May 2016 Moms
Options

Number of clothes?

How many clothes in each size is everyone prepping for? Laundry is a once a week thing for us being 2 floors away from bedrooms. I find lots of posts online but they're mostly for winter babies... I got lots of 3mo onesies and outfits for my shower, and stupidly removed the tags on my excitement to fill the closet... I only have 2 newborn size outfits, gifted with the tags on. A bunch of 6mo things and just a few things beyond that, all gifts. So where is everyone else at with all this?

Re: Number of clothes?

• Options
    I have been wondering what the right answer is to buy and prep for laundry, because I know not all infants fit in newborn and go right to 3 month clothing. I know I'll probably get some clothes at my shower, but here is what I bought so far and have washed until I assess what else might be needed: 
    newborn - 3 onsies, 1 cap & 1 sleep and play and 1 box newborn size diapers
    3 month - 10 sleep and play outfits, 11 onsies, 3 pairs of pants , 7 outfits, 4 pairs of socks/booties, one pair of shoes and 3 caps and 2 boxes of size 1 diapers
    6 months - 5 or 6 outfits, 7 onsies, 3 sleep and plays, 2 pairs of socks/ booties, 2 pairs of shoes, 3 caps, 2 zip-up fleeces
    9 months - 2 pairs of pjs, 2 or 3 onsies, 2 shirts and a pair of overalls

I also just washed 3 sets of crib sheets and 4 blankets, 3 hooded bath towels, 6 washcloths, 11 burp clothes and some bibs like maybe 5 or 6. I don't know if any of this is not enough or too much, but that's where we are at since I am clueless on this piece.

are any of you getting a lot of newborn size 0 clothes? I bought a few things just to have something to bring to the hospital until I could see his weight and size, but I went crazy on 3 months size since it said that size starts at 8 pounds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KyleeWallerKyleeWaller member
    edited March 2016
    To be honest, I haven't given too much thought to newborn clothing. I found a pack of five newborn Carter's onesies on clearance at Kohl's, and I bought a single newborn sleeper to put in my hospital bag. LO's going home outfit is a size 0-3 (as is her baptism dress), and I imagine she will be in 3 month clothing rather quickly. I was so surprised to see that the 3 month size begins at 8 pounds (I was a 9 pound baby)!

Without looking at LO's dresser, I believe we have something along the lines of...

3 months: 10-15 onesies, 3-4 footie pajamas and 5-6 outfits. 
    6 months: 10 onesies, 5-6 outfits, one special occasion dress and maybe 2-3 pajamas.
    9 months: 0 onesies (oops), 5-6 outfits and 7-8 pairs of pajamas (I happened to hit the clearance+Kohl's cash mother load on these.
    12 months: Raincoat, 1 special occasion dress (looked like it ran small so potentially will be worn closer to 9 months)

We have quite a few socks. Old Navy was selling them for $1/pair so I essentially cleaned them out a couple of weeks back. 

• Options
    I think it's safe to say if you only plan on doing laundry once a week to have at least 14 onesies.  They spit up and poop out of their diapers far too often, and to use 2 onesies a day is a good day :). Otherwise my boys were always in sleepers at home, and an outfit if we left the house.  My 8'6" boy wore 0-3 month right away and didn't wear newborn, whereas my 7'7" son wore newborn for about 3 weeks and switched to 0-3/ 3 months. 
  • Options
    These are all super helpful!! Thank you so much! It seems like we're pretty much right in line with @KyleeWaller @thycapa
  • Options
    Another thought, I hand washed onesies and burp rags in the bathroom sink almost daily. I let them soak with a touch of Honest Co detergent for about a half hour, then quickly hand washed and rinsed them, and hung them on the shower bar. We had about 5 short sleeve onesies and 5 burp rags and that was all we needed. Occasionally at night we put her in a sleeper, but often we just swaddled her in her short sleeve onesie. 
  • Options
    My goal is 15-20 changes of clothing at 3 and 6 months. We have a few random items at larger sizes like 9 & 12 months.
  • Options
    I couldn't even begin to tell you. Is "a lot" a good answer? This kid has quite the closet already... 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    It really depends on how often you want to do laundry and how often you have to change them. DD we could get away with changing her once a day for the most part and my husband does laundry twice a week. But since she was the first girl grandchild everyone went a little crazy with buying her outfits so it was never an issue. 
    Met: 11/2/2004
    Dating: 3/24/2005
    Married: 11/5/2011
    Eleanor Leeann: 5/14/2015
    Baby # 2 Due: 5/17/2016
  • Options
    Really appreciate this thread! Everyone told us not to buy clothes as we would get a ton as gifts but we have actually received surprisingly little in the clothes department. DH and I were just looking at LO's sparse little closet and wondering what we needed to get prepared for his arrival. Guess we'll just HAVE to go buy some cute little baby clothes!   :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I can't seem to stop buying baby clothes, so LO already has a closet of clothes through 6 months and a dresser full, as well as a tote in the basement of 9-12 month clothes
  • Options
    I've wondered myself how many clothes a baby goes through in a day.  I know they go through more than one outfit.  I have a ton of onesies, but I don't think I have enough lol.  I've been hitting up Once Upon A Child like crazy.  They have a rack of onsesies in the back of the store that are a dollar each!

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    If I only did laundry once a week at our house, it would take me a week to get it done. Anyway, I would rather have a few too many outfits to allow for multiple changes per day when needed. Between bottle spills, spit up, potential diaper leaks (or explosions), I don't want to be waiting around for a load of laundry to be done so that I have a clean outfit.

With DD I hardly bought any newborn clothes and she was born at 7 pounds even and stayed in NB sizes for quite a while.  I needed a lot more newborn clothes so we bought some online. I'm doing the same this time around, buying a few newborn things and adding to them if necessary. Some babies skip NB entirely. I do have quite a few 0-3 outfits ready to go. Probably a lot more than we actually "need" but who can say no, right?? 

Now off to do laundry  :D
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I never left the house without at least 2 extra changes of clothes if we were going to be out for a few hours. I would say at least stock up on onesies if you don't want to buy a lot of extra outfits. Babies are messy! 
  • Options
    I think we generally have enough onesies and sleep sacks. What we are lacking is cute outfits. I stocked up on a lot of basics at a consignment sale, but I'll still want some outfits for when we go out places. I've been practicing a LOT of self control every time we go shopping because I just want to buy everything.

I got a few newborn sized clothes, but since my daughter COMPLETELY surprised us by being 10lb 1oz, 22 in I've learned those are things we'll only be buying more of if necessary.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I mean, I'm kind of just going with anything I've been gifted, this time around. They grow so fast, and of course once DS is born I will grab a few adorable outfits if I'm absolutely lacking, but I learned with my first son that they grow out of all of their clothes SO FAST that they often don't even end up wearing them all before they outgrow them. :(

I was a huge fan of the hospital shirts they gave us, because they had that handy hand covering feature that prevented him from scratching his face. So, honestly, it was that and comfy pants for a few weeks. I loved the cute beanies, too.

Personally, I find that babies are all pretty stinkin adorable. So I don't really overly accesorize mine. As long as they are comfy, I'm happy:) & they  *obviously* don't care . 

~~** I Love My Boys <3**~~

• Options
    FTM but my friends and family have told me that 10-15 onsies/sleepers in each size are fine. I thought I could get away with doing laundry less frequently with more outfits, but my SIL told me I'll probably want to run a wash every-other day because it will help clothes stain less and it can get icky sitting around.

With a summer baby I'm just planning on him living in onsies, I have a few pairs of pants but no cutsie outfits  except for a few gifts.  I have a few hats and socks but not sure how much we will use them. I did get some sleep gowns that make for  easy diaper changes without any snaps! 
  • Options
    We have "a lot" of clothes too. Not sure of the exact number. DD#1 was 7lbs 7oz at birth and she was in newborn size for about 4 weeks. 
  • Options
    Just a little perspective on the weight/size of the clothing..... DS was born weighing 8lbs 8Oz and fit in Carters newborn size for a few weeks. It really depends on the shape of the baby. Also 3mo tends to be a lot "boxier" in shape. He also went through MULTIPLE onesies/outfits per day. Blowouts were awful until we found a brand of diaper that actually fit him well. 
  • Options
    It totally depends on both the climate where you live and on the baby. My first was almost 9# so she was only in newborn clothes maybe a week, but my brother's wife had a baby yesterday and he was 5#12oz, so he will be in newborn clothes longer. I would say wash maybe a couple of newborn clothes, and a few more (5-7?) 0-3 month clothes and leave the tags on the rest. Then you can play it by ear and wash them if you need them once you're home from the hospital, or return them for larger sizes or long/short sleeves, etc.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Options
    This is all SUPER helpful!! Thank you all so much! I shall restrain from purchasing any more and focus instead on a few other necessities we still need.
  • Options
    I thought a great suggestion from a friend was to make sure to have baby wear clothes that open in the front for the first 3 months so that it can get that all important skin-to-skin contact :)
    Kimono-style and side snap onesies are ideal for this, but not as easy to find as regular ones, oddly. To wear in the first week or so I got a 3 pack of long sleeve side snap tops in either NB or 0-3 size, to also keep the belly button from getting irritated until it falls off. Gerber brand, I think. 
  • Options
    On the laundry topic... I too do laundry once a week and have been for years. My kids are 8 & 5. I just do several full loads and pile every thing up then fold everything at once while watching a good show. Our basement laundry area isn't convenient.