November 2015 Moms

High Chair recs?

AmoLovesAudAmoLovesAud member
edited March 2016 in November 2015 Moms
We got the solids talk at LO's 4 month appointment this week.  The ped wants us to start trying solids sometime between now and her 6 month appointment in June, but he empasised that the point is to introduce the idea and give her some practice, rather than actually getting any food in her.  Im not sure how much we'll really try before then, but since kiddo is trying so hard to sit up, I want to start putting her in a high chair instead of the bouncer while we eat meals, maybe give her some spoons and sippy cups to play with too.

I didn't bother registering for or researching high chairs because it seemed so far away, but here we are already!  So, what do you all have?  Any features you love/hate?  Personally, I'm less concerned about space saving or matching the kitchen furniture (in the market for a new kitchen table anyway) and more concerned about ease of cleaning and something that converts for toddler/little kid usage.

Re: High Chair recs?

• gipfishgipfish member
    edited March 2016
    I'm using a Bumbo! It's the newer version. It can be used as a floor seat, but most of the time we have it strapped to a kitchen chair. It has a tray that stores in the back of the seat, which is super easy to take on and off (ETA: and super easy to wipe down). And it has an insert that you can remove when your little one grows bigger to use it as a booster seat. Not your typical high chair, but I love it. 

I would NOT recommend the Summer Infantino (cheaper brand of the Bumbo I have). My parents got one to keep at their house for Jane. It is flimsy and very difficult to work with. Also, you can't use the tray on it while it is strapped to a chair. 
  • We went to a restaurant supply website and got the one you see in every restaurant.   It is not great for babies just learning to sit, but we liked it so much better that the original padded one we registered for.  We did BLW with DS and loved that the seat was so easy to clean, and that there are no places for food to hide. I also heard great things about the one from ikea (day care actually uses the ikea one).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • kmd91kmd91 member
    Honestly, we got a cheap Cosco one, because it was like $40. Originally I wanted one of the more expensive padded ones, but then I watched a little girl for a week who had one of the Cosco ones and I liked how easily it
    could fold down super small if we wanted to bring it somewhere. Plus at
    the end of the day it serves the same purpose of one that's over twice the price. Plus it's easier to pull the cover off and wash than the fancy one one of the boys I used to nanny had, which is a huge perk.

He loves it and it makes dinner more peaceful 90% of the time. 

• We have the Graco Duodiner 3-in-1. LO loves it, it's super easy to clean and folds up if you need to get it out of the way. We've been putting LO in there while we eat dinner and I give him a soft tip spoon and a sippy cup with 2oz formula in it. He seems to really like participating in dinner time. 
  • We got the Graco slim spaces. Yes it folds us very tiny, but it takes up more than average space unfolded. Also you need both hands to unfold it. I would not recommend it.
  • MoRay05MoRay05 member
    edited March 2016
    We are currently using the bumbo (old version). We also have a travel high chair we used with my first. We don't have the floor space for a typical high chair so this works for us. We actually have two. One we keep at home and one in the car for when we go out to eat. My only negatives are food gets under the arms and you have to take the chair off to clean. And the seat is fabric so you have to machine wash it if you don't wipe up the food quickly. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A7V1EM#Ask

eta: age recommendation is 6 months. I wouldn't put my four month old in it yet. We will use the bumbo until he can sit up unassisted. 
  • Oh also, a friend of mine has this awesome wooden high chair. If you put it on its side, it becomes a little desk for a toddler, and if you put it on its other side, it becomes a rocking horse. They got it as a gift, so I have no idea where a person would find one, but I just thought it was so clever. 
  • So we just got our graco table fit high chair in finley (they have black too) and we LOVES it. It's light weight but still safe. When she gets older we can take the trays off and she can pull right up to our table. It's hieght adjust so she can be level with out kitchen island or dinner table. And it's not in baby print so it goes well with our decor. (So much bright colored things already, she can't see the back of her chair!!! Lol) anyways, highly recommend. 
  • https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=68545156&cp=2255957.2273443.2255981.2256180.2256184&parentPage=family

We got this one. I liked how soft it was for LO but soo easy to wipe off. And folds up pretty small. Was debating between this one and a space saving one that you attach to a regular chair. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=68545156&cp=2255957.2273443.2255981.2256180.2256184&parentPage=family

We got this one. I liked how soft it was for LO but soo easy to wipe off. And folds up pretty small. Was debating between this one and a space saving one that you attach to a regular chair. 
    I like this, in the review it says the table sits too high. Do you find this to be true for your lo?
  • GoogleMD said:
    https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=68545156&cp=2255957.2273443.2255981.2256180.2256184&parentPage=family

I like this, in the review it says the table sits too high. Do you find this to be true for your lo?
    My LO is 25 inches and might be a little high for her right now but I don't foresee any problems of
    it being too high when she gets bigger! 

Pregnancy Ticker