Pregnant after 35

Intro and Question

Hi all! So excited to be here!  I'm 35 and pregnant with baby #2- 4w3d.  I posted a little bit on TTC after 35 but mostly was a major lurker.  I have been lurking here since we got our BFP last week and I'm so happy to see so many familiar "faces" from TTC after 35!  My DD is almost 4 so it has been almost 5 years since I was newly pregnant.  Feeling strangely good so far-- hungry (although I'm convinced this is in my head and I'm just using it as an excuse to eat!) and bloated, and some cramping that comes and goes.  I had bad morning sickness with DD that started at 5 weeks and lasted until 16 weeks so in the back of my mind I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop but who knows, maybe no MS this time?!   I am really not good at being pregnant (if there's such a thing?! ha!)-- during my first pregnancy I had every strange symptom you can imagine, it was a frightening experience- and was under the care of a cardiologist for some cardiac concerns.  So I'm so so excited to be pregnant again and at the same a little terrified to do this again.  For now I'm sticking with the fact that I'm going to kick this pregnancy's butt :)
Excited to get to know all of you and wishing everyone a healthy and happy pregnancy!

Re: Intro and Question

• Welcome and congratulations!! Great attitude and hoping this pregnancy goes much smoother for you!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Just realized I forgot my question.... 
     And I know it's very personal choice just looking for what your experience was--- when did you tell DD/DS you were pregnant? DD is almost 4.  First appt isn't until 10 weeks and don't want to tell her before we see heartbeat-- and don't want to tell others before she knows.  But DD will be having birthday party when I'm 9 weeks. With baby #2 I could be showing already! So many factors. Likely will just see how things go as get farther along. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome and congratulations! I remember your name from the TTC>35 board. No advice about telling a sibling since my LO isn't quite 2 and has no idea what we're talking about, but I bet others will have good input for you. :)
  • Welcome and congrats. My son is 5. We told him on Christmas morning. Before the day we told him we started talking about if he wanted a sibling, brother or sister etc. then Christmas morning I told him we were going to have a baby. 

Well apparently it's not mommy's baby, it's his baby. We talk about what a big boy he is and how special he is to become a big brother. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Congratulations and welcome. Wishing you a easy and healthy pregnancy this time around!
  • Welcome and congratulations! This is my first pregnancy, so I don't have direct experience with your question, but I think it's a very personal/individual decision that depends both on you and your LO. I do think it's unlikely that you'll be showing much at 9 weeks, even with a second baby, so I wouldn't worry much about that. You'll probably still be able to cover up the "blump". But also remember you don't have to decide this now! Feel it out over the coming weeks, see how the pregnancy goes, and I suspect you'll know when the time is right.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Welcome to the board and congrats on a BFP! I am a FTM so I am no help there!
  • Welcome!  My daughter just turned 4.  We are planning on waiting quite awhile before telling her.  I had a miscarriage between my two girls, so I'd like to see the heartbeat a few times.  I also think waiting is pretty hard, so November is a very long time from now.  I'm thinking we will probably tell her sometime in the 2nd tri, hopefully later in the 2nd tri, unless she guesses earlier.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• I remember you from TTC>35. So glad you're here!! This will be my first baby, so no advice. But my 9 year old nephew told my sister he wants to be here "immediately" after the baby is born. They live 3 hours away. It's cute that he's so excited. :)
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Welcome! 
  • Welcome! I remember you from TTC>35 :-) So glad you are here! We wont tell our daughter until late in the second tri I think, but she is only a little over 2 so I don't think she would understand until Im showing. Also want to see the heartbeat a few times for my own sanity.
  • Welcome and congratulations!!  I'm in the minority.  I told my 2.5 year old right away and she even told us there were two babies before our ultrasound.  Kids are amazing.  Now, to see if her prediction of two boys is correct.  :)  I think you need to do what's right for you and your LO.  Best wishes! :)
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Hi there and welcome to a great group! We told our 3 year old once we told our family when I was 18 weeks. We waited a very long time but due to losses wanted to be sure. You'll know when the time is right for you and your family. 
  • Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I think these boards are such great support, especially in these early weeks and months when you haven't told family and friends. @redheadbride15your comment especially calmed me- we don't have to decide when to tell DD right now- seems simple but so true.  Isn't it crazy how you get a BFP and the mind just starts racing about what to do, when, how....but there's no rush.   Thanks again everyone for your thoughtful answers and welcome. 
  • Welcome and congrats. My son is 5. We told him on Christmas morning. Before the day we told him we started talking about if he wanted a sibling, brother or sister etc. then Christmas morning I told him we were going to have a baby. 

Well apparently it's not mommy's baby, it's his baby. We talk about what a big boy he is and how special he is to become a big brother. 
    Love it! What a special time for him too! Last month our DD randomly asked me before bed if we could get a "real" baby- not a doll- so she could be a big sister- And then in a loud toddler whisper in church a couple days later asked if we could ask God to bring us a baby- it just melted my heart.  
  • bgf1bgf1 member
    Welcome and Congratulations.  We waited until about 14-15 weeks to tell my 3&5 year old.  We waited partially due to a previous loss but also because it is just such a long wait for littles.  Mine were so excited, they still are but July is just so far away to them.  Can't wait to hear how you're reveal to your lo goes
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers