February 2016 Moms

Baby won't stay asleep? Advice?

Turner is 6 weeks old and a pretty great sleeper at night but we struggle all day long. At night he does great in his bassinet and will sleep from about 10-3then eat and go back to sleep in his swing til about 6. During the day he fights sleep so bad and honestly cries more if I hold him than if I put him in his swing so we do that and he'll cry for a few minutes then fall asleep but only sleeps about 10 min before he's crying again. He'll cry for 5-10 min then go back to sleep and wake again after 5-10 min and repeat the process. Sometimes he'll do this for an hour til he finally settles into a deeper sleep and will sleep 1-2 hours. 

Is this normal? I've tried keeping him up longer after eating before a nap but then he seems overly tired and cries even more. 

Re: Baby won't stay asleep? Advice?

• My LO is almost 5 weeks and we just started this today! I text my husband at work and said I was going to lose my shit. She wouldn't sleep, wouldn't feed, didn't want to be rocked, the dogs kept barking at people walking by and it's garbage day. 

Mama needs a cocktail!! 
  • My daughter does this too, she's 6 weeks and it seems like she's scared she's going to miss something if she sleeps during the day. We get a 5 1/2hr stretch at night then feed then another 3 or 4 hour stretch but during the day the longest she sleeps is maybe an hour at a time. When she's awake she isn't super fussy though so I'm hoping she is just gradually becoming more alert but I do plan on asking about it at my next appointment, the last thing I want is an overtired baby! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Is your LO getting enough awake time? It could be that he's just not ready for nap yet. My DD is only 2.5wks, but she spends a lot more time awake these days and has shorter naps. Or.. He could just be doing the baby thing and doing whatever he wants ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Y'all are lucky... I can get my babe to sleep during the day, but not at night.  It's the most frustrating thing.  It's as if come 10, 11, midnight, she actually gets more awake.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Y'all are lucky... I can get my babe to sleep during the day, but not at night.  It's the most frustrating thing.  It's as if come 10, 11, midnight, she actually gets more awake.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 

• My LO is 7 weeks and for the last week or so naps have suffered. I think she just hit the point where she is more aware and needs to be put to sleep, not just allowed to fall asleep. I taker her to her room, dim the room, rock her and put on some white noise. Then I put her to sleep in her bassinet tucked with a blanket or her bouncy chair.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @egraves4 my older DD was like that. 11pm-2 or 3am she would be wide awake. It was rough. DD2 isn't a great night sleeper, but much better than DD1. I feel for you! 

• My LO is 5 weeks he gave us a run for our money last week. So my new thing to try this week is to give him 2 naps during the day one at 12-2 then another around 4-6 he typically knocks out again around 10. *we are night people*  I've started to warm a blanket up for him. Since transferring him from mommy warm body to a cold bed would wake him. So far it seems to do the trick we have only tried this starting Monday but it works.
  • My LO refuses to sleep unless held or touching me. Only 3.5 weeks old and I'm losing it. He also eats every hour starting around supper time. I gave up at 3 this morning at putting him in his crib and then he slept for 4 hours in bed with us. I am not a fan of cosleeping. Help!
  • Mine is a pretty good sleeper at night but during the day it's hit or miss. She doesn't like sleeping in her pack n play's bassinet but she loves sleeping on my chest. She'll also slee in her bouncer, but sometimes I need to bounce it for her on top of the vibrations. I just wait for her to give me cues that she's tired like yawning and fussing 
  • My LO refuses to sleep unless held or touching me. Only 3.5 weeks old and I'm losing it. He also eats every hour starting around supper time. I gave up at 3 this morning at putting him in his crib and then he slept for 4 hours in bed with us. I am not a fan of cosleeping. Help!
    I absolutely feel for you girl.  My LO is 5 weeks old and the past 2 nights that's  what she did.  She screamed her head off for 4 hours straight, fell asleep in the bed after nursing, and there was no chance in hell I was touching her with a 10 foot pole.. My mom actually got onto me about it today, and honestly, it's all up to you.  You know yourself and if you trust yourself to have that control, do what you need to to get sleep otherwise you and I both are going to go quite literally insane.  I threw a bottle at a wall last night.  Not my best moment.  It gets easier.  I think.  That's what people keep telling me and I'm grasping onto that.  It does help that she's usually an angel during the day.

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15

• I told my SO the other night that he had to take LO because I didn't want to hurt him. I was in tears. I sat in the recliner cuddling him for over a half hour then put him in his crib. He's sleeping now for over an hour on his own. *sigh* maybe we are in the clear *knock on wood*
  • Glad to see I'm not alone. It's so frustrating. I know it gets easier, my 5 year old is proof of it, but it still sucks. It makes the days seem awfully long. karichards88 said:
    I told my SO the other night that he had to take LO because I didn't want to hurt him. I was in tears. I sat in the recliner cuddling him for over a half hour then put him in his crib. He's sleeping now for over an hour on his own. *sigh* maybe we are in the clear *knock on wood*
    I'm sorry! I've been there once so far. Luckily DH is so helpful and could see I needed a break. 
    I hear ya! I was not a fan of the idea of co-sleeping either, I swore I would never do it when I was pregnant and that room sharing would be sufficient. But LO sleeps so well in bed with me, not so well anywhere else. I bought a cosleeper that goes in bed with me so I could feel safe about letting her sleep with me. DH is too deep a sleeper so he is exiled to the spare room. You do what you have to to sleep!
  • @dtaded13 .. Turner is doing exactly the same thing as Arlia. (She'll be 6 weeks on Saturday). Sleeps 10pm-3am, then wakes again at 6. She fights sleep during the day & will wake after 10-20mins if I'm not rocking her bassinet. It usually takes about an hour for her to settle into a deep sleep & I can get close to an hour, maybe 2 if i'm lucky. She has multiple little cat naps throughout the day though. I'll take that over a screaming over-tired baby.

I've put it down to being a "wonder week".. They're going through their first major growth spurt so whilst it's a little frustrating, I know it won't last for long. 

Hang in there! ☺️

• My LO just turned 6 weeks today. Although she's always been a great sleeper, I've noticed she does so much better with warm bottles. She's drinking it and just get lazy eye then chi right to sleep. Sometimes i put a small amount of cereal in her bottles warm it up.It works for me. She ends up sleeping so long I have to move her to make sure she's alive. :)
  • Never thought about warming up a blanket. BRILLIANT
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited March 2016
    Toshap1 said:
    My LO just turned 6 weeks today. Although she's always been a great sleeper, I've noticed she does so much better with warm bottles. She's drinking it and just get lazy eye then chi right to sleep. Sometimes i put a small amount of cereal in her bottles warm it up.It works for me. She ends up sleeping so long I have to move her to make sure she's alive. :)
    Please do NOT put cereal in a 6wk old's bottle! Their digestive systems are not mature enough, and it's empty filler/calories that take the place of the nutrition they need. There's a reason doctors recommend waiting until 6 months for solids, with 4 months being the absolute earliest.