Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Abdominal Pains w/ Provera/Metformin

JBT1116JBT1116 member
edited March 2016 in Trying to Get Pregnant
I am having severe abdominal pains after taking Provera and Metformin for 4 days.  I am taking it with food (lunchtime) and then by the time I eat supper every night I start having intense cramping and gas pains(?).  I am able to have BM which makes it feel better.  Is this a normal side effect for these medicines?

Re: Abdominal Pains w/ Provera/Metformin

• Options
    This is a common response to the medication. To combat it, some doctors are able to prescribe a slow release Metformin to decrease stomach issues. You may also be able spread out the medication by taking half in the morning, and half in the evening. Your body just might not be able to handle the full dose all at once. I would review with your doctor before making any changes to how you take the medication.
    Me: 23 | DH: 27
    Married: 10.11.15
    MC #1: June 2014
    MC #2: December 2015
    APS Diagnosis: February 2016
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • Options
    YES.  I was on metformin for a month and for me, it never went away. It got to the point where I was so sick to my stomach I couldn't take it anymore.  I tried to gradually increase the dosage but nothing was working.  Good luck and I hope you start feeling better.
    Me: 34 DH: 36
    TTC#2 September 2015
    DD #1 born July 2014
    Clomid 50 mg x2 months- no ovulation
    Clomid 100mg x 2 months- confirmed ovulation first month, BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JohnnaToo said:
    I am having severe abdominal pains after taking Provera and Metformin for 4 days.  I am taking it with food (lunchtime) and then by the time I eat supper every night I start having intense cramping and gas pains(?).  I am able to have BM which makes it feel better.  Is this a normal side effect for these medicines?
    Yes, this is common for metformin. It should improve as your body gets used to the medication. I know several women that were told to follow a low carb/low sugar diet with metformin, so making some dietary changes might help with the side effects.
  • Options
    As others said, this is common with metformin. For me, it goes away after 2-3 days on the medication. Taking extended release, as PP said, can also help.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16