February 2016 Moms

Baby noises at night

My LO makes these awful choking, grunting, squawking type noises EVERY night all night and only at night and I don't know what to do!!! Im so exhausted, getting no sleep bc I'm scared she's choking every minute. Swaddling, burping, changing rooms/cribs, pacifier...nothing stops the noises. I've even raised her crib 30 degrees where her head lays and that doesn't help. Dr says shes breathing fine and probably just normal baby noises but I can't ignore them. (Plus my dr is 12 and I'm still not confident in her experience yet but thats a whole other issue). The noises are so loud and sound so serious. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Anyone have any advice? This Mama is so tired and in need of help and sleep. Thanks! 

Re: Baby noises at night

• hnullhnull member
    Yes, this is what my 3 week old daughter started doing a few days ago!! I am in the same boat, I can't sleep or I end up laying her on my chest a bit, but then I hardly sleep. I haven't really found anything that stops it yet- she's stops on her own after a bit but i still hardly sleep! Sorry no advice, but you're not alone!
  • My son is 7 weeks and has made these same noises since the day we arrived home at 3 days in his rock and play. He also only does it at night and in his RnP. We just have very noisy sleepers! I've only been able to tune out those noises for the last week or so
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! I've gotten better at sleeping through them ... 

I also took a video recording to play for my ped at his next appointment for peace of mind :) 
  • Oh yes my LO is such a noisy sleeper... He will grunt and grunt and I'll start getting up to feed him and I'll realize he's sound asleep. I used to be a super light sleeper, but the combination of his noises and sleep deprivation are helping me with that.
  • Omg my LO seriously sounds like she's about to die every night. It freaks me out but honestly it scares me more when it stops! She's just a loud baby because she doesn't even really have a stuffy nose that I could clear out. Do you have a video monitor? That might give you a bit more peace of mind to see her moving and breathing 
  • Thanks ladies. I appreciate you letting me know this sounds like pretty normal baby behavior. The baby sleeps in a bassinet right next to me so it's hard to block her out and rest being that I am such a light sleeper. Ahhh so tiring and frustrating. Wishing us all peaceful sleeping babies soon! 
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited March 2016
    My DD is a very noisy sleeper, and I was worried about it until i saw another post on here about it. My only concern is that she deems to have silent reflux, and I hear her swallowing/gurgling a couple times a night. She doesn't seem in pain, but it definitely worried me in the beginning (and I picked her up every time she did it). Now, it still wakes me up, but I just wait and listen to make sure it goes away. 

ETA: she sleeps at an incline in the RnP. With the silent reflux, i would've moved her to an inclined sleeper if she hadn't been already. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We put a humidifier in the room it def helped with all the noises LO was making. I was told because their nasal passages are so small any little thing can get in the way. So they make noises and cause them to wake up. Maybe this will work for you. 
  • Yes, we have a super noisy sleeper! I had to move him to his own room because I wasn't getting any sleep when he was in our room. We do have a video monitor on him and his room door is kitty corner from ours so I can still hear/see him but its much better now.  He started out in a RnP and we moved him into his crib and surprisingly the noises have lessened a bit, I wonder if he was just uncomfortable in the RnP and some of the noises were attributed to that (plus we started swaddling with arms out and he sleeps better with less noise). 
  • Have you ever given your LO gas drops? Mine coughs and gags and cries like he's taking his last breath, and I usually only give a tenth of a milliliter at a time! You'd think I'd poured half a cup down his throat. It makes me worry less when he makes those noises on his own:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• According to my pediatrician most digestion occurs at night which can lead to the grunting etc. Seems accurate for my little one since she always has a bm after waking up in the morning. 

• Karen249 said:
    My LO makes these awful choking, grunting, squawking type noises EVERY night all night and only at night and I don't know what to do!!! Im so exhausted, getting no sleep bc I'm scared she's choking every minute. Swaddling, burping, changing rooms/cribs, pacifier...nothing stops the noises. I've even raised her crib 30 degrees where her head lays and that doesn't help. Dr says shes breathing fine and probably just normal baby noises but I can't ignore them. (Plus my dr is 12 and I'm still not confident in her experience yet but thats a whole other issue). The noises are so loud and sound so serious. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Anyone have any advice? This Mama is so tired and in need of help and sleep. Thanks! 
    Right there with ya! Some of the noises make us jump out of bed to check on her. We moved her into the walk-in closet to buffer some of the noise. I'm hoping this phase will pass soon. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker