High-Risk Pregnancy

Braxton Hicks with an already short cervix...

Kelly_12Kelly_12 member
edited March 2016 in High-Risk Pregnancy
So I am high risk this time around as I went into labour at 33 weeks with my first and had him at 34w0d. I was having what I thought to be braxton hicks, turns out it was real labour and I went to the hospital and was already 3cm dilated and fully effaced. (I had been having braxton hicks on and off for weeks before, and they felt no different, just were more regular in the few days before I went to the hospital finally at 33 weeks)

So this time around, my cervix is already measuring short, first ultrasound 2.8cm, second at 19 weeks 2.6cm, and I have another one booked in 2 weeks. I'm 21 weeks right now. My OB said if I'm having any cramping or pain to go to the hospital and get checked, other than that I'm on taking it easy restrictions, no exercise, no sex, nothing strenuous and taking progesterone.

Last week I thought I felt a couple braxton hicks randomly, but I wasn't sure, I couldn't remember if that's what they felt like or if baby was just pushing out on me weird and it was tightening. Over the course of this weekend I've decided I'm definitely having them. Very rarely, like a couple over the course of an hour and then nothing for the rest of the day. But that's gone on all weekend, been happening on an off for the last hour again.

I'm nervous... I KNOW these are BH, they are just a general tightening of my uterus and lasts for like 10-30seconds and then it's gone, doesn't hurt, just an obvious tightening up of things. I am going to call my OB tomorrow just to give her the heads up, but I know she said - go to the hospital if you're feeling pain, cramping etc. So I'm just nervous to do the right thing this time :sweat: 

Advice from any others with experience? I know BH are normal and a part of being pregnant, but I'm scared of having them this time as clearly they turned into labour the last time and I didn't know.... being pregnant can be so stressful!!!

Re: Braxton Hicks with an already short cervix...

• Hi there! First off I'm sorry your going through this and I understand how stressful it can be. I don't have much advice but I can share my story as we are in a similar situation! 
    at 28 I was having a lot of 'Braxton hicks' and got a little nervous and they were extremely regular (about every 5 minutes) so I went up to the hospital and they were actually real labor contractions and were every 2 minutes apart! I was unbelievably shocked because they didn't overly hurt! 
    I was given the steroid injections and medication to help calm my uterus and was on hospital bedrest for a week until the contractions finally stopped and my cervix was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced. They sent me home and everything was okay. 

Now im just about 32 weeks, having steady contractions all day long about every 15 minutes, lower back pain and everyday I'm ready to grab my hospital bag and go in. 
    I had an appointment yesterday and I was positive he was going to say I had to stay in the hopsital, but my cervix is still the same! It's unreal... I don't know why my body is having all these contractions but my cervix is refusing to change. 
    Next time you go see your doctor ask at what point you should be concerned, because if your having them but your cervix isn't changing, it is more of an annoyance than a concern. Try taking warm baths and drink lots of water, sometimes I find that helps settle them down and helps me decide if it's the real deal or not. 
    Good luck and I hope we can both make it to full term!! 
  • thank you for your reply! It is nice to hear someone going through the same thing!!

I did end up going to the hospital on Monday this week to get checked, it was my OB on call so she was there and said I did the right thing going in. They hooked me up to the monitors and confirmed I was definitely having contraction like movement, but with the ultrasound it showed no change to my cervix at this point. She said I'm just going to have to use my judgment, if they get stronger or more frequent to go back. It's just going to be a very stressful next couple of months I think!

I don't really know how to cope with the stress... its hard, to think it's kind of all on me to just 'know'. And the first time I didn't know, when I finally went in to the hospital I was 3cm dilated and fully effaced. So hoping this time I will know, but already stressing that I don't... the contractions continued all day Tuesday as well, so far nothing really today which is good. But I think every time I get them I'm going to be a ball of nerves. :S

Goodluck with the rest of your pregnancy too @kwrightnb you've given me hope that even though they're happening, I can still manage to keep cooking for a long time! :