January 2016 Moms

Abdominal separation

I didn't have it bad with my first but I have a 4 finger depth/width with this one. Any tricks to help it close? I'm working out 4-5 times a week now. Just wondering if there are any specific exercises to help it along. 

Re: Abdominal separation

• You shouldn't be doing any traditional ab exercises until it closes to at least 1 finger width and depth. Look up tva (transverse abdominal) exercises since that will help close the muscles that support your "6 pack ab" muscles. There's some great videos on YouTube if you look up diastasis recti exercises. Hope this helps!
  • My midwife told me to walk around and "suck it in" like I'm trying to look skinny.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just met with a pelvic floor physiotherapist this week. I also have a four finger width separation. She told me to avoid planks and sit ups/ crunches. I am also working on strengthening my pelvic floor and walking and sitting with correct posture. I have a follow up appointment in a month to check for improvement.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great. Thanks ladies! 
  • I had a 2 1/2 cm separation at birth and it was closed at 6 weeks using the Birth2FitMum program from pregnancyexercises.co.nz 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Who tells you if you have a separation? 
  • @hannahduff3 My midwife told me at my post partum.
  • Who tells you if you have a separation? 
    I felt my stomach was just different from after my first and I looked it and saw how to measure. Just google or YouTube and it easy to do. It was crazy to feel such a gap. kvacmak said:
    I had a 2 1/2 cm separation at birth and it was closed at 6 weeks using the Birth2FitMum program from pregnancyexercises.co.nz 
    I will look it up! 
  • I had a huge gap (4-5cm) in my abs after my baby. My midwife told me about it at my 4 week appointment, but I felt something was wrong, like I couldn't engage my abs when I tried. She also said it happens most often with twins, or really big babies (mine was 10.5 lbs). The cure is staying away from high impact workouts  until it is healed, no sit-ups, planks, or burpees too. Do only tummy safe exercises for diastasis recti, like the ones in the link below, and try to engage your core when sitting, standing, and especially when you are walking. Mine was completely resolved by 8 weeks and I am back running almost every day. 

https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/exercises-to-treat-diastasis-recti/

Lurking from D15, but I have a J16 baby :)