November 2016 Moms
Options

Dealing w Fear of Early Miscarriage

Hi all -

I've been completely losing it over my anxiety over MC. It's really early, and it's out of my control - but I'm an anxious person anyhow, and was up a few hours last night freaking out about this. So, googling on these boards and such I found this one post and wanted to share! It's not perfect of course, these numbers can't possibly be the same bc of age, other conditions, etc etc, but this made me feel a little better - down to a 76% chance of MC, and getting better ever day the blastocyst sticks!

Other tips for being a less insane person totally welcome! Ugh....

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12575727/the-odds-of-not-having-an-early-miscarriage/p1

l4rk said:
Hello Ladies!

I've noticed that no matter how many times I look up miscarriages rates, I walk away feeling only slightly better (at best). I'm the kind of person who finds reassurance in statistics, but for some reason, all of the existing posts weren't doing it for me. And then I realized why: articles on miscarriage focus on the chances you're going to miscarry and all the comments share miscarriage stories--they don't focus on how many people DON'T have miscarriages and go on to have happy, healthy babies! 

I adapted this week-by-week chart and modified it so that it would focus on the positive rather than the negative! Since I found the positive spin benefiting my peace of mind, I thought it might benefit some of you too.

By the way, anyone in this January 2016 club already has a better chance of NOT having a miscarriage than having one... The numbers are on your side! 

ProgressProbability of NOT having a miscarriage
3W, 0D67%
3W, 1D67.10%
3W, 2D67.40%
3W, 3D68%
3W, 4D68.70%
3W, 5D69.70%
3W, 6D70.80%
4W, 0D72%
4W, 1D73.50%
4W, 2D74.80%
4W, 3D76.40%
4W, 4D77.90%
4W, 5D79.50%
4W, 6D81.10%
5W, 0D82.70%
5W, 1D84.20%
5W, 2D85.60%
5W, 3D87%
5W, 4D88.30%
5W, 5D89.50%
5W, 6D90.60%
6W, 0D91.60%
6W, 1D92.50%
6W, 2D93.40%
6W, 3D94.10%
6W, 4D94.70%
6W, 5D95.30%
6W, 6D95.70%
7W, 0D96.10%
7W, 1D96.50%
7W, 2D96.80%
7W, 3D97%
7W, 4D97.20%
7W, 5D97.40%
7W, 6D97.50%
8W, 0D97.60%
8W, 1D97.70%
8W, 2D97.80%
8W, 3D97.80%
8W, 4D97.90%
8W, 5D97.90%
8W, 6D97.90%
9W, 0D97.90%
9W, 1D (and on)98%+

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Dealing w Fear of Early Miscarriage

• Options
    I think most of us have the same fear even without a previous MC.   The statistics you posted have already been posted on this board, somewhere.  It was a couple weeks ago, I believe.
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • Options
    I had the same fears when I was pregnant with my daughter.  Like PP said, I think everyone feels it no matter if you have a history or not.  I thought I would be much more calm about it this pregnancy but I was totally wrong, I'm still anxoius about it.  All you can do is take it day by day.  I look to DH to calm me down when I'm especially anxious and that really helps.

BFP #1 12/23/12 EDD 9/3/13 DD #1 8/26/13

BFP #2  2/25/16  EDD 11/5/16 MMC 4/15/16

BFP #3  8/31/16  EDD  5/12/17 It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's good to remember, that as common as it is, there's still a very good chance that we won't miscarry.  This beginning stage is so tough. I wish we could fast forward!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    This is great!! I've been worried about the same thing. I'm 5W5D. And I'm like you--just an anxious person in general. So automatically my mind jumps to the negatives! I've only taken two pregnancy tests. The second test's lines showed up way darker than the first test I took, which seems to be a good sign. Im trying to control my urge to go out and waste more money on tests so that I don't turn into a "compulsive tester." My first appt isn't for another 2.5 weeks!!  Which seems like an eternity! Thanks for sharing. 
  • Options
    This is great!! I've been worried about the same thing. I'm 5W5D. And I'm like you--just an anxious person in general. So automatically my mind jumps to the negatives! I've only taken two pregnancy tests. The second test's lines showed up way darker than the first test I took, which seems to be a good sign. Im trying to control my urge to go out and waste more money on tests so that I don't turn into a "compulsive tester." My first appt isn't for another 2.5 weeks!!  Which seems like an eternity! Thanks for sharing. 
  • Options
    I've never seen those statistics, so that gave me a boost. Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    @comealongponds  I hope you don't mind me posting since I'm technically not supposed to be here anymore, but I just wanted to say that I'm so happy that your doctors appointment went well this morning and that you got to hear two heartbeats! I'm really rooting for you and your twins! (Also I meant that in the least internet creepy way! :smile: )
    Me: 29 & DH: 33
    Married: May 2009
    ttc #1 since October 2015
    BFP: 3/8 - CP
  • Options
    doraleigh35doraleigh35 member
    edited March 2016
    I completely agree with @chloe97 and @comealongponds

***TW***

I was also a part of the 2% at 8w4d so I don't find these statistics comforting. With having two losses I felt robbed of the excitement for future pregnancies. I've worked hard to get back into a positive mindset. I try not think about the past and recognize that this is a different little bean. I also remind myself daily that "today I am pregnant" and try to not worry about the "what ifs". There are no signs right now that this won't be a healthy pregnancy, I try to take comfort in that.

Like the other ladies have said, be thankful that you are pregnant today and try not to think about what could happen.

Edit: missed a word

ETA: This post was not intended to say that OP or anyone else should not find comfort in statistics. Nor was I implying that anyone should stop worrying. I was only speaking of my own experience and how I am dealing with the anxiety of early pregnancy. I apologize if anyone misinterpreted my intent or was offended.

• Options
    ChelleCPA said:
    @comealongponds  I hope you don't mind me posting since I'm technically not supposed to be here anymore, but I just wanted to say that I'm so happy that your doctors appointment went well this morning and that you got to hear two heartbeats! I'm really rooting for you and your twins! (Also I meant that in the least internet creepy way! :smile: )
    Of course I don't mind @ChelleCPA! Thank you for your well wishes...I hope you get get your rainbow soon. *creepy Internet hugs*
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Agree with the other ladies. I was in the 2% category when I had my loss (was not a high risk pregnancy). I was shocked because I had seen those exact statistics and thought it was safe. Trying to take things a day at a time this go round and am grateful to be pregnant. 
  • Options
    It's probably a personal thing, but I am going to worry about this baby.  I worry about my other two kids also.  I have had a miscarriage, but I still find comfort in statistics, and once I see a heartbeat I will definitely feel better and better each time, as the risk goes on.  I think it's normal to feel anxious at this point, and normal to reach for signs that things might be okay.  I think it's great that we can have posts on the board about our stress, because of course lots of us are feeling the same way.  For me it's helpful to talk about the stress, but it would bog my H down to hear it day after day.  This is a place I can come to talk about it.  I'm thankful people start posts about these topics.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    hellopartyof5hellopartyof5 member
    edited March 2016
    Yes, someone always has to be in the unfortunate percentage of the statistics. But I don't think that should deter people from finding comfort in the statistics. Why worry women more than they already are?
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    I am surprised by the responses above. Telling her to not be anxious about losing her baby? Really? Find me one woman on here that isn't worried about that. Or to suggest she isn't grateful for being pregnant every day? We're all on this board for a reason, because we're all stoked we're in this predicament. And if we aren't, we're most likely trying to be, like OP. 

Of course statistics aren't foolproof but it's still a guideline, a piece of information that might aid someone in learning how these things tend to go. Sure made me feel better when I saw it and I've had a loss before.

• Options
    RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited March 2016
    @HomeyDontPlayThat, I think you are misunderstanding people's previous posts. No one told her not to be anxious. I said that anxiety didn't do any good (because it doesn't), and explained ways I'm managing my own fears. No one told her she wasn't grateful to be pregnant - they suggested she focus on that - focus on something positive - to help fight the anxiety. Of course we're all worried about this - loss moms often even more than average.

ETA: I don't think there is a single loss mom on here that would ever tell someone "just stop worrying" or that they are ungrateful for being pregnant.

• Options
    @HomeyDontPlayThat, I think you are misunderstanding people's previous posts. No one told her not to be anxious. I said that anxiety didn't do any good (because it doesn't), and explained ways I'm managing my own fears. No one told her she wasn't grateful to be pregnant - they suggested she focus on that - focus on something positive - to help fight the anxiety. Of course we're all worried about this - loss moms often even more than average.

I just don't see the point in posting about things that are unavoidable. She posted statistics, vented about anxiety and everyone told their story about losing their baby anyway. I just don't see the point in that. As far as what people told her, I mean, let's just disagree on that.
  • Options
    Everyone copes in their own way. Statistics don't mean a thing if you're on the wrong side of them, but these numbers showing how the risk goes down every day helps me with my anxiety. Thank you for sharing, OP!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am surprised by the responses above. Telling her to not be anxious about losing her baby? Really? Find me one woman on here that isn't worried about that. Or to suggest she isn't grateful for being pregnant every day? We're all on this board for a reason, because we're all stoked we're in this predicament. And if we aren't, we're most likely trying to be, like OP. 

Of course statistics aren't foolproof but it's still a guideline, a piece of information that might aid someone in learning how these things tend to go. Sure made me feel better when I saw it and I've had a loss before.

I think this is may be misinterpreting people's intents, definitely my intent. I don't think anyone was assuming that she isn't grateful for being pregnant. Those who responded about the statistics not being comforting, weren't saying others can't find comfort in them. Nor was anyone saying there wasn't validation in being nervous, of course everyone is nervous. I think some of the ladies were just describing how they were handing the situation and anxiety especially being PGAL. I have been trying to stay positive myself and focusing on the fact that today I am pregnant, which is why I was suggesting that OP do the same.
  • Options
    EDK2010 said:

I think this is may be misinterpreting people's intents, definitely my intent. I don't think anyone was assuming that she isn't grateful for being pregnant. Those who responded about the statistics not being comforting, weren't saying others can't find comfort in them. Nor was anyone saying there wasn't validation in being nervous, of course everyone is nervous. I think some of the ladies were just describing how they were handing the situation and anxiety especially being PGAL. I have been trying to stay positive myself and focusing on the fact that today I am pregnant, which is why I was suggesting that OP do the same.
    This^^^ I think all of our posts were intended to provide examples of all the other ways we cope with our own anxiety, from the perspective of people who've been through it. Everyone needs to find their own ways to cope, whether that's through statistics or mantras, or anything else.
  • Options
    EDK2010 said:

If so, I apologize. I went back and reread, I can see how it can be taken both ways. I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

I saw how people responded and I got mad on OP's behalf. I think it was unnecessary. It made me think of how people celebrate V day and find comfort in that, what's wrong comparing your stage in pregnancy to this chart and finding solace in that? That's all I'm saying. 
  • Options
    It did come across to me as if people were telling OP to stop worrying and being anxious and that the statistics weren't meaningful.  Thank you all for clearing that up.  I definitely think we are all going to get through these early weeks in different ways, and it's helpful for many of us to have a place to express those different feelings.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    MollySm said:
    It did come across to me as if people were telling OP to stop worrying and being anxious and that the statistics weren't meaningful.  Thank you all for clearing that up.  I definitely think we are all going to get through these early weeks in different ways, and it's helpful for many of us to have a place to express those different feelings.  
    I just edited my original post to clarify - I would never want anyone to think I was saying "just stop worrying". 
  • Options
    @HomeyDontPlayThat I can see how the responses can be taken both ways and I certainly wasn't trying to make OP feel worse. Thanks for understanding that we are all coming from different experiences and opinions.

Like @Mollysm said, we are all trying to deal with these early weeks in our own way. What may make sense to some ladies might not be comforting for others.
  • Options
    I just keep seeing those same stats pop up multiple times on multiple boards. I can't speak for others, I just tried to say that they gave me a false sense of reassurance my first go round. When I asked my doctor about them he had some doubts about their accuracy and suggested I focus on each day and my own individual situation. I just wish I would have know that they aren't foolproof. I guess I knew that on one level but seeing them didn't help me in retrospect because it made it all feel worse. Just my perspective. Whatever helps people get through this tough time is fine by me. I think women who have had a loss were just trying to share their experience/ perspective since the post was titled fear of miscarriage. 
  • Options
    Jolenef07 said:
    I just keep seeing those same stats pop up multiple times on multiple boards. I can't speak for others, I just tried to say that they gave me a false sense of reassurance my first go round. When I asked my doctor about them he had some doubts about their accuracy and suggested I focus on each day and my own individual situation. I just wish I would have know that they aren't foolproof. I guess I knew that on one level but seeing them didn't help me in retrospect because it made it all feel worse. Just my perspective. Whatever helps people get through this tough time is fine by me. I think women who have had a loss were just trying to share their experience/ perspective since the post was titled fear of miscarriage. 
    ^^This
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just want to say if I'm the one that took this thread off topic I'm sorry.  I wasn't  trying to put anyone down or accuse anyone of anything.

I know the pain of being on the losing end of statistics and I just thought maybe that frustration would have a better home in our PGAL thread. Maybe I'm overly sensitive (I'm pregnant of course I'm over sensitive) but I just thought if those numbers help someone just let them live in the bliss of those numbers.  

Again I'm sorry if any felt I was being rude or accusatory never my intentions.