June 2015 Moms

Baby's sleep habits

Anything going on with LOs sleep that you want to talk about?

Re: Baby's sleep habits

• My LO is 9 months old now & seems to think she only needs one nap a day now. She's currently down for her second nap which is consisting of her practicing her vocal skills rather than sleep. Until she gets fussy I'm letting her have alone time. I'm desperate for sleep myself! She's got a cold so the last few nights sleep has been rough. Poor thing started coughing whenever we laid her down & so snotty but of course really won't let you get the snot out. DH is oncall this week and I'm exhausted. I usually rest up on the weekends but whatever rest I've gotten hasn't done the trick.
  • Hmm my LO still won't sleep. He did one 10-5 stretch the first time ever a couple weeks ago but I was up with a painful clogged duct. I wanted to cry knowing I missed out on those 7 hours of sleep. We're still at 2 naps but the afternoon is a hard one to get him down. If we're out and about he will fall asleep. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I must say that I'm nervous about daylight savings time change. I'm sure it's going to screw up LO bedtime routine.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• beemaya83 said:

I must say that I'm nervous about daylight savings time change. I'm sure it's going to screw up LO bedtime routine.

Me too @beemaya83
  • I was nervous about falling back and it made zero difference in LO's sleep schedule.  I wonder how this will go.  I guess i'll try to put her to sleep a little earlier than normal this week to get her used to it.  We were on vacation last week and she was going to bed about 15-30 minutes earlier than normal on her own...I guess I should embrace that instead of fighting it.
  • My 8mth old takes a 3 hour nap during the day. And sleeps from 8pm to 10am . 
  • My kid sleeps ok but babble and yells in her sleep so I get up for no reason a lot.
  • I'm still rocking and nursing to sleep over here too! Whatever works. 
  • @virginiaunicorn11 I agree! Just seems everything baby-sleep-related I read talks about putting them down awake and taking away the "crutch" of motion so they can self-soothe blah blah blah... :/ I need to quit internet-ing. 
  • LO is 8.5 months old....used to take 3 naps a day (could be any time of day for any period of time) but noticed that she's been waking up more during the night...so I'm trying to skip the last nap and just putting her to bed a little earlier...it's KINDA working...I still have to put her to sleep in my bed though, before I put her back in the crib.
  • I nurse to sleep at night...and on weekends for naps too, though during the week she's either with daddy or at daycare so she gets bottles before naps.  I am not ashamed.  It affects her zero percent that I wait on her to fall asleep and then move her off me and into the crib.  She still puts herself back to sleep in the middle of the night without issue, and will sleep 11-12 hours.  I will continue nursing her to sleep at night until she is over it.  My main complaint about breastfeeding is all of the stupid pumping, but I will wean onto cow's milk at a year and then hopefully my body will just produce milk only at bedtime and pumping will be unnecessary.  fingers crossed!

I used to HAVE to rock her to sleep for naps when I was on maternity leave, it was the only way she'd sleep...and as annoying as it was, I kind of wish she still liked occasional rocking.  She won't really tolerate it now unless she has JUST woken up and is still groggy.  She likes to be on the move whenever she's awake.

Over the past week she has started resisting a third daily nap, even when her first two naps were poor...I think we're officially getting into Two Naps a Day territory.  Typically she's still home with DH for her morning nap, and it's 60 minutes or so, but her second nap is at daycare and is usually only 30.  Depending on what time her second nap ends, she used to sometimes take a third late afternoon 30 minute nap, but she's been really against that the past two weeks.  I don't really care how her naps lay out as long as she's happy and she STTN.

• maggk539maggk539 member
    edited March 2016
    LO is 8.5 months & we are having issues with him STTN. He does very well with putting himself to sleep in his crib. He has always woken himself up throughout the night with a little whining/moaning/searching for the elusive pacifier, but he always managed to put himself back to sleep. Staying asleep, however, has been an issue as of late.  For the past month or so he has been waking up SCREAMING around the same time each night. We've tried putting him to bed earlier/later to no avail. We have finally given up on trying to coax him back to sleep in his crib and started bringing him in bed when he wakes up in the middle of the night (big no-no according to his Dr.).  I have been scanning through articles on the internet regarding habitual wakings and we've tried the whole "lightly wake 30 minutes" before his usual waking hour, which hasn't worked either.

He does have GI issues and there have been times where we could clearly hear gas being passed through the monitor before he starts his screaming episode. Anyone else experience night wakings due to tummy issues that are consistent every night? 

• beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited March 2016

@aluicious if it works for you no shame in that!!!!!!! I'm still co-sleeping. LO only wakes up once for a feeding, and momma gets her 8-9 hours of sleep (LO gets 11, I leave the bed as soon as he falls asleep)!

ETA: Oh I forgot to add he has a bottle right before bed and when he wakes up in the MOTN. Goes to back to sleep right after. Yeah Yeah, I know this is a no no, but at this point, I dont' care.

Pregnancy Ticker

• We rock but she finishes whatever she didn't eat from dinner bottle feed, then put her down awake. I'm afraid her not finishing the milk then giving it back to her right before bed is creating a bad habit but whatever!
  • How did you all do with day light savings with LO?

Day one: Went to bed at 9:00pm (super late), woke up 7:45 (Super Late)

Day Two: Went to bed at 8:00pm, woke up 6:30am..... I like this schedule

Pregnancy Ticker

• I don't think daylight savings really had an effect on us.  LO is going through a rough patch of sleeping.  I read that there is a 7,8,9 month sleep regression (can vary).  I am convinced that is what we are going through.  The past few weeks have been miserable.  I am second guessing everything I am doing.  LO will go down super easy at bed time, and then wake up about 3 hours later, and then every 2-3 hours after that.  Having a blast over here.  
  • @swiebe hope that gets better for you soon!
  • @ciennah99 since posting it has not, ha.  I am going to try giving him a bottle of pumped milk before bed and nurse (was our old routine, but I cut it out to try to save myself from being slave the breastpump).  Maybe his sleeplessness is caused by hunger?  Fingers crossed we both get some more sleep tonight!
  • For the past two nights LO has gone down as normal around 730 and then woke up at 1130 and 4.  The first night we went in and fed her.  Last night we just let her thrash around about 15 minutes and she wound up putting herself back to sleep.  Generally she sleeps right through from 730-615 or so.  She also has a bit of a cold right now but I'm thinking this might actually be the 8-9 month regression.
  • maggk539 said:
    He does have GI issues and there have been times where we could clearly hear gas being passed through the monitor before he starts his screaming episode. Anyone else experience night wakings due to tummy issues that are consistent every night? 

Yes, me, over here! My son has always had GI issues (he's cow's milk protein intolerant) and to this day has not once STTN. He puts himself to sleep just fine, doesn't need to be rocked or anything, so I know it's not a matter of inability to self-soothe. We're still nursing 3-4 times every night because that's the only way he'll calm down enough to pass gas! Otherwise he just screams and cries and gets himself all worked up, poor little guy's tummy hurts!
  • So I tried the bottle of pumped milk before bed + nursing and LO slept till 1, and then needed a diaper change due to a nasty poop.  Got him back down without eating till about 3:45, then he wanted to nurse and went back to sleep in his crib until 7:15.   I am calling that a huge success!  Will repeat again tonight and hope for an even better nights sleep.  It's a shame it took me so long to realize what could have been causing the sleepless nights. 
  • We have nightmares a lot over here!
  • Has anyone's LO dropped down to one nap yet? Mine doesn't want his morning nap anymore. I've read they need two naps until a year...
  • We're not even close to STTN. We're still rocking and nursing until drowsy, then putting him down for naps and bedtime. He still protests some, depending on how tired he is, but we're getting there. We're down to two naps a day, generally both a quick 40 minutes. Regular bouts of teething (we're on tooth number six), and the flu haven't helped. Boo!

• ^^ yep. Then I read toddlers don't sleep either lol. I'm never sleeping again. I feel for you. I'm tired all the time too :( 
    I will say that we started putting him in a sleep sack a couple weeks ago and it has made a HUGE difference. He doesn't wake up nearly as much as he was before. Naps are still awful. My mom gets on to me daily that I need to sleep train but it doesn't work for him. 
    I let him cry for 30 minutes yesterday bc I had to get dressed and I knew he was exhausted. And I had already rocked him for 30 minutes. He worked himself up so much he pooped and then took an hour to calm down after that! It's Just not worth it to me. 
  • the one night I let LO fuss for just a bit when she woke early in the night (less than 5 min of fussing & she went back to sleep) I find her at 4:30 this morning with dried puke all over her & her bed! I feel so bad! This parenting business is hard! Poor thing :( 
  • @jessieR358 My guy is currently doing one midday nap. He seems to be doing really well on it so not worried about it. We shall see if it lasts.
  • ^ lately we get one good nap in after lunch. I like it much better since naps are a huge ordeal getting him to stay asleep 
  • Currently doing some sleep training and it's been hard but gets better each day we are still napping twice a day :)
  • i get a shorter morning nap from LO (30 min to an hour) and then he takes a longer afternoon nap, sometimes 2+ hours.