February 2016 Moms

Sick baby :(

Hey guys.. so this is a vent cause i'm a nervous wreck.
Yesterday I noticed LO was sleeping way more than normal and was going 5+ hours without waking to feed. I didn't really notice (feeling stupid about it too) but when DH got home he realized she had a fever. We called the advice nurse who recommending coming and since it was after hours we had to go to the ER. Fast forward 3 hours and around midnight last night her fever was still high and her first blood tests came back with something abnormal going on with her white cell count and her sodium levels weren't were they were supposed to be.. and then we get the dreaded news we have to be admitted.
I freaked out. I mean i started bawling uncontrollably. Baby girl is only 5 weeks and we're already dealing with this. So here i sit, in this horrible place i was so happy to get out of just a little over a month ago. She's doing okay but her fever keeps going up and down so i think we're here through the weekend until the blood cultures come back from their regional facility. I guess they're looking for a virus, and until then they want to keep her on preventative antibiotics just in case. 
I'm so scared, and just so depressed this is already happening. we had to deal with jaundice when she was born and although it wasn't severe it was still scary because you feel so helpless. And now I feel so helpless again and there's nothing we can do but sit in this stupid hospital room and wait and wait. I hate this  :(
Married: 8/25/12
Started TTC: 1/1/14
BFP: 6/1/15
Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

Re: Sick baby :(

• I'm so sorry you're going through this :( hopefully it passes quickly and you get to take her home soon! Is there anything you can do while you're there to pass the time?
  • Thank you @ashton2190
    I've been watching Netflix on my laptop and trying to catch up on sleep.. But I catch myself just watching the clock which isn't helping at all. I'm just thankfully LO isn't in pain or crying a lot, that would make this 10 times worse.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this. It is something no mama wants to have to experience. My family is sending love and prayers to you and yours. I hope they can find what is going on soon and you can head home to cuddle your sweet girl! 
  • I'm so sorry you're going through that. It's so hard to see your LO sick. :( Hopefully she starts feeling better soon and the blood cultures come back negative (unfortunately, they take 2-3 days to result by the nature of the test, no matter what lab they're at). Hang in there, mama! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @meg+on+the+DL
    @VitaLuna
    Thank you, its been rough but DH is being awesome and just trying to keep me from going insane. I just need time to speed up already!

• Lots of hugs to you!! She will be just fine and in a few weeks this will be a distant memory. You are a great momma ❤️
  • I'm so sorry that you are going through this, and so soon! But as much as you hate to be there, remember that you are in the right place. You may not be able to do anything yourself, but you are surrounded by medical staff who can (and will). Give her all the lovin', and let them handle the medical stuff.
    :-) T&P for you both.
  • (((HUGS))) oh I am so sorry to hear. I truly hope that LO will be home and healthy soon. 
  • Oh, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.  You're in the best place possible with the staff to help your LO get better as quick as possible! I hope you are home snuggling your LO soon! 
  • I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of that. You'll get through this and be all the more confident because of it. LO is the best place and you are a good mama for being there. Good Luck! I hope you get some answers.

• It's so hard to watch your baby not feel good ! Hugs hope she feels better soon !!
  • thank you all, it is super hard but you're right she's in the best care possible and hopefully this will all be over soon.

• That's terrifying! I'm so sorry she's so sick right now. I'm praying for you guys and hoping to hear that she's on the mend and you're on the way home very soon! 
  • g0lightly8706g0lightly8706 member
    edited March 2016
    thank you @mwmiller4

my current annoyance is my MIL though. i know she's trying to help but she is here in the room with us and just is kind of in the way since we can't do much but let her sleep in between feedings.
    basically she'll come in and start touching her like on her hands and forehead and wakes her up. also every time she cries, she automatically says she's hungry, even after she just ate.. like no, babies cry for other reasons. and basically just asks a million other questions that i really don't want to deal with right now. DH thinks she's being helpful, even after i tell him we don't really need her here all the time so i seriously cannot wait to get out of here!

ETA: update on LO, she's doing better so here's hoping this will be over soon once we get the cultures back. 

• Okay so update on LO:
    She has a UTI. Although she is doing better, they need us to stay at the hospital for 7 horrible days. I just about lost it when they told us that, however now that i've calmed down I'm trying to look at the big picture that she is doing better since they put her on antibiotics. She just needs the full bout of treatment and here's hoping this is just one long week we can forget about as soon as it's over. I guess parenthood really wanted to test us early on.  :(

• Hang in there! Glad they figured out what was wrong but I'm so sorry you're stuck in the hospital for that long!
  • So sorry your there for so long but also so thankful they found out what was wrong ! Hope she has a speedy recovery 
  • AchaeAchae member
    Poor girl, glad they figured out what was wrong and she can be on the mend!
  • @g0lightly8706 I'm so sorry you're stuck there. Are you able to stay with her in a room? Or do they have her in the NICU? I wish somebody us were closer to come give you a hug or a cookie or just hang out to help pass the time. I'm glad they figured it out. Praying the week goes fast!
  • @g0lightly8706 I'm so glad she's doing better on antibiotics but I can understand your agony over 7 days in the hospital! Here's to it going really fast and I'm so sorry that she got so sick!
  • Oh gosh, I probably would've started sobbing when they told me 7 days. :( Glad they've found the culprit and hopefully the right antibiotics will heal her up quickly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Oh wow, I'm so glad they found out what was going on and that she is doing better but 7 days in the hospital with a newborn sounds awful :(. I hope your MIL is not still there causing unnecessary  stress. 
  • Poor Baby! I'm glad they figured it all out though and she's on track for getting well. Keep your chin up and this will be over before you know it.

• Thank you all!
    She's still doing good, just her normal routine but here at the hospital instead of home. And no she's not in the NICU and we're able to pick her up thankfully so we're just trying to pass the time. Thankfully we live about 5 mins away from the hospital so we've been taking shifts here so we don't go too crazy. It's gonna be a long week though  :/