January 2016 Moms

Baby sleeping too much?

My daughter is two months old and I feel like she sleeps constantly.  She might be awake for a total of 4-5hours a day.  I know that is normal when they are younger, but I thought by now there was more wakefulness.  Anyone else's baby still sleeping a ton?

I feel like a jerk because when she was up all night I wasn't happy and now that she's sleeping all the time I'm worried. Poor baby just can't get it right!

Re: Baby sleeping too much?

• My LO is still sleeping all the time too. Though he was a preemie (due March 3rd and born January 11th). There are a few times where he's been awake for 3 straight hours though. 
  • Think that amount of sleep falls in normal range. Sleep grows brains :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby is 2 months as well (though she is only 5 weeks adjusted age) and she still sleeps a lot too. Besides being awake for feedings, she only usually has two to three awake periods each day, each only lasting an hour or so. Other than those, she eats, poops and sleeps. 
  • My baby is 6w5d and as of yesterday she has been sleeping a lot too. She used to be up a lot during the day and having 45-1hr naps but not the past few days. Apparently its a growth spurt even though she isn't eating more than usual. It sucks because she isn't sleeping well at night now that she sleeps all day. I'm praying its a growth spurt bc it only lasts a few days then it goes back to normal. 
  • My daughter will be 2 months on the 31st and I've been like freaking out about the whole sleeping thing. She very rarely makes it to the 2 hour mark. Usually by and hour after she's up she's cranky and falling asleep! I though that by now too she should be at least awake more than 5-6 hours per day lol. I guess it's normal since there's a bunch of us haha. 
  • My daughter will be 2 months on the 31st and I've been like freaking out about the whole sleeping thing. She very rarely makes it to the 2 hour mark. Usually by and hour after she's up she's cranky and falling asleep! I though that by now too she should be at least awake more than 5-6 hours per day lol. I guess it's normal since there's a bunch of us haha. 
    This sounds about right. Wake times for a 2 month old is 45 min- 1.5 hours typically. It's always so shocking how much they sleep. By the time we wake, nurse, and play for 20 min it's time to go back to sleep. 
  • AchaeAchae member
    Sahara26 said:
    My baby is 2 months as well (though she is only 5 weeks adjusted age) and she still sleeps a lot too. Besides being awake for feedings, she only usually has two to three awake periods each day, each only lasting an hour or so. Other than those, she eats, poops and sleeps. 
    This is my LO too. I'm glad to see its other babies as well, I see some posters saying how their babies are awake for like three hour stretches! 
  • I think this is pretty normal. At my 2 month apt yesterday my pedi was talking about our sleep goals for our 4 month apt and he said babies by 4 months "should" be sleeping 12 hours at night. Up for about an hour then take 1.5ish hour nap. Up for 3 then nap for 3-4 hours up for 3 then down for the night. Meaning only up for about 7.5 hours. And that's still two months away. 
  • Wow I can't believe that. I knew they would sleep a lot but I figured by now they'd be up a little more. I guess I was totally wrong! Lol glad to know this though. Thanks for the info ladies