February 2016 Moms

Clothing sizes for first year?

What clothing sizes was your LO in at what age for the first year? Obviously each baby will vary and clothing brands vary too but with yard sale season soon here I was hoping to stock up on clothes for the next 12 months or so but I'm not sure what size/seasons to buy.  My LO is 4weeks and just starting to outgrow some of her newborn clothes (0-3 is still pretty big though). My mom keeps telling me you double their age and that's the size they wear but a 6 month old wearing 12 month clothing doesn't make sense to me..

Re: Clothing sizes for first year?

• It's really hard to say, they grow at such different rates. My little guy is 6 weeks old and I had to move him into 3-6 month clothes 2 weeks ago, but he was a large baby and never did fit in newborn clothes. I have a lot of short-sleeved outfits and onesies and will just put a long-sleeved onesie underneath if needed (we live in Minnesota so we typically need more than one layer for most of the year). As for pants, that's not as easy to guess what sizes will be needed. I am lucky and this is boy #4 for me so we have lots of clothes for every size and season.

I would say hit garage sales early in the season to shop for spring/summer clothes, and then again closer to fall when you will have a better idea what size she might be in for fall/winter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• There is truly no way to predict, unless you already know that your LO is really big or really small for their age. 

My DD1 was always 3-6 months behind in clothing. She was wearing newborn until she was 3+ months, still wears some 24mo now at 2.5, etc. We had friends whose 6 mo olds were wearing 12mo, so it's certainly not unheard of. My coworker's 1yr old wears the same size as my 2.5 yr old. 

• Loading the player...
  • My LO is 6 weeks and still in NB everything the 0-3 months is big on him. At this rate I'm sure he's going to hit every size. 
  • My daughter was right on track (her age matched tag sizes) until she was 4 then she moved up one size. She's 5 now but wears size 6. DS seems to be doing the same although DD moved out of newborns at 6 weeks and DS moved out at 4. There really is no way of knowing for sure. 
  • I stick to brands I know when buying resale, since it's more predictable. For example, Gymboree 0-3 is the same as Carter's 3mo. 

• It is impossible to know and IMO you end up wasting money on clothing that won't fit. Things like sleepers and onsies are always practical so buy those. My DS was always in the next size up (in 6-9 months when he was 3 or 4 months old). This LO is in 3-6 months already and she is only 2 months. Both kids fit carters best, they are long and lean with long arms.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I learned the hard way not to buy more than one season ahead.  DD was exactly 50th percentile when born an moved up in clothing sizes almost right on time... Then sometime between 6-9mo she slowed down a little, then a little more.  She ended up being almost 6mo behind in clothing sizes.  Which meant ALL of the 12-18mo clothes that I bought for last summer never got worn.  Never.  She didn't start wearing that size until September/October.  She just turned 2, and she's just now wearing 24mo/2T tops just fine, and she can still wear some brand's 18mo or 24mo pants. Their size at infancy may not predict their size/growth rate a year from now.
  • I buy ahead, only because I shop thrift stores, garage sales, or will use coupons that are like spend $25 get $10 off to buy clothes for DS. I'm familiar with how different brands fit because of DD (2.5) so that helps when I'm out shopping especially at thrift stores. Things like short sleeves, onesies, sleep and plays, dresses, cotton pants are pretty versatile no matter what season it is (in NY). I look for zip up sweaters or fleeces since even in summer we may need that for night time or indoors and I am always scouring for fall/winter/spring coats and try to buy up a size that I think he will be, if its a little big thats ok for a coat. I think with the amount you'd spend at a garage sale/thrift store ahead of time vs. potentially having to buy things brand new in season its worth the chance that it may not fit, but thats just my opinion. DD (2.5) can wear 18 mo, 24 mo, 2T, 3T, or 4T depending on the brand and she's around 50th percentile, so there's that. 
  • My boys were always in their age's size in onsies/shirts, but a size or two down in pants. These two are a little over two months and are solidly still in newborn. Blake *might be moving out of NB in the next couple of weeks more from height than weight. Aria probably still has at least a month before I even start thinking about moving her size. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Don't buy for seasons. Stick with things like sleeps, onesies, leggings, that you will need for any weather. Every baby is so different!

• g8trkim said:
    Don't buy for seasons. Stick with things like sleeps, onesies, leggings, that you will need for any weather. Every baby is so different!
    Every baby is different. With DS1, I started to buy ahead and got burned a few times with him not being able to wear certain clothes because the season didn't match up with his size at the time. By the time he was about 7-8 months I got good at predicting sizes better to buy clothes on clearance and mom to mom sales and save a ton of money. I also try to buy the basics like PP stated above. Right now, DS2 is three years and two weeks behind in age from DS1 and measuring about the save size as DS1 was. He is wearing 3 months clothes now but pretty sure he will be nearing if not in 6 month clothes by the time I go back to work in another four weeks. Anticipating him to be in 9 month clothing by mid-summer around 5-6 months and 9 months by fall. They grow quick and a ton in the first 2 years, then they seem like they slow down in growth a little, as least in my experience. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Like others said every kid is different. For her first year DD was always behind. Now she's 2.5 and wears 2T-4T depending on brand and style. DS is currently 8 months and is still in newborn and some 0-3 months but he's is the 3rd percentile.
    The nice thing with girls is you can add leggings and sweaters to summer dresses/tunics so they last longer.
  • Yup like others said impossible to know. My daughter was always in sizing 3 months smaller than her age so if we had bought summer stuff ahead of time we wouldn't have been able to use it. My son was in 2t by 6 months he was sooo chunky, but then stayed in 2t until he was 1.5. It's just too hard to know.. You could guess but that doesn't always work out.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"