June 2016 Moms

Gestational Diabetes/Glucose Test Thread

Hello!

Since we are all entering that special time when we get to take the 1hr or 3hr glucose test I thought it might be helpful to start a thread to discuss! Please post questions, concerns, and personal accounts. Good luck and I hope everyone passes!

Re: Gestational Diabetes/Glucose Test Thread

• I felt fine during the test (1hr) but after eating lunch a couple of hours later I got crazy shaky and lightheaded.  Hope I passed- should know by the weekend.
  • There's a thread for this, check a couple of pages back. 
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I took the 1 hr glucose test at 27 weeks and was devastated to find out I had failed. I was extremely anxious and stressed out about the prospect of having GD especially since I was fairly confident I did not have it and was extremely surprised to have failed the 1 hr. Yesterday I went in for the 3 hr... which at my Dr. is actually a 4 hour. I was asked to start fasting the night before at 7:30 and report to the lab the next morning at 7:30am. I had a blood draw immediately and urine sample. Before beginning the actual lab they test the urine for sugar, if sugar is present they will automatically diagnose you with GD and they won't make you move forward with the rest of the lab. Thankfully, my urine sample came back clean and I was "allowed" to drink the nasty drink. FYI, the drink for the 3hr test is slighty larger in volume and way more sugary, it actually burned going down... chug it. I then had a blood draw once every hour for three hours.... so four blood draws total (and I am a NOT a fan of needles). Some side effects I experienced during my 3 hr lab include.. nausea, diarrhea, and a major sugar crash. I left the lab at about 11:30 am and headed to the grocery store (still hadn't eaten anything) where I developed cold sweats and shaky muscles.... sooo my advice to you is to pack a snack for immediately after your lab because you're gonna feel funky. Also if you are working, I highly recommend taking the day off, I went home and slept all afternoon and woke up feeling MUCH better.

A few hours later I received a call telling me I passed the 3 hr with flying colors *huge sigh of relief*. Cue the dairy queen blizzards please : )

• I had my 1 hr test at 28 weeks earlier this week. Drink went down fine, despite hearing from many people how awful it tasted. I actually didn't think it was too bad! I definitely felt jittery after awhile. A little later in the afternoon, I was feeling slightly lightheaded so I drank a bunch of water and ate a snack. Heard back same day that I had passed with flying colors - thank goodness! 
  • My dr just called me this morning telling me I failed my 1 hour test on Monday. They are letting me wait until spring break in 2 weeks to do the 3 hour test (I have sooo many dr appts being high risk that I literally cannot take more time off work). Since I had GD with my son they made me promise to follow that diet until then. What sucks is, I didn't bring my lunch to work today soooo idk what to get from the school cafeteria ughhhhh. 
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Needless to say since I just found out I failed my two hour test by 1 point yesterday and I can't "cue the dairy Queen blizzards" for the next 14 weeks, I'm annoyed by this thread. But I'm sure it's just me being mad as I realize how much of the foods I love I either can't eat or should really monitor. (No more tot casseroles for me)
  • Starlight32Starlight32 member
    edited March 2016
    I failed the one hour and passed the three with flying colors. I drank a lot of milk before the one hour and I think that didn't help. I suggest fasting for the one hour regardless of what the dr and lab say lol
  • "Please post questions, concerns, and personal accounts. Good luck and I hope everyone passes!"

This board is meant to be a supportive/informational space. Obviously some people are going to pass and others will fail.. it's not a competition.. it's a sharing of experiences. Try not to take individuals personal accounts personally. Maybe there are ladies out there who are unsure about the process and might find this board helpful.

• I had to drink the drink 1 hour prior to getting blood drawn for the 1 hour test. So I ate a good protein breakfast cause it said to eat like normal just nothing sugary. Drank the nasty flat sprite flavored drink. I chugged that bad boy, it burned my throat afterwards yuck! Got to my appointment 1 hour after and the birthing center had only two people working that morning due to bad weather until the others came in. My midwife had to call someone to figure out how to do the blood draw so I was thinking because of this I might not pass. 2 weeks later I still hadn't heard nothing so I called and they said I passed with flying colors! Hallelujah! Oh and I didn't really have any side effects at all from the blood draw or the drink. Maybe I just handle sugar well idk.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I opted for the fruit punch flavored drink and it wasn't bad at all. Mine also didn't have any dyes in it! I didn't have any issue with taking it or feel gross afterward. It's not always a bad experience so don't let anyone freak you out. I did have a snack and water with me for after my blood draw. 

I failed my 1 hour and am going in for my 3 hour later this week :( not looking forward to that. I do hope they have the fruit punch flavor since I know I can tolerate it well. 

Please follow your doctors instructions for the 1 hour, some will have you fast and some don't want you to fast. Some women's results have shown them failing the 1 hour because of fasting. No reason to do anything to throw off a test and push you into an even longer test that you have to (partially) pay for. 
  • "Please post questions, concerns, and personal accounts. Good luck and I hope everyone passes!"

This board is meant to be a supportive/informational space. Obviously some people are going to pass and others will fail.. it's not a competition.. it's a sharing of experiences. Try not to take individuals personal accounts personally. Maybe there are ladies out there who are unsure about the process and might find this board helpful.

Luckily there has already been threads started in dedication to this very topic. My personal issue was with the way you approached it. You started the topic (that has very recently already been started which is easy to find through a quick search of the board) and then came off to me as gloating that you "passed with flying colors" and to "cue the dairy Queen blizzards please". Your comment specifically came off as bragging and insensitive towards people who might have recently gotten stressful news. 
    I agree with @June2016BabyW. Obviously the people who passed it don't need support... and to start off by saying whoop whoop nothing to worry about here, thank GAWD I don't have to give up muh blizzards seems a little insensitive to those who didn't have such positive results (although I'm SURE it wasn't meant that way). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I took the test this morning. It didnt go so well! The drink didnt make me sick for about 20 min. After that i felt very light headed. The nurse forgot about me and didnt attempt to take my blood till 1hr and 15 min. Then she struggled to find a vein and i ended up asking for another nurse after she poked me twice unsuccessfully. I felt bad but i really struggle with needles and ended up having to stay an extra 15 min to clear the dizzyness:/
  • 1. Quite a few people have posted within this thread so clearly, there was a need. Those who are feeling juvenile and immature should know better than to let themselves be bothered by something as simple as a mother-to-be posting a new thread...seriously...get a grip!

2. The mere fact I wanted to be part of this thread was to share experiences and have everyone benefit from each others stories. Clearly, there are some of you who are unable to cope with their own stressors and feel the need to attack me in a pity attempt to make themselves feel better. You should be ashamed of yourselves! 

3. I want no part of a group of gaggling geese who are too self absorbed to remain objective and not be total assholes. Hopefully you can be more supportive of each other than you were of me.

I wish you all the best of luck in your pregnancies

• Hello!

Since we are all entering that special time when we get to take the 1hr or 3hr glucose test I thought it might be helpful to start a thread to discuss! Please post questions, concerns, and personal accounts. Good luck and I hope everyone passes!

I took the 1 hr glucose test at 27 weeks and was devastated to find out I had failed. I was extremely anxious and stressed out about the prospect of having GD especially since I was fairly confident I did not have it and was extremely surprised to have failed the 1 hr. Yesterday I went in for the 3 hr... which at my Dr. is actually a 4 hour. I was asked to start fasting the night before at 7:30 and report to the lab the next morning at 7:30am. I had a blood draw immediately and urine sample. Before beginning the actual lab they test the urine for sugar, if sugar is present they will automatically diagnose you with GD and they won't make you move forward with the rest of the lab. Thankfully, my urine sample came back clean and I was "allowed" to drink the nasty drink. FYI, the drink for the 3hr test is slighty larger in volume and way more sugary, it actually burned going down... chug it. I then had a blood draw once every hour for three hours.... so four blood draws total (and I am a NOT a fan of needles). Some side effects I experienced during my 3 hr lab include.. nausea, diarrhea, and a major sugar crash. I left the lab at about 11:30 am and headed to the grocery store (still hadn't eaten anything) where I developed cold sweats and shaky muscles.... sooo my advice to you is to pack a snack for immediately after your lab because you're gonna feel funky. Also if you are working, I highly recommend taking the day off, I went home and slept all afternoon and woke up feeling MUCH better.

A few hours later I received a call telling me I passed the 3 hr with flying colors *huge sigh of relief*. Cue the dairy queen blizzards please : )

QFP
  • I just barely passed the 3 hour test - doctor says it's not technically gestational diabetes but that my numbers are high enough to treat it like it is. Goodbye milkshakes and Nutella - see you in June!
  • chiiandhidekichiiandhideki member
    edited March 2016
    So...the doc has the results of my glucose test, but has not reviewed them yet! Come on!!! I need to know!!! I don't like not knowing. Hopefully she/her office will call this afternoon.
  • I took the 1 hour glucose test at 28 weeks.  I went to Labcorp (what my ins. covers). My OB didn't tell me to fast before hand so I ate an egg sandwich and drank just water (I was nervous about drinking anything with caffeine)
    The glucola is freaking gross. I read on the back of it that it tastes better chilled, mine was room temp. About 10-20 min after drinking it I felt extremely anxious, I had to keep moving my legs and switching positions in my chair. 
    The feeling passed about half way in. By the time I had my blood drawn (which was luckily easy), I felt fine. I passed my glucose test thank god.

• Question!
    Have any of you done the long glucose test yet? I'm wondering if they actually draw a vial of blood for each hour or do they just do a finger prick? Just asking because I have a feeling I'll have to take the long test and for my challenge they couldn't get a good vein and ended up just pricking my finger, which wasn't so bad for this needle phobic.
  • VikingGirl12VikingGirl12 member
    edited March 2016
    Question!
    Have any of you done the long glucose test yet? I'm wondering if they actually draw a vial of blood for each hour or do they just do a finger prick? Just asking because I have a feeling I'll have to take the long test and for my challenge they couldn't get a good vein and ended up just pricking my finger, which wasn't so bad for this needle phobic.
    The last time I did my 3 hour they did a vial of blood after each hour. They had difficultly getting a vein on me too and had to stick me in the same spot each time except for once on the back of my hand.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker