
  • Options
    I tried last night to let him take the spoon and he was looking at me with his mouth open like "lady your not going to feed me.. im not feeding myself..what is this?" haha however immediately after I put the spoon in the bowl he grabbed the bowl and started chewing on the bowl... not quite how I thought he would make a mess ha But the dogs were happy :)
  • Options
    When he takes the spoon, I let him.  He seems more interested in gnawing on it like a teething toy than in the food on it,  though,  so I also feed him some myself to make sure he does get to try some food. It gets messy mostly because of drool. He's not a big smeared (yet).
  • Options
    I also wanted to add when he takes my regular spoon I just help guide it to his mouth with the end of the spoon and then try to get him to learn the motion of taking the spoon out of the mouth correctly. Otherwise he will stick it so far in his mouth he will gag on it. The spoons I was talking about are actually flat so there is not wrong way to use them and they are shorter so the little guys don't gag. He isnt there yet with dipping said spoons into said bowl but soon. He still doesnt grab at food to put it in his mouth yet either.
  • Options
    I have to say that I think if you want your child to have good manners, it is best to feed them yourself until they can properly feed themselves. We don't enjoy having food all over our faces so why would they? It just looks so disgusting and uncomfortable. In time and when they are ready, they will feed themselves. I'm French and in France you don't see babies with food all over their faces. 

• Options
    jnhaji said:
    I have to say that I think if you want your child to have good manners, it is best to feed them yourself until they can properly feed themselves. We don't enjoy having food all over our faces so why would they? It just looks so disgusting and uncomfortable. In time and when they are ready, they will feed themselves. I'm French and in France you don't see babies with food all over their faces. 

Your child can/will still have good manners even if you let them try to feed themselves...

I haven't let my daughter grab the spoon yet but maybe I should. Seems like it would be good practice in dexterity. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    @jnhaji pretty sure if they were so uncomfortable they wouldn't be smiling. It's important for children to learn by exploring and if you do everything for your child until they can do it "properly" you'll be spoon feeding them until they are 10. 
  • Options
    I sound so judgey, ugh, forgive me. I'll try to keep my little one's face clean as long as possible and keep my mouth shut when it comes to other people's kids!