Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Starting Solids

Just wondering if any of you ladies have started your little ones on solids? More specifically, rice cereal? If so, did you add it to the bottle or spoon feed? Suggestions welcome! 

Re: Starting Solids

• Please don't add rice cereal to a bottle. It can be a choking hazard.

I skipped rice cereal completely, given that it has limited nutritional value. I started with avocados, sweet potatoes, carrots, apple sauce, carrots, peas, etc

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • you're supposed to start baby food between 4-6 months so I'm waiting until his 4 month check up to get the go ahead from his pediatrician. One thing I have heard though is to introduce only one food at a time as in keep them on only one food for a certain period of time, make sure they don't have an allergy to it, then go to another one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We aren't starting solids until six months and are skipping rice cereal entirely. 
    I suggest you consult your pedi on what the best option for your family is. 
  • We have already consulted our Pediatrician and have a plan. I just wanted to hear about experiences from other moms. 
  • kde4kde4 member
    Our pediatrician suggested we start with pureed veggies or mashed avocado. That's what we did, and it worked well. We never even used rice cereal.

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• taysun said:
    We aren't starting solids until six months and are skipping rice cereal entirely. 
    I suggest you consult your pedi on what the best option for your family is. 
    Ditto. 
  • I agree with what everyone else is saying, usually between 4-6 months is when they sugges to start solids depending on what your pediatrician suggests. I will also add that it's best to start with veggies before fruits, sometimes but not always, they tend to like the sweets over the veggies and of course we want them to like their veggies lol
  • AAP recommends waiting until 6 months now so I was a little annoyed our pediatrician gave the green light at his 4 month appointment. We tried a little bit of oatmeal cereal around that time just to see if he was ready and he definitely wasn't (just poured out of his mouth). We waited until about 5 months and didn't get serious until 6 months. LO didn't care for plain oatmeal so we moved onto carrots then other veggies and fruits.
  • Each baby is different, as are the parents, so each experience is different! My LO decided to take an animal cracker from me for the first time ever last night, and sucked on it for a few minutes then threw it on the floor. And he just turned 3 months old! His pediatrician told me that it would be ok to start him on soft solids like peas, carrots, and avocado that's smashed 
  • taysun said:
    Each baby is different, as are the parents, so each experience is different! My LO decided to take an animal cracker from me for the first time ever last night, and sucked on it for a few minutes then threw it on the floor. And he just turned 3 months old! His pediatrician told me that it would be ok to start him on soft solids like peas, carrots, and avocado that's smashed 
    Obviously you know best for your baby, but honestly I'd switch doctors if mine told me to give DD solid food now a 3 months old. There is a lot of research that suggests solids before 4 months can cause problems and that waiting until closer to 6 months is even better in some situations. 
    Yeah, that's extremely weird to me too.