April 2016 Moms

Elective Induction??

I just had my 36 week ultrasound and baby is measuring in the 84%. she's estimated to be 7lbs6oz (I know this can be a little off) but I'm still freaking out a bit. My dr spoke to me about possibly considering an elective induction if she continues to grow at this rate. They want me to have another u/s in 3 weeks to get a better idea. If she reaches the 95% I will most likely need a C-section. DD belly is measuring in the 90% which the dr is a little concerned about being able to vaginally push her out if she gets any bigger.

Im a FTM , does anyone have any similar experiences? 

Re: Elective Induction??

• Loading the player...
  • My first baby came on her due date and weighed 9 lb. 10 oz. She measured big from her 20 week scan on and they fully expected her to be 10 pounds. Neither a cesarean nor an induction were ever discussed. This little one is currently measuring to be about 7 pounds at 34 weeks. My current doctor fully expects this one to weigh around 10 pounds at delivery as well, but induction has never even been discussed other than needing it if I go 2 weeks past my due date. I agree with PP that I would hold off if I were you.  
  • NMortNMort member
    My second baby was four days passed due and weighed 10lbs 2oz at birth. They were expecting him to be big, but no one figured he'd be that big! Induction was not an option as the hospital wouldn't allow it without a "real" reason (believe me, I tried as I had been induced with my first without any complications). Anyway, I had him vaginally with minor tearing and zero complications. You'll be fine...your body was made to do this! Good luck!
  • I'm planning on waiting for my due date and hoping she comes early but realistically know for my first she most likely won't. We spoke about the induction being elective and an option to consider if LO continues to grow at this rate or hits the 95% sooner than my EDD

My dr said she's seen woman sneeze out a 10lb baby and others who need a C-section for a 6lb baby. My biggest fear is laboring for a long time and then having to have a c section because she gets stuck or can't fit through the birth canal. 
  • My dd was a week overdue and 10lbs exactly. I was measuring 3-4weeks ahead from 20 weeks on so  it wasn't really a surprise. My labor was short and sweet, just under 4hrs from first contraction at home to delivery at the hospital. And she was out in 3 pushes, and I didn't tear much at all, one or two stitches maybe. With my son I induced and he was only 7lbs 10oz and he didn't come out quite as easy, not terrible, but definitely not as easy and I tore more. From talking to friends and based on my experience(obviously nothing but opinions) bigger babies have easier deliveries and are quicker to latch and eat when breastfeeding.
    Married DH 2008
    DS-Born 2/2011
    DD-Born 5/2013
    DD- Born 4/2016
    Baby #4 Due November 2017! 

• I would also wait. Ultrasounds are notoriously incorrect and I, personally, would question a care provider trying to push me into unnecessary procedures. There's a decent chance your LO only weighs 5 1/2 lbs. Baby's brain and lungs continue to develop and often, baby knows his or her own schedule WAY better than anyone else. Also, I've been told countless times by my sisters who have several kids each that larger babies are actually easier to push. What matters is not the size of the baby but how your pelvis separates during delivery, which you can't know until you're there. 
    Obviously, the choice is yours. I just know that personally, I would not sign the eviction notice for fear of having a big baby and I'm fairly small-statured. If it were to become medically necessary, I would induce or have a c section in a heartbeat. 
  • Is there another factor that suggests you'll have a difficult time pushing? A narrow pelvis, GD, or anything? Women easily birth 10# babies all the time, and weight estimates via US are notoriously unreliable. Elective inductions are definitely not best practice anymore and they usually won't do them without medical necessity - projected size is not a medical necessity IMO.

That being said, over 5 years ago, I was 'electively' induced 4 days early with DS due to nearly disabling pelvic pain. It had nothing to do with possible big size (he was 8#4). I was more than favorable tho at 4cm and 100% effaced. Your reaction to the induction process largely depends on how ready your body is anyway. My experience wasn't bad, but I don't particularly want to do it again. 
  • Definitely wait it out. The other moms pretty much hit the nail on the head. I have seen too many "perfect storm" inductions where they try to get baby out a bit early because they think he's big, mama is miserable because of the induction process (which can be significantly rougher than natural labor), get to the point of pushing and it's just too much (exhaustion or baby isn't tolerating it after the stress of induction), then ending up with a c- section and a 7lb baby and lots of regrets. 

Don't get me wrong. The science behind induction is GREAT... just when medically necessary though.

The end of pregnancy is stressful and those guesses aren't great. I had weekly ultrasounds with my first at the end and they estimated her near 10 lbs the day before she was born. She was 7 lbs 0.7oz. 
  • I haven't had an ultrasound at my OBs office since the 20 week anatomy scan. I had an elective 3d scan at a boutique place at 31 weeks though, but they didn't measure him. I don't get anymore ultrasounds at my OB, so I'm assuming they are even concerned about his size. Maybe they don't do late scans because the estimates can be so far off? Since my Dr hasn't brought it up, I am not going to worry about it. Im a ftm though so no actual experience, just sharing a different perspective.
  • Yep I pushed for two hours with a 6 pounder and they started discussing a c section if I couldn't get her out. My friend who is way smaller than me birthed a 9.5 lb baby in 5 minutes and was grocery shopping the next day! You just don't know and size of baby does not necessarily correlate with your ability to have a successful delivery. Give it time and good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Wait it out....all my babies have been 9+ pounds, and I've had them all vaginally with just a little tearing. You can do this! 
  • loveymay said:
    I haven't had an ultrasound at my OBs office since the 20 week anatomy scan. I had an elective 3d scan at a boutique place at 31 weeks though, but they didn't measure him. I don't get anymore ultrasounds at my OB, so I'm assuming they are even concerned about his size. Maybe they don't do late scans because the estimates can be so far off? Since my Dr hasn't brought it up, I am not going to worry about it. Im a ftm though so no actual experience, just sharing a different perspective.
    Same here. I'm pretty sure my OB won't even make guesses. They tend to be pretty conservative in their practices, and really push for a more natural birth, if at all possible. Only thing they do different than what I have heard on here is that they induce before 42 weeks, since they believe the placenta is only "good" to about 41 weeks. Outside of that, they say to wait and let your body do what it does.
  • I would wait it out and attempt a vaginal delivery. My last guy was born at 9.3 lbs,first two boys were 7.6 lbs and 6.1 lbs so it was my body's first experience with a "big" baby. He started measuring big around 32 weeks and at my ultrasound the day before he was born, they guessed his weight at 8.4, ha.

My OB did discuss the possible need for a c-section just to prepare me for any outcome. I wanted to see what my body could do. I delivered fine with a 2nd degree internal tear and the recovery was much easier than my previous 1st degree labial tears. Once you are actually in labor, your medical team should be able to tell if there will be an issue with delivery. IE: once your water breaks, baby still doesn't drop down like expected (possibility baby doesn't fit) or your labor stalls without progress. Then maybe discuss a c-section at that point, but those scenarios don't even mean a guaranteed section.

I understand your fear. The first time Nolan being large was mentioned, I cried, and cried and cried some more. I was terrified after only delivering "normal" sized babies before. But seriously, our bodies are amazing and  you may be shocked as to what yours can do :-) But if not, the decision can be made with more knowledge once you and your medical team see how your body and baby are handling everything.
    Me & DH - 2009
    Gone but not forgotten: Identical twin boys born at 23 weeks - 2004 
    DS1 - 2010
    DS2 - 2012
    DS3 - 2014
    Surprise # 4 due April 2016!! It's a GIRL.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • cmjenkies said:
    Is there another factor that suggests you'll have a difficult time pushing? A narrow pelvis, GD, or anything? Women easily birth 10# babies all the time, and weight estimates via US are notoriously unreliable. Elective inductions are definitely not best practice anymore and they usually won't do them without medical necessity - projected size is not a medical necessity IMO.

That being said, over 5 years ago, I was 'electively' induced 4 days early with DS due to nearly disabling pelvic pain. It had nothing to do with possible big size (he was 8#4). I was more than favorable tho at 4cm and 100% effaced. Your reaction to the induction process largely depends on how ready your body is anyway. My experience wasn't bad, but I don't particularly want to do it again. 
    At the moment there's nothing suggesting that I'll have difficulty pushing her out. An elective induction is definitely not something that I had in mind and I want to go naturally on my own when DD is ready. I had false contractions a week ago which my dr said is a good sign that my body is preparing itself for delivery. 

My dr is in no way pushing me to do it and was telling me what my options will be in a couple of weeks if my next u/s in 3 weeks is with her still being this big. I'm hoping to go into labor and have her before, unlikely I know. My practice does an 8 week, 20 week and 36 week u/s and they're making me do another at 38 only due to baby looking large. She's measured a week ahead according to the apps (I know those aren't 100% either) and my dr hasn't changed the due date because it's just an estimate and doesn't want me getting caught up on the date but more so when baby is ready. 

My BP has been good, and even though I've had swelling there hasn't been any protein in my urine, headaches or blurry vision to indicate Pre-e and I don't have GD. A few of my friends had to be induced, one because she had GD so her Dr induced her on her due date another was induced because she was a week late. My friend with GD labored for 30hrs and then had to have a section because the baby's shoulders were too broad to make it through, her son was just under 10lbs and only an oz off of what the dr estimated. My friend who was late and was induced pushed 2x and he was out, it was also her 2nd child. 

After reading all of your stories and experiences, i'm going to wait for DD to be ready and come at her own time. My biggest fear throughout this whole pregnancy has been giving birth to a large baby even though I know this is what our bodies are made to do. 

Thanks for all of your insight and advice! 
  • Yep I pushed for two hours with a 6 pounder and they started discussing a c section if I couldn't get her out. My friend who is way smaller than me birthed a 9.5 lb baby in 5 minutes and was grocery shopping the next day! You just don't know and size of baby does not necessarily correlate with your ability to have a successful delivery. Give it time and good luck!
    This was me too...2 hours of pushing for a week overdue, not even 7# LO. I would wait it out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd wait. My DS measured 9-10lbs at my last sizing scan. I was induced ON my due date because they knew he was big and my BP was really high, bordering on pre-e. He was 9lb 3oz 22.5", 90s percentile for weight, height, and head, and I pushed him out in an hour after 12 hours of laboring. Baby size does not have to determine whether or not delivery is vaginal!

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• I was induced with my 1st at 38 weeks (pre-e and GD), he was 6lbs04oz and I tore like crazy. This time I asked her to be induced early because I don't want to tear again. I'm scheduled to be induced at 39w1d. I liked knowing when he was coming and didn't have to worry about my water breaking at work. I guess I just imagine waiting a dramatic OMG MY WATER BROKE kind of experience. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would wait, too. Being induced is the worst. That being said, because of my blood clotting disorder, I'll probably end up being induced this time. Not really looking forward to it.  
  • I'm already making bets with people that I'll likely have to be induced again... The list for WHY keeps growing on a daily basis, but I'm too new with this hospital to know what's actually going to happen. I've only seen a doctor once, and my next appointment isn't until next week. 

My ILs are betting that I'm not going to be induced but give birth at the end of March. My BFF changed her mind and now says Easter baby, either because LO comes on his own or by induction.

DH thinks I won't be induced and go late March/early April.

My gut feeling is 38/39 weeks. Induced, because of whatever medical reason I have on my stupid chart.

If I could have things my way, I would be in bed rest but not be induced. 

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Agree with what everyone else has said... good luck! Everything will work out!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016