Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Swaddling question

I posted this on my BMB as well, but I think that some of you with older babies (my LO is 4mo) may have some good information to share. 

I know that in order to aid LO's development we need to stop swaddling so they have the opportunity to move around at night in their sleep. But I'm confused as to what constitutes swaddling. 

We use a halo sleep sack and successfully transitioned to "arms out" sleeping. However, is the fact that her legs are still in a sack mean she's still swaddled? We also still wrap the Velcro around her waist. 

Im just confused if she should be completely free during sleep now or if sacks are still ok and allow for proper development. I'd have her out of the sack if it wasn't so cold at night here, so if getting out of the swaddle means having free legs too I'd love your tips on keeping your LO's warm at night!

Re: Swaddling question

• Options
    SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited March 2016
    Sleep sack isn't considered swaddling IMO. Swaddling is a lot tighter. Your LO can still pretty freely move her arms and legs in a sack, at least she should be. My LO can even stand in his sleep sack. Lots of babies use sacks until they're a year or older. She's fine!
  • Options
    DD is only 14 weeks but I agree with pp. I don't think arms out swaddling in a halo is going to cause issues. Legs and arms can still move freely. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree. My pedi called the sleep sack a wearable blanket.  Not the same as a swaddle.  I never swaddled my LO but I do use sleep sacks when it's cold and he's almost 7 months.  Just make sure sack is right size for LO.