January 2016 Moms

Newborns and the sun...

Hi, Mommas! For those of you who have taken your LO's into the sun for more than short little walks, what have you done to protect baby? My family is going beach camping next week for Spring Break, and I'm kind of panicking at how I'm going to sit on the beach with my baby and keep her skin adequately protected. I know the recommendation is not to put sunscreen on babies until they're older than six months, so that option is out. I plan on sitting under an umbrella the entire time, but sun is still able to get through those things. I'm also going to buy her a hat and sunglasses, and try to keep her as covered as possible. But my fear is that she'll become overheated. It's been unseasonably warm in SoCal. So, what have you all done?? Part of me wants to just skip the trip...but then the other part of me is looking forward to the vacation! This is a family tradition, and I would hate to miss out on it. My sisters have all taken their babies (from the time they were newborns) and done fine. But they also used sunscreen, and I don't really want to. But I'm the worrier in the family. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Newborns and the sun...

• I haven't had to worry about this yet, but, don't let your worry about the sun let you automatically consider skipping the trip. I'm sure there are ways to safely enjoy the beach with your LO and family. Regarding sunscreen, temperature, and being outdoors, I would refer those questions to a pediatrician, if it were me, and then make a decision based on that information.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You could look into SPF clothing, that would cover the lack of sunscreen for the most part. We did that for our toddler last summer and it worked very well. We did use sunscreen on the exposed parts, but if you are under an umbrella too, it should be fine. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • These are awesome! It allows for a breeze and keeps the sun off baby (and me because my skin is so fair). I don't have a picture of ours, but I found this on the internet :smile: 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • I put sunscreen on my first when he was about 6 weeks and plan to this time and she will be about 10 weeks.  I cover them as much as possible but I figure  He sunscreen is not as bad as sunburn.  I use a mineral sunscreen if that helps 
  • Currently in Mexico and thought long and hard about how to protect babe on this trip. I bought "think baby" sunscreen after researching and felt it was the best protection with the least chemicals. Even then, however, I preferred not to use it. I bought uv outfits and hats, but they don't cover everything. Yesterday was our first day in the sun and we stayed in the shade the whole day except for walking to and from our room, so I didn't think the sunscreen was necessary, however he still got a touch red through the umbrella and I felt awful!!! I also found despite the breeze and feeling cool myself in the shade and wind, it still seemed he would get to a point where he was unsettled and once we were back in the air conditioned room he was happier, so I guess he was too hot.

So today we did sunscreen, AND uv outfit, AND shade, and spent a very limited time outdoors. We plan to venture out again in the early evening. Do what works for you, this is just what we're trying!
  • Thanks for the responses, ladies. @EmmyMommy123 what "uv outfits" did you buy? I can't seem to find anything that is smaller than 6 months!
  • @cyanope I found some online but they were $$, ended up getting some old navy, Gap, joe fresh at once upon a child (second hand). I remember seeing specifically old navy having uv outfits brand new last time I was there!
  • 2winterbabies2winterbabies member
    edited March 2016
    These are awesome! It allows for a breeze and keeps the sun off baby (and me because my skin is so fair). I don't have a picture of ours, but I found this on the internet :smile: 
    If you could zip the front part too it would be perfect. Kind of worried about sand getting into baby's eyes too. Living in a warmer area at one point apply sunscreen ahead of time so it can absorb. One piece swimsuit, hat, sunglasses are a must. Bring the stroller and leave it in your car just in case you take a stroll or need your hands free. As long as you have a covered area to keep baby cool she should be ok but don't keep your LO out for hours at a time. Take her inside somewhere to cool off so she doesn't get overheated. 
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• Zulily has SPF outfits on sale for babies today, you probably wouldn't have it in time for your trip though :neutral: 
  • I'm in SoCal and babe gets a few mins of sun each day. With an umbrella, hat and clothes you should be fine ;) definitely go have fun!
  • My pediatrician actually recommended that we start using baby sunscreen when we are outside with him (he's 10 weeks...she suggested this at our 2 mo appointment).  Based on her suggestion, I would assume that using sunscreen is ok.
  • I'm going to buy a UVA/UVB shade tent similar to what was posted above. My stroller also has a UVA/UVB 50 sunshade so that's plenty for walks and normal periods of time outside.