3rd Trimester

membrane sweep

Did this work for anyone? And if so, how did you know? And how long till it took affect?

Re: membrane sweep

• I had a sweep with my second at exactly 40 weeks. I went into active labor the following evening and baby was born the day after. So 48 hours after my sweep I had baby. I don't know if the sweep jump started labor or not, but if your body is ready I don't think it could hurt to try. If baby isn't ready to come out then it won't work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a sweep at 40+6 and went into labor the next evening. Not sure if it helped or I was just finally ready. It hurt like a mother for me, but seems like it's just uncomfortable for some. I was also very sensitive to cervical checks and only at 1cm, so that could be a factor in the pain level.
  • Loading the player...
  • Jessie42613Jessie42613 member
    edited January 2016
    I had a sweep at 40 + 2 and labor started the next morning

Edit: I was already 3cm
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • I had one at 40 weeks with my third baby. It did not help me go into labor at all.
  • I had two with my first. I ended up with a induction.
  • I had one at 39w 6d and went into labor the next day. I labored for nearly 48 hours and ended up with a c-section. Not sure if the membrane sweep kick started it or not. 
  • Just as a FYI you need to be a wee bit dialated for this to work. I didn't know that when I asked my doc at my 41 week appointment if I could get one. I wasn't dialated even remotely so she couldn't.

They've worked within 48 hours for all my friends who were +40 weeks.
  • I had 3 after 40 weeks. They did nothing. It was just uncomfortable. No pain.
  • With my first pregnancy, I had a sweep done twice. Once at 39 weeks, and once at 40. Didn't work either time.
  • I had it done twice for my second.  One at 39w, didn't work, then one at 40w2d and it worked - I went into labor the next day.  But I stalled at 4cm for hours and had to be given a ton of pitocin to get going again.  I definitely don't want to get it done again.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Seems like we'll never know if these work because it'd always be a post hoc fallacy. So I can't decide if I should do one or not. Kind of want to do anything to get things going, but kind of want to be as comfortable as possible in the days leading up to labor. I've heard these can cause cramping and spotting without leading to labor, which would suck I think. But it'd also suck to not do it if it worked.

I'm on the fence.
  • Seems like we'll never know if these work because it'd always be a post hoc fallacy. So I can't decide if I should do one or not. Kind of want to do anything to get things going, but kind of want to be as comfortable as possible in the days leading up to labor. I've heard these can cause cramping and spotting without leading to labor, which would suck I think. But it'd also suck to not do it if it worked. I'm on the fence.
    I was definitely a little crampy and spotty after having it done, but it wasn't unbearable.  Drink a little water and take a nap, and you'll be set.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • Had it done on a Friday afternoon and went into labor super early Monday morning. Walked about a mile right after it was done, then another 2-3 miles each Saturday and Sunday. I think that helped too.

FWIW, I didn't think the sweep hurt. She had to stick her hand up really far, but it was quick and just mildly uncomfortable for me, especially compared to labor and delivery.
  • I had 1 with ds and dd, didn't work. I've had 2 with this lo...still pregnant.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • With my son, I had two.  The first one was unsuccessful.  The second one, a week later, worked like a charm.  I think there was about 2 hours between the sweep & the initial period-like cramps.
  • I was 3 cm at 38 weeks, and they did a sweep then (GD and pre eclampsia) and it didn't work. Still needed to be induced.
  • I had 5 sweeps between 39w and 40+6. They seemed to cause periods of mild contractions, and I had dilated a little further between sweeps each time, but they didn't kick start active labour. My waters broke as she was performing my 5th sweep and my baby was born 4 hours later!
  • I had a very successful sweep at 40 weeks. I went to the doctor right before lunch. The doctor said that my body was very much ready for labor - 3-4 cm dialated and almost completely effaced. She did the sweep and said that she was pretty sure it would work. It hurt and I had spotting and cramping the rest of the afternoon. Between 4:30 and 5pm that same day, I realized that the cramps were flaring up every 6-8 minutes and labor begun. Was at the hospital by 8pm and DS was born at 1:30 am.

• Lurking from 2nd tri. I had it done twice and nothing happened. It didn't feel great but wasn't that bad.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Lurking from 2nd Tri as well. I had it done at 39 weeks and at 40 weeks, and besides cramping for 24 hours afterwards, nothing happened. I didn't even dilate any further. I was still 1cm (which I was before the membrane sweeps), when I walked into the hospital at 41 weeks to be induced. 
  • Had one done this morning. I can't speak for the success yet, but I didn't find it painful at all. Just very uncomfortable. I was expecting it to feel like the cervical checks but it was much better. I've been feeling a little cramps ever since with a mild discharge

Anniversary

• i got one done on Tuesday (mar.8th) & startes having some little contractions last night that fizzled out in about 3hrs. other than that nothing has happened :( 
  • I had a sweep at 40+5 or so with my first and I started contractions 12 hours later.  And was then in labor for 25 hours.   
  • With my first I had it done and I went into labor that evening. With my second I had it done with no luck two weeks later they induced me. We will see with baby number 3!
  • I had a sweep with my first without warning. They also didn't tell me afterwards. A few days later I went into labor. I was already a few days late.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• meg_2006 said:
    Had one done this morning. I can't speak for the success yet, but I didn't find it painful at all. Just very uncomfortable. I was expecting it to feel like the cervical checks but it was much better. I've been feeling a little cramps ever since with a mild discharge
    Update: a week later, no baby. I had brown tinged discharge for a little over 48 hours.

Anniversary

• kyraaD said:
    i got one done on Tuesday (mar.8th) & startes having some little contractions last night that fizzled out in about 3hrs. other than that nothing has happened :( 
    update: i ended up going into labor Saturday night & popped the little man out on Monday the 14th, right on his due date! i think doing the membrane sweep definitely got the ball rolling for me :)
  • With my second, I had it done on a Friday morning, I started contractions at 9:30 that night, and she was born six hours after that.  The triage nurse at the hospital said it only works on about 30% of people, I guess.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers