Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby doesn't want food

my daughter is 8 months today and doesn't take baby food hardly at all. Usually just a few bites at a time. She had ate pretty well and the regressed for some reason. Normal? Will she decide to eat food better down the road some day?!

Re: Baby doesn't want food

• What do you give her? Purees? Finger foods? She may be bored with purees or not ready for finger foods. I'd say it's still in the realm of normal, as long as she's still drinking enough milk. They're still learning about solids at 8 months (esp if you didn't introduce them until 6 months).
  • What do you give her? Purees? Finger foods? She may be bored with purees or not ready for finger foods. I'd say it's still in the realm of normal, as long as she's still drinking enough milk. They're still learning about solids at 8 months (esp if you didn't introduce them until 6 months).

This. Give it time and keep trying.
  • Loading the player...
  • All of the above. Her gag reflex seems to be pretty strong too. Any food that has a chunk in it she totally gags on. Even if on the tip of her tongue. She would eat paper and the mail if I let her though! 
  • I wouldn't worry about it at all. Before 1year of age their nutritional requirements will come from breastmilk or formula and any food is "just for fun"; meaning it's just meant to introduce them to textures, flavours, tongue movement, etc. It's very common for babies to go through phases of liking certain foods, to not accepting foods, to wanting utensils, to hating utensils, etc. Just keep offering the option but don't stress yourself out or push it if LO is not ready for it on a particular day. 
  • My LO is the same way and I talked to his Pediatrician who told me that even if he's that way up to a year, as long as he is drinking enough milk and growing then there is nothing to be worried about and to just keep experimenting with him and food. It made me feel better because my sister-in-law's kid was super into solids when she was my LO's age and I was worried he was sick or something. Turns out a lot of babies are ok not having a lot of solids. Just follow your LO's lead and she'll get more interested in solids as she gets older.
  • My oldest was like this and she did not really begin eating until close to 9/10 months.  Just keep trying.  Your daughter may be more interested in your food.  My daughter did better when we just started giving her food that we had off our plates that was easy for her to pick up and eat.  Just keep trying a variety of textures.  She'll get there!
  • I would try something different. If you're giving baby food jars I would try a fresh pureed vegetable like a sweet potato. I have a younger cousin who refused all baby food but would eat fresh purees. On the flip side I have a coworker who's baby won't eat any veggie except from jarred baby food at a year. Like everyone says nutrition is mostly from breastmilk/formula at this point so I wouldn't worry. 
  • I'm so glad I just came across this thread. I posted in my BMB's FB group about this just a couple hours ago. Good responses there and here. 

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I gave up on the purees except for the fruity ones with grains. My LO started gagging and refusing them. Gave her chopped up chicken and she loved it
  • some days my son crushes a jar or more 3 times a day, sometimes he only eats a bite or two. I noticed he slows down right before he gets a new tooth
  • shaley29 said:
    I gave up on the purees except for the fruity ones with grains. My LO started gagging and refusing them. Gave her chopped up chicken and she loved it
    My 8 month old seems the same way. He will eat anything he can put in his own mouth but hates when I try to feed him. He seems to just want to do it himself! I even gave him little bits of salmon, chunks of soft cheese, anything soft enough he can suck on and he is great! (He also loves gnawing on green beans, cucumber, etc even if he can't actually eat it.)
  • My first baby LOVED like literally every puree I put in front of him.  Then my second came along and he hated EVERYTHING!  He'd eat a little for my dh, but NEVER me.  I knew I was holding out and he wanted breast milk, not food.  It stressed me out.  I worried so much.  BUT breastmilk was all he really needed and he did fine.  He never actually ever had or like purees ever.  He just held out until he was able to feed himself bits of real people food.  I think he was 10 or 11 months before he ever liked food. 

Really, this is SO normal.  Don't worry, don't stress, just offer from time to time, but never pressure and he'll be just fine!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Don't stress, mama! Food before one is just for fun! My son could chow an entire jar of baby food in minutes at this age, but my daughter hates purrees. Instead of purrees, we've been giving her little bits of whatever we are eating. If it's something she can't have, I still sit her at the table just to get her into the habit, but I'll give her a few Cheerios or some fruit in her mesh feeder, but I don't go out of my way to make something entirely different for her.  Just keep trying and introducing new textures. She'll get the hang of it! 
  • My LO started solids at 6 months old and loved them. Recently - 8 months old he has been taking maybe 1-2 bits of the purees I make at home and then after that hes done..and doesn't want anything to do with them or he takes 1 and gags. I guess today he gagged and puked during lunch at daycare today on greenbean puree.  I have noticed though, if i put chunks of avocado or banana or puffs in front of him he will devoir those and want more. I am going to try some more finger foods...maybe he is over the purees? Has anyone had this experience with their little ones... dismissing purees and preferring self-feeding finger foods at this age?