January 2016 Moms

How long does your 2 month old sleep during the night?

My little girl will be 9 weeks Saturday and the longest stretch she has went so far is 3 1/2 hours during the night. 

Re: How long does your 2 month old sleep during the night?

• She slept for 5 hours the first Time she stayed at her grandmas house during the day. She wouldn't nap at all so she was exhausted and slept from like 9p until 2 am.  But we usually get about 3 -4 hours 
  • We just had our longest stretch last night. It was 3.5 hours and my son is 7 weeks. It seems like there is a wide range of normal around sleep amounts.  
  • Loading the player...
  • He's sleeping from 8:30 to roughly 3:30 most nights. Then back to sleep after eating until 7. 
  • 7-8 hours most nights.  I feel really lucky.
  • Usually 4-5 hours, feed, then 3-4 hours
  • He only slept 2.5-3 hrs at a time until last week (8 weeks old). We started implementing a nighttime routine and ever since his down time varies but he sleeps 4-5 hrs, feed, 3-5 hours. It's been great!!
  • We start bed time routine around 730, she is ideally asleep by 815. Our first wake up is usually around 230, then we are up again around 6 and for the day at 8.

she is the worlds slowest nurser, so when we are up its usually for an hour or so.

• My 11week old has kinda sleep trained himself. 
    He usually goes to sleep about 12am and sleeps straight to 7:30-8:00 

I'd love if he'd go to sleep a tad earlier but, beggars can't be choosers. 

Theres only been a handful of nights he's woke up about 4:30 to eat. 
  • We start our bedtime routine at 7:15 and she is asleep by 8. She usually wakes at 4:45 and since DST around 9:30 for the day. LO is 10 weeks old. We have been fortunate to have such a good sleeper. 
  • My 9 week old usually has a long sleep stretch for her first stretch after putting her to bed, of 5-6 hours. This started about 2 weeks ago when she was 7 weeks. Then nurse and she goes right back to bed for another 2-3 hours. I can then get another 1-2 hour nap for her right after nursing after this 2nd stretch. She just slept 8 hours straight the past 2 days...probably a fluke so I don't want to get used to it! 
  • LO is 9 weeks old. We were moving in the right direction with sleep getting a 5-6 hour stretch followed by a 3-4 hour stretch, but in the last week we seem to have regressed a little. I've been up to feed him 4 times a night for the last 3 nights. I'm hoping this is a brief developmental phase as he seems to be doing some cluster feeding this week and is really needy. Anyone else experience this?
  • When LO was 2 months, he was only doing anywhere between 2 1/2-3 1/2 hour stretches.  He was still eating every 3 hours just about during the day, so he was on that same schedule at night too.  

He just turned 3 mo. today and the last 2 nights he has given us a 5 hour stretch, wakes to eat, and then goes back down for about 2 more hours before he gets into his daily routine. I will say that we've had to soothe with the pacifier a few times last night and the previous night, but DS wants to so badly get his thumb/fingers in his mouth to do the sucking instead.

I think some of it has to do with them being able to go longer in between feedings too.  DS started going 4 hours in between feedings and those were gradually increasing to more times a day and multiple days where he'd do this.  Now, he can go anywhere from 5-6 hours in between feeds and it's because he's sleeping during that time. He was eating 8 times a day, just 2-3 weeks ago and these last few weeks he's been eating 5-6. 
  • dD goes down at about 730/8. Sleeps until usually 4. Eats and goes back to sleep til 7. Plays and eats again. Then 1-1.5 hr nap. Then plays and eats again at 10 followed by nap for 1.5 ish hours. Plays and eats at 1 ish then for a long nap of 3-4 hours. Play and eats and bath. Eats before bed 
  • @Cricket99 Someone on the D15 board posted something similar to what you're experiencing.  There LO is a little older than 9 weeks I believe, when the thread was created, but posters commented on it probably being more of a growth spurt/cluster feeding stage, rather than sleep regression. 
  • failuretoflyfailuretofly member
    edited March 2016
    LO will be 8 weeks on Friday,  technically 2 months on next Tuesday and it would be my DREAM if he would sleep the way you all are describing.  He goes down at 7, is up around 10:30 or 11, then again at 2 or 3 and again at 5 or 6 and is up for the day around 7 or 8 I feel like he is able to sleep longer but wakes up having fart attacks! He doesn't seem to have gas pains just farts a whole bunch then he's so worked up he needs to nurse. Anyone else dealing with this?  Any suggestions? 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My LO is 11weeks exactly and sleeps 5-6 hours through the night. She wakes to feed only once sometimes twice.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• My 7 week old sleeps about 7-9 hours a night depending on how loud we are when we get up in the morning
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • kvacmak said:
    LO will be 8 weeks on Friday,  technically 2 months on next Tuesday and it would be my DREAM if he would sleep the way you all are describing.  He goes down at 7, is up around 10:30 or 11, then again at 2 or 3 and again at 5 or 6 and is up for the day around 7 or 8 I feel like he is able to sleep longer but wakes up having fart attacks! He doesn't seem to have gas pains just farts a whole bunch then he's so worked up he needs to nurse. Anyone else dealing with this?  Any suggestions? 
    My LO is the exact same age as yours and has the same sleep/wakes times too. I would love it if he would sleep longer! The most we've gotten is a 5hr stretch :/ 
  • @Cricket99 yes! My son is 9 weeks today and has been cluster feeding for the last 4 days or so. He's also super cuddly-he really has to be aslee to be ok with me putting him down.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited March 2016
    Our LO (10 weeks tomorrow) takes after us and loves to sleep. Last night she went down at 10 and woke up at 8. Usually it's more like 8/9pm to 6/7am. Very rarely she'll wake up in the middle of the night and when she does its all business: diaper change, bottle, and she's right back to sleep. I worried about waking her up to feed her for a while until I talked to the ped who said to let her sleep. We really lucked out!!!! 

edit added age 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    My little one is usually bedtime routine starting at 7 with bath pjs nursing and rocking ideally asleep by 8 unless it's daylight savings time which is slowly ruining everything lol but then he will sleep until between 2 and 4 and wake to eat. Sometimes after eating he can take an hour to get back down since he wakes wide awake to eat and will sleep until about 630/730 depending on the time. He has slept though the night 8pm-530am a few times but nothing consistent! 
  • At 7 weeks we are pretty much on a schedule of 11-3 then up at 5 and up at 7. So 4/2/2. 
    The past 2 days have been minimal naps during the day, and today he actually slept until 8:30. Never a dull moment. 
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • Don't worry @kaym6 I am in the trenches with you. Our longest stretch was 3.5 hours and that has only happened a few times. 90 minutes to 2.5 hours is pretty much the norm. We start our bedtime routine at 7pm when I put my 2 year old to bed and it often takes until 8 or 830 (sometimes 9!) Until he's asleep for the night. I have a big guy too. Hes 7 weeks now but was almost 12 lbs at 4 weeks. So i was hoping he'd sleep a little longer by now. I am exhausted. It's especially bad because he wants to comfort nurse and won't take a pacifier so my husband really can't help me out there. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @katiedid0907 no pacifiers for this guy either! He refuses for sure he will only settle for a combo of rocking swaying and bouncing which are unacceptable unless im I'm doing them while standing! Lol 
  • He sleeps roughly 10-5 and then back to bed 5:30-7:30. This just started about 1.5 weeks ago. It was out of the blue and I thought it was a fluke but it stuck around! 
  • Mines 8 weeks tomorrow. She was doing 3/3.5 hr stretches but since we put her in her crib a week ago she does 5-6 hr ones. We cant get her to sleep before 10 but the shes put until 3-4am, eats and goes back until 8-9. Were lucky so far. Now if only she would go down earlier..
  • I'm starting to regret asking this question because now I'm jelly of almost all of you lol 
  • danasphillipsdanasphillips member
    edited March 2016
    I'm starting to regret asking this question because now I'm jelly of almost all of you lol 
    Not saying PP's are guilty of this, but sleep is something people often like to brag about (or keep quiet about if they have a bad sleeper) because it's incorrectly assumed that good sleeper = good baby/parenting practices. I guarantee there are just as many women on Thai bird with terrible sleepers- they are probably just too tired to post;)
  • LO has been in the same sleep routine since she was 4 weeks old, and she's now 10 weeks. She goes down at 9:00, and then sleeps until 1:00. She's up for 30 minutes, then goes down until 5:00. I'm up for work at 5:45, and then we're out the door by 6:30. She usually wakes up when I start getting ready, and stays awake until about 7:30. Then she takes a 3 hour nap for whoever is watching her (it depends on the day...different family members throughout the week). On weekends, she does the same routine, but instead of being woken up by me at around 6:00, she sleeps until about 7:00, wakes up to eat, sleeps for another two hours, and is up for the day by 9:00 or 9:30.    
    She's not the best sleeper, but I know other people have it worse. It's crazy how well a person can function on minimal sleep!
  • adcc43adcc43 member
    edited March 2016
    My son is 2 months and 1 week and just started sleeping 6 hours straight at night.  

• AchaeAchae member
    My baby is 7 weeks, the other night he slept for 8 hours and I woke him because I was so engorged. Otherwise he has been giving us a few 5 hour stretches, nurse, then back to sleep for 3 hours. My first is/was an awful sleeper so this is such a nice change. Granted I can't get him to nap anywhere but on me but I'll take it for the sleep!
  • l4rkl4rk member
    My LO is 7 weeks. I go to bed at 9 and at 11 pm, my SO changes her and brings her to me to eat and be swaddled. She then wakes 3-4 hours later, feed, back down for another 1-3, rinse and repeat, then up for the day between 7 and 9. 

Last night she wouldn't really sleep after 3 am. I gave up around 6 and brought her to the living room swing, where she slept for another couple hours (and maybe I fell asleep on the couch...)

Thank god I'm still on mat leave and have an SO who doesn't expect me to do chores or make dinner (we share). I have no idea how working Mamas or even SAHMs do it. 
  • He's sleeping from 8:30 to roughly 3:30 most nights. Then back to sleep after eating until 7. 
    This is almost exactly our schedule 2 months old today.  Some days she goes to 4:30 and then up at 8
  • kaym6 said:
    I'm starting to regret asking this question because now I'm jelly of almost all of you lol 
    Not saying PP's are guilty of this, but sleep is something people often like to brag about (or keep quiet about if they have a bad sleeper) because it's incorrectly assumed that good sleeper = good baby/parenting practices. I guarantee there are just as many women on Thai bird with terrible sleepers- they are probably just too tired to post;)
    I actually hate talking about when my baby sleeps good because I know at least for me it's nothing more than luck when it happens since I have no actual clue what I'm doing! Lol
    Oh ya I just got ours to sleep more then 3 hours and it was luck. Ever night I still get anxiety because I have no idea how long itll take her to go down. Usually its between 10&1030 but it can go until 1am and she finally sleeps. Its pure luck for us. We can do routine all we want and it wont matter. Somehow her crib has made her sleep a bit longer, but again pure luck. And even then some nights she still sleeps only 3 hours at a time. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @WineBaby122 so true! I have done the same thing every night for a while and sometimes he gives me 6 hours and sometimes he gives me 6 minutes. Lol I wish it was as easy as just swaddling or rocking or sticking with the same thing every night! 
  • kvacmak said:
    My LO was doing this around 6-8 weeks too.  I swore he would have been able to sleep longer if he hadn't been dealing with stupid gas pains.  He was also on a similar sleep schedule to yours just a couple of weeks ago.