February 2016 Moms
Options

My first child! HELP!!!

My husband and I just had our first child...YAY!!!! I'm breastfeeding and I read that the longer you breastfeed your period will stay off.  It's week 5 and I'm starting to spot. What's up with that? What should I do?  Does this mean production is slowing down?  Is this my period? HELP!!!

Re: My first child! HELP!!!

• Options
    You are probably still in the middle of postpartum bleeding, which can last as long as 8 weeks. I assume you haven't been bleeding in a while if your mind jumps to it possibly being your period, but PP bleeding can stop and start at random.

• Options
    Sounds like postpartum bleeding. My period didn't start back up for a year with DD1, but I had friends that EBF and it started at 4-6mos, so it's not a sure thing that you won't get it while EBFing. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    It's different for everyone. 
  • Options
    It is different for everyone. I EBF all my children and I got my period 4 weeks after I stopped my pp bleeding each time. 
  • Options
    Slow down there.  It could still be part of your post partum bleed or it could be the beginning of your period.  Either way, it's ok.  I EBF my first and my period came back full force at 4 months.  It's different for everyone.
  • Options
    I was on the mini pill and didn't get my period back until I stopped taking the pill, at a yr postpartum even though I nursed for 2 yrs. Not sure if it was nursing or the pill that kept it away for so long.
  • Options
    I am FFing and I was still spotting on and off around 5 weeks. So it could just be PP bleeding still. With DS1 I also ended up formula feeding and did not get my period until almost 5 months after baby, so it really all depends on your body. Everyone is different. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker