Pregnant after 35

SECOND HARMONY DRAW

I found out on Monday that after waiting two weeks for my Harmony results, they were inconclusive.  I had them redrawn the same day.  Imagine my complete surprise when the doctor's office called tonight (4 days after the redraw) and told me that my results were in!  Low risk for everything and there is at least one boy.  I am soooo relieved and ecstatic that we got good results and not another inconclusive!  Just had to share!

Re: SECOND HARMONY DRAW

• Wooohoooooo, great news!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That's wonderful news!!! Congratulations!
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Awesome news!! Congratulations!!!
  • Yay! That's wonderful  <3
  • Yay! So glad you didn't have to wait forever again! And, of course, super glad you got good news!
  • Thank you all!  I have been giddy all night long!
  • Yay!  Congrats!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• That is great news. Congrats. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Very happy for you and I'm glad you got the results so quick! 
  • Congratulations!  This supports my theory that your blood volume is so much higher with twins, the Harmony should be delayed - since the exact same thing happened to me.  They told me they had 70% success with the redraw and I was so worried I'd be in the 30%! :)
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • The rate of "inconclusive" results for twin pregnancies is higher for these cell free DNA tests (like Harmony, etc) - they have more stringent quality control cut-offs because getting a reliable result is more difficult with twins. This makes sense because if they want to make sure BOTH twins don't have a genetic abnormality then they need more material because each twin dilutes out the other one's DNA.
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • Congrats, that's wonderful news!
  • @emsmama15 and @redheadbride15, I think I would have worried less if I had had your information from the beginning, but my doctor's office told me nothing other than that the sample didn't meet quality control.  I had no idea that was more likely with twin pregnancies.  So I googled, and of course stumbled onto a study where they found that people with two inconclusive draws were four times more likely to have a chromosomal abnormality discovered later in the pregnancy.  I didn't know that there was a 70% chance of a successful second draw.  My first one was taken at 12 weeks and I thought that would be enough, but the second one was at 14 weeks....they should make twin moms wait longer!  Thank you all for your support.  I am so beyond relieved!
  • Yay congrats! Wonderful news!
  • Damn google! Well it is true for singleton pregnancies that an inconclusive draw increases your risks. That's because fetuses with a chromosome abnormality usually have smaller placentas so less of the fetal DNA makes it into mom's bloodstream. But it's still true that the majority of the time everything's normal. This is especially true in your case with a twin pregnancy. Having normal NT scans also makes the likelihood of an anomaly very very low. Anyway, I'm so happy for your good outcome! Testing is a nice thing but it certainly can make one really anxious! 
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • Sorry  to hijack this thread but I have a question for @redheadbride15  although I'm not sure if this is a question you have the answer to. If the first and second trimester screening come back normal as well as the NT scan, what percentage of error is there that they could be wrong? I still haven't done NIPT  and I'm considering not doing it at all if all of those test come back normal. By the time I'll be able to do NIPT, whether California pays for it or I do I'll be around 17 weeks.  I'm just not sure we can afford to pay for it ourselves, but I will if that margin for error is high with the other tests. Sorry if that's not the right question for you and disregard if it isn't. Thanks
  • Sorry  to hijack this thread but I have a question for @redheadbride15  although I'm not sure if this is a question you have the answer to. If the first and second trimester screening come back normal as well as the NT scan, what percentage of error is there that they could be wrong? I still haven't done NIPT  and I'm considering not doing it at all if all of those test come back normal. By the time I'll be able to do NIPT, whether California pays for it or I do I'll be around 17 weeks.  I'm just not sure we can afford to pay for it ourselves, but I will if that margin for error is high with the other tests. Sorry if that's not the right question for you and disregard if it isn't. Thanks
    It's all statistics... There's always a small remaining risk after a negative test, for all tests. The first and second trimester screens, plus the NT scan results, combined with your age, are used to calculate a risk score. Usually the doc will just tell you it was "negative" or "low risk" but the actual test report will usually give a number, like 1 in 5,000 or something like that. You could probably find this result if you ask your doctor for it directly. This is true of the cell-free DNA tests too, but because they're much more accurate the remaining risk is usually very, very low (like 1:10,000 or less) so most people just say it's "negative". Anyway, i suspect that your remaining risk is probably very low after all those screens, but I couldn't tell you for sure without seeing the actual report. Hope that helps!
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
  • Thanks @redheadbride15 I might be PM-ing you in few weeks, but yes very helpful!
  • Thanks @redheadbride15 I might be PM-ing you in few weeks, but yes very helpful!
    Of course! Feel free to PM me. It makes sense to think through it carefully if the test ends up being a big out-of-pocket cost for you. The screening tests, although cumbersome, are also pretty good - there's a reason why they were standard of care until a few years ago.
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d