August 2015 Moms

Advice Needed!

DH and I have been spinning our wheels on this so I'm putting it to other experienced mama's for fresh perspective. 

My BIL is getting married next month on a nighttime cruise ship 2 hours out of town. He wants us to drive up to stay with he and his fiance the day before the wedding, then on the day of the wedding the ship departs/wedding starts right at DD's bedtime and doesn't return until 11:30pm. Their invitation explicitly asks not to bring children under the age of 10 for this reason. Agreed. However, they want us to bring DD (she'll be 7 months). Once the ship docks at 11:30pm we will travel the 2 hours back home, and be heading straight for the airport for a 5am flight out of state for a family reunion. As you can imagine, I'm very concerned about wreaking this kind of havoc on DD's sleep schedule as she is a scheduled baby and doesn't do well when her naps/feedings/bedtime are thrown off. DH thinks "playing it by ear" and trying to keep her awake for the wedding will work out fine. I think she will be a living terror if not that night, certainly the next day while we're traveling. 

My DH's ideal scenario is to for us all to stay with his brother starting the night before the wedding, then bring her to the wedding and try to keep her distracted and awake for the event. He understandably wants his side of the family to meet her. DH thinks we can bring her stroller and let her sleep in it in or baby wear her in the middle of the reception. He says she does well sleeping through noise. I agree with this during the day but not so much at night. At bedtime, we play soft music for her to fall asleep to and stay quiet in the living room to avoid waking her. 

My ideal scenario would be for us to drive there for the wedding the morning of, and to leave her home in the care of family until we get back that night. That way, she will be in her own bed and her schedule will be adhered to. We will still be able to witness my BIL's wedding and the baby will be well-rested for the following day. 

What would you all do? Really hoping some unbiased opinions will help us out here!

Re: Advice Needed!

• I run a super tight ship when it comes to LOs sleep and schedule. Why? Because he and I are the ones that suffer the most when sleep is trashed. I agree with YOUR plan. DH should be able to make your little ones sleep the priority above anything else. My belief is that babies thrive on a schedule of some sort and expecting them to "play it by ear" isn't exactly fair to them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If this were me and my daughter, I would take her. She sleeps well in her stroller, or if I baby wear, and one late night won't mess her schedule up too much. 
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it really depends on you and your LO. 

My birthday was this past weekend, and both sides of the family scheduled to celebrate it late in the day. (DH's side of the family is big on celebrating everyone's birthday; I had a cookout with my side of the family to make family seeing LO even [we all live in the same town]). We would be getting home about an hour after LO's routine normally starts.  I went with it because I knew what to expect as far as how she would react to LO's messed up schedule. 

But, I was comfortable doing that. You know yourself and your baby best, so I think whatever YOU are most comfortable with is what you should do. 

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would do what you think is best. Keep baby at home with other family who will stick to the schedule and go enjoy the wedding. I would tell them you're doing that to keep an overtired miserable screaming baby from ruining the wedding reception.
  • Thanks guys :) We ultimately decided on a compromise. If his grandmother from Nicaragua books her flight and is definitely coming, we will bring her and I will do my best to suck it up. DH will probably never see his grandmother after this and it will definitely be her only opportunity to meet LO. I can't really argue with that. If that happens, I'll do my best to keep her awake for the ceremony and once it's over I'll take her to the bridal suite 2 decks below and stay with her until we dock at 11:30pm. If Nicaraguan grandma doesn't come, we will leave LO home in the care of family who will keep her on her usual schedule. Either scenario, he agreed that we can drive up the day of the wedding as opposed to the day before. 
    Your responses helped him see that I'm not overreacting or being dramatic-- thanks!