2nd Trimester

Stretch marks

ashcleyashcley member
edited March 2016 in 2nd Trimester
hi I was wondering if any of you have gotten stretch marks during your second trimester? And if you have can you describe what they looked like when they started.. I have not been itching and have been moisturizing but I found something that looks like a tiny cut on the front of my stomach and now I'm getting worried I'm not doing enough to stop them. As we are in Alaska the weather is very dry and the water quality isn't great. Also with that said I'm limited on what I can buy that doesn't need to be ordered.

Re: Stretch marks

• There isn't really anything you can do to stop them. It's all genetics and depends on how elastic your skin is. Some women don't get any, some don't get them until very late in pregnancy, and some get them early. I personally started getting them at about 16 weeks. 
  • I don't have full on stretch marks yet but I see a few purplish dots/tiny lines here and there. I can also feel them. I am a FTM at 33 wks and started to notice them around 30 wks. Like PP said its genetics so don't really count on being able to completely avoid them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • No amount of moisturizing will stop them.  Stretch marks occur when the deepest layers of the skin stretch too quickly and tear.  Moisturizers and creams only reach the upper layers so while they may make your skin look great, they aren't going to reach the layer that actually tears.  Keep hydrated and hope stretch marks aren't in your genes, that's the most you can really do.  
  • edited March 2016
    Sgoldberg247 your signature scares me. Is that a burnt marshmallow hat on his head and is he going to bite her belly button?
  • Word.....nothing you can do about it. I went through 40 weeks of my pregnancy without a single mark, then between 40-41 weeks, got them on my belly (around my belly button area), and in my inner thighs. They faded and you could hardly see them before my LO hit a year old. The advice I always got was to stay hydrated, lotion to help with the itching, and to gain weight slowly so your skin has time to adjust to the stretching. But they cannot be prevented 100%. 
    Haha, sorry for our board and our weird siggy challenges, I forget about it since I'm on mobile a lot...definitely a disturbing photo that I don't even want to know the motivations behind, hat or belly button motivations included.
  • No need to worry OP, stretch marks aren't dangerous! Lots of women get them no matter what they do.
  • I have them. Embrace them they will most likely come :) 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Thanks, I know I can't stop them completely but the burning sensation I have where this one started was unbearable.. I have naturally dry skin anyways so im used to the itching but the burning feeling I get where I see the spots is just crazy. Did any of you ladies feel like it was actually tearing your skin?
  • @ashcley no I never had the burning but I get the dry and itchy feeling just because it is so dry here in the winter so I just use a lot of lotion to help combat the itch and that seems to help me. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• ashcley said:
    Thanks, I know I can't stop them completely but the burning sensation I have where this one started was unbearable.. I have naturally dry skin anyways so im used to the itching but the burning feeling I get where I see the spots is just crazy. Did any of you ladies feel like it was actually tearing your skin?
    I kinda get what your saying. I'm 33 wks and sometimes it feels like my tummy will bust open. It goes away after oiling up. I also think it's baby just snuggling in one area. 
  • I recently had a prenatal massage and the therapist told me to use oil on my belly.  She said oil seeps down deeper into the skin compared to lotions.  She said it may not prevent stretch marks but it should provide some relief from the itchiness.
  • ashcley said:
    Thanks, I know I can't stop them completely but the burning sensation I have where this one started was unbearable.. I have naturally dry skin anyways so im used to the itching but the burning feeling I get where I see the spots is just crazy. Did any of you ladies feel like it was actually tearing your skin?
    No....never burned but itched a little.  Every skin is different, but yours doesn't sound abnormal.
    Just keep it hydrated for your own relief.  Tummy Butter or shea butter is good.
  • edited March 2016
    Second the mention of oil over lotion if you want it to get down deeper into your epidermis. I think I understand where you're coming from with the tearing feeling. I feel like that more towards under my breasts though that if I move a certain way or over extend. Best thing is to stay really hydrated to keep the elasticity in your skin really functioning.
  • Oh, you mean my tiger stripes? I earned those.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Well ladies I saw the dermatologist.. They recommend not to use oil at all. They said even baby oil had petroleum in it even if it's not listed.. They directed me to thick hydrating creams and excess water. I guess the petroleum is being studied and can cause issues with the placenta not forming all the villi? ( those branch looking veins).. Anyways thank you all for your advice and hopefully these things stop popping up! 
  • You can use coconut oil. I've been using a mix of organic coconut oil, burts bees oil for moms, and a belly balm by the honest company (not all together of course). 

Odds are are if your getting them already you might continue getting them, sorry to say. Try not to focus too much on them. They are all for a great reason! Good luck and stay hydrated/moisturized!