Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

M/C today

Our first ever pregnancy ended in a loss today (at 6W2D). Started bleeding this morning, and I immediately knew I was miscarrying as it was heavy red blood. A few hours later I started having excruciating pelvic pain, became numb and tingly all over, got nauseous and very pale/clammy. DH took me to the ER, where they drew HCG levels in addition to an RH factor. Hcg was at 285. RH was positive. I passed a big clot of tissue in the bathroom and the pelvic pain immediately went away. Supposed to be going back to my OB in 3 days for a retest of HCG levels just to "confirm" the loss. I'm still bleeding, just like a normal period. This is my first ever MC so naturally I am sad but also am wondering about other things--like when normal ovulation resumes. Would today count as the first day of my period? How long does bleeding normally last? I guess the good news is that we know conception occurred and that we can in fact get pregnant. We got pregnant after only 2 cycles of trying so I'm hopeful we will be as fortunate this next time around. 

Re: M/C today

• Options
    I am so sorry for you loss and that you find yourself here. Everyone's "return to function" is different and lots of women can share their experiences here. Usually the day of bleeding is technically "cycle day 1" however most people find it takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks for ovulation to occur after a MC. Some have a few anovulatory cycles. Most people can expect their next period 6-8 weeks after but a lot of ladies on the TTCAL board have very inconsistent cycles for the few first. I would talk to your doctor at your appointment as well. There seems to be a lot of varied preference on having you wait a cycle before trying versus getting the all clear. Hopefully you start feeling better physically soon and give your self plenty of time emotionally. 
  • Options
    Thank you. My periods have always been like clockwork prior to pregnancy, so I am hoping that will ring true this time around! It stinks and it's frustrating...especially with it being our first. Makes me worry that maybe I'll never be able to carry a full term pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with @SnobunnieMel from what I have seen around here most women have some inconsistent cycles. I had a d&c for a missed miscarriage the sac was 6.5wks but I was 10wks. I got my period a little over 5 weeks after my loss. I usually have an average of 26 day cycles and am very consistent. I can't speak for ovulation or anything yet because I am still WTO. Just be prepared for things to be slightly off for a while. Your body has experienced a trauma and it will take some time to get back to normal. I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you tons of luck in the future. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry. So very sorry. 

I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks pregnant and my hcg returned to zero within 2 days. I ovulated 17 days after my loss. And conceived that cycle. For dating reasons, the ob used the date of my miscarriage bleeding as my LMP date. 

Do speak to your ob/midwife about when you can ttc again. 
  • Options
    I am very sorry for your loss @horse232. I also lost my first ever pregnancy. 

In my case, my cycle went back to normal really fast, and I ovulated as expected on day 18-19, counting the day of my D&C as the first day of the cycle. my period came as expected on day 32, it was very heavy and painful though. 

I hope you slowly feel better, we are here for you.

hugs
    -Y
    Married 06.21.14 / TTC since 11.15 /
    BFP 01.03.2016 / MMC 6w5d D&C 02.2016 // BFP 05.06.16 / natural MC 05.12.16
    Benched 06.2016-08.2016 / TTC again 09.2016! On a diet. Cranky.
    BFP 10.02.2016 / NT scan at 12w looked normal / Anatomy scan at 20w everything ok
    Team blue! / EDD June 11th 2017
    DAVID ROGER was born on May 23rd at 37 weeks.

Architect, Peruvian living in Chile. I love art, opera and good chocolate.
    Started PhD studies in Architecture on 2017.
    Fur mom of a rescued miniature poodle called Luke Skywalker.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am truly sorry for your loss! My two and only pregnancies ended in miscarriages. My cycles were always regular. My first miscarriage was natural. I bled for 6 days, ovulated two weeks after, and my cycle started on time, 27 days after my first day of bleeding from the miscarriage. I am still recovering from my 2nd miscarriage, and also had to have a d&c because it was a MMC. From what I've read and from what PP said, everyone's physical (and emotional) recovery is different. Wishing you all the best!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. I too am sorry for all of the losses you have experienced. Going in tomorrow for a recheck of my hcg. Pretty heavy bleeding today w/ lots of clots and cramping. OB "recommends" waiting 3 months before trying again, however, I think we are just gonna go for it and see what happens...maybe not go so much by the book this time. Wait for the MC to complete first and then see what my body does in the next couple weeks. I'm lucky to have a job that is super flexible and allows me to work from home. I took today off and will be working from home tomorrow. I'm a social worker, and the last thing I want to be doing right now is trying to help and take care of other people!

Here's to hoping my cycle resumes in a timely and regular manner! Thank you for all your insights and support!