Dynamic cervix — The Bump
High-Risk Pregnancy

Dynamic cervix

has anyone been diagnosed with a dynamic cervix this pregancy or a prior one? I just got this news on top of hearing that one of my twins will likely not survive and I've been recommended to do a selective reduction to save my healthy twin and possibly calm my cervix. Any experience or words of encoragment would be much appreciated! I'm fearful of losing my healthy twin :-/

Re: Dynamic cervix

  • I'm so sorry to hear about one of your twins. I didn't have twins, but was diagnosed with dynamic/short cervix in my pregnancy at 21 weeks. I continued to be monitored closely as my cervix got shorter and shorter. I was put on progesterone and told to take it easy. It was not reccommended I get a cerclage because I've never gone into preterm labor before, but this is an option for some people. By week 30 my cervix was very short and modified bed rest was recommended (although unproven to actually help - it was a last ditch effort) and I was given steroid shots to develop my baby's lungs in case of preterm labor.

    It was incredibly scary and I was constantly afraid of going into labor too early. But I made it to exactly 38 weeks and my DD was born this past December as healthy as can be. There is hope with a dynamic cervix! I'll credit progesterone + staying off of my feet to making it so long.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    RMM1204
  • Loading the player...
  • breezypip said:
    I'm so sorry to hear about one of your twins. I didn't have twins, but was diagnosed with dynamic/short cervix in my pregnancy at 21 weeks. I continued to be monitored closely as my cervix got shorter and shorter. I was put on progesterone and told to take it easy. It was not reccommended I get a cerclage because I've never gone into preterm labor before, but this is an option for some people. By week 30 my cervix was very short and modified bed rest was recommended (although unproven to actually help - it was a last ditch effort) and I was given steroid shots to develop my baby's lungs in case of preterm labor.

    It was incredibly scary and I was constantly afraid of going into labor too early. But I made it to exactly 38 weeks and my DD was born this past December as healthy as can be. There is hope with a dynamic cervix! I'll credit progesterone + staying off of my feet to making it so long.
    That's so great to hear! I am so very nervous about preterm labor. How did you get through those initial weeks? I'm currently 20w4d. Would give anything to be 24- that's my next milestone.
  • Loading the player...
  • @RMM1204 to be honest those first few weeks, before the pregnancy was viable, were the absolute worst. I was in tears a lot with worry. But I tried to read positive stories - check out the Keep em cookin website - there are plenty of them. I was especially worried because my doctors don't really believe in bed rest and new research doesn't support its effectiveness, but many people will swear by it. I eventually did couch rest and worked 1 day/week in the office towards the end, but I think my doctors just humored me on that. It really just made me feel like I had control over something. Definitely ask about progesterone. I went into labor 1 week after stopping and had no side effects from it. My advice is take it week by week. My first "goal" was viability at 24 weeks, then 28 weeks when the risk drops and so on... I would celebrate with each goal I met. It's tough, but try to stay positive and trust your doctors.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • breezypip said:
    @RMM1204 to be honest those first few weeks, before the pregnancy was viable, were the absolute worst. I was in tears a lot with worry. But I tried to read positive stories - check out the Keep em cookin website - there are plenty of them. I was especially worried because my doctors don't really believe in bed rest and new research doesn't support its effectiveness, but many people will swear by it. I eventually did couch rest and worked 1 day/week in the office towards the end, but I think my doctors just humored me on that. It really just made me feel like I had control over something. Definitely ask about progesterone. I went into labor 1 week after stopping and had no side effects from it. My advice is take it week by week. My first "goal" was viability at 24 weeks, then 28 weeks when the risk drops and so on... I would celebrate with each goal I met. It's tough, but try to stay positive and trust your doctors.
    Thanks so much!! Hope you don't mind but I sent you a pm 
    breezypip
  • Have you tried searching for IC/incompetent cervix? I had a cerclage placed at 23 weeks when I funneled down to 8 mm. I had measured short (2.7 cm) at 22 weeks after luckily going in to L&D with contractions. My perinatologist decided to monitor me to see if it would behave dynamically. It did stabilize for a week, even got longer (dynamic), and then, two days later, had suddenly shortened to 8 mm. It was terrifying and I remember expecting a micro-preemie if I even made it to 24 weeks. Then, eventually, I hoped to make it to 34 weeks. I made it. I had my cerclage removed at 35.5... And...  I'm still pregnant at 40 + 3 now. 
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
    image
    CourtJackJennyS86
  • I'm sorry to hear about your situation with the twins. I can't imagine what you are going through. But I do believe that everything is possible... So hang in there. 


    I was diagnosed with a short/dynamic cervix at 21 weeks.
    they did not recommend " bed rest" as they don't believe it to be beneficial anymore, nor they gave me any guidelines to follow other than to lay low and don't do a do of walking and lifting.
    i was put on progesterone ( 200mg) every night and it seems to be doing the trick. 

    Just bc your cervix is short, it doesn't mean it is weak.

    i will be 35 weeks this Sunday! I didn't think I was going to get here but here I am :) 


    your cervix can hold. Just take it easy and take it week by week. Set short goals for yourself and celebrate every time you reach a milestone! 

    Hope me this helps! 


    RMM1204JennyS86Palisson
  • I love hearing people's success stories! Keeps me going!!! Today is my first cervix check since we discovered my dynamic cervix. Praying it hasn't gotten worse and I can make it past 24 weeks!
  • mastib said:
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation with the twins. I can't imagine what you are going through. But I do believe that everything is possible... So hang in there. 


    I was diagnosed with a short/dynamic cervix at 21 weeks.
    they did not recommend " bed rest" as they don't believe it to be beneficial anymore, nor they gave me any guidelines to follow other than to lay low and don't do a do of walking and lifting.
    i was put on progesterone ( 200mg) every night and it seems to be doing the trick. 

    Just bc your cervix is short, it doesn't mean it is weak.

    i will be 35 weeks this Sunday! I didn't think I was going to get here but here I am :) 


    your cervix can hold. Just take it easy and take it week by week. Set short goals for yourself and celebrate every time you reach a milestone! 

    Hope me this helps! 


    Has your cervix stayed the same since 21w?  How did you get thru those first few weeks until viability? This feels like the scariest time if my life...
  • No! My cervix is very dynamic. 
    If I am being totally honest with you, until I made it to viability I prayed and prayed. And probably drove some people insane. 
    It is a very scary moment. I was very very scared mostly bc I did have a mid term miscarriage prior to this pregnancy and it was at 21 weeks. Not cervix related though. 

     At first I was very reluctant thinking my doctors were not giving me everything they could. But then I came back to my senses and remembered that the 3 of them are on my team and not against me and i decided to listen a bit more. I asked more questions as well and they were always great at answering them when I didn't sound like I had a medical degree. I humbled myself and even if I knew what they were talking about I'd let them finish and I'd come up with however many questions I felt like asking. 

    They explained to me that no studies prove strict bed rest truly helps. But urged me not to be running a marathon and taking it very easy. I took it upon myself to lie down more and be less active. ( which is hard for me bc I have a 2 yo)

    At 21 weeks my cervix was at 2.4 with funneling. 
    I went back 2 weeks later. It would range  quite a bit but they'd accept the 1.9 cm measurement and the funneling was a little smaller. They put me in progesterone then. 
    I got the shots at 24 weeks, and had at least FFN and they all came back negative. 
    I started drinking lots of water and researched on high protein diet to plump up the baby in case she came early ( I did not follow up with the diet though which turned out to be a good thing bc she's now in the 90% for growth. )

    I think at 24-25 weeks my cervix went down to 1.5 and it stayed there for a while. 
    at 30weeks my doctor asked me ( again) to stop working and I did. I've been having help from my MIL and have been just taking it easy. I lie down a lot but I walk a bit around the house as well. I don't go out much. Mostly docs appoitmebts and for my own sanity 1 outing to target or somewhere. And I always make it quick. I'm never on my feet for too long. 

    They monitored me closely and at any sign they'd sent me to L&D to be checked. 
    At 31w5 days my cervix was down to 1.1cm with a huge funnel ( I mean if you watched the ultrasound you'd think my cervix was going to open right then) 
    and at 32w2d ( which was only 5 days apart) it was back to 2.4 with no funneling. thats why I said... Very dynamic. 

    But agakn... Just bc your cervix is dynamic it does not mean weak! 

    I made it here and I don't think my ob even believed it. I will be 35 weeks on Sunday and he said I can go back to normal activities and stop the progesterone. I think the progesterone plays a huge huge part! 

    bed rest of modified bed rest is very hard. On your body and mind. But keep in mind that in the end you are rewarded beyond anything you could ever imagine. 

    these next few weeks will be tough. But I believe whole heartily that you can do it! Listen to your doctors and rest as much as you can. 

    Keep us us posted and best of luck to you. 

  • How did the check up go? Any changes? 

  • mastib said:
    How did the check up go? Any changes? 

    Checkup went ok I guess. It looks like there's no change. But I'm a nervous wreck! I have never been so scared in my whole life...

    Mastib- I wrote you a private message 
  • candicek15candicek15 member
    edited March 2016
    @RMM1204I'm at home on bed rest (since 20 weeks) for a dynamic/short cervix. It was a total surprise to me (found out at the 20-week ultrasound) and they took me off work immediately, which was certainly not my first choice! I had a cerclage put in that evening and went on progesterone suppositories. The first week was especially hard. I was already stressed because I was swamped at work and wasn't allowed to go in to take care of anything. I felt like my life had changed dramatically and I had no control. I spent the first week basically sitting around thinking about how my baby was going to die. It was horrible.

    The more time that passed, especially with the next ultrasound looking good and having no signs of infection or labour, the better I felt. I'm now a day shy of 26 weeks. As time continues to pass, the more I feel that it's very likely I'll go to term. I get my cerclage removed at 36 weeks and have come to terms with having the baby any time after that, though I have heard of lots of women still going to 38-40.

    Even though I don't really believe in bed rest being an entirely good thing, I am doing the same as Mastib and basically just taking it easy with occasional short outings. Visits to friends' or family's houses are good too because you get out of the house and lift your spirits a bit, while you can still hang out on a couch. :)

    I spend my days napping, going online (TB, Pinterest, setting up baby registries online, etc.), watching TV, and crocheting. Do you have any hobbies or crafts you like to do that you can occupy yourself with?
  • @RMM1204I'm at home on bed rest (since 20 weeks) for a dynamic/short cervix. It was a total surprise to me (found out at the 20-week ultrasound) and they took me off work immediately, which was certainly not my first choice! I had a cerclage put in that evening and went on progesterone suppositories. The first week was especially hard. I was already stressed because I was swamped at work and wasn't allowed to go in to take care of anything. I felt like my life had changed dramatically and I had no control. I spent the first week basically sitting around thinking about how my baby was going to die. It was horrible.

    The more time that passed, especially with the next ultrasound looking good and having no signs of infection or labour, the better I felt. I'm now a day shy of 26 weeks. As time continues to pass, the more I feel that it's very likely I'll go to term. I get my cerclage removed at 36 weeks and have come to terms with having the baby any time after that, though I have heard of lots of women still going to 38-40.

    Even though I don't really believe in bed rest being an entirely good thing, I am doing the same as Mastib and basically just taking it easy with occasional short outings. Visits to friends' or family's houses are good too because you get out of the house and lift your spirits a bit, while you can still hang out on a couch. :)

    I spend my days napping, going online (TB, Pinterest, setting up baby registries online, etc.), watching TV, and crocheting. Do you have any hobbies or crafts you like to do that you can occupy yourself with?
    Thanks so much! Any desire to chat off of here? We could exchange emails or facebook names.  Would love to stay in touch 
  • Goodness! I just saw your message! Idk how many weeks after! I will go check now and reply! I hope things are well!!! 
  • @RMM1204? I hope things are well for you.


    babysizercom pregnancy ticker

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards