Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Pumping in 1st month?

For any Moms who introduced their LO to a bottle (or 2) in the first month, how much did you pump/start them on? I would love to have enough for DH to take on a couple of night shifts. She usually nurses about 10-15 min a side.

Re: Pumping in 1st month?

• Options
    Maybe try the BF'ing board?
  • Options
    DD drank 1-2 oz a feeding the first month when she was exclusively bottle fed. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    About 1-2 ounces a feeding. I started by pumping after breastfeeding sessions that seemed short or when LO feel asleep during.
  • Options
    I started pumping very early. I would pump the side that LO  did not eat from. At 1 month my LO was taking around 3oz.
  • Options
    I've started pumping during DD's naps. She can sometimes sleep 4 hours straight during the day so I pump to keep up my supply and have milk available for DH to help feed her. She's going to daycare at 12 weeks old so we were told to introduce the bottle at 3 weeks so she wouldn't have issues transitioning back and forth. 
  • Options
    Supply is usually highest in the morning so with my kids I've always just pumped after the morning feeding to get my freezer stash going. 
  • Options
    Ditto @2-Step it's easiest to pump after the first morning feeding. Paige has had a couple bottles (3 weeks old now) and takes between 2 and 2 1/2 oz.

• Options
    I was pumping after every nursing session during the first month due to baby's inefficiency caused by her tongue tie.  I would supplement after nursing with about an ounce of pumped breast milk.  So, I'd say she was probably getting 1.5-2 ounces of breast milk per feeding.
  • Options
    I pump a 2oz bottle for DH to take over the night feeding on the weekends.  This gets me a whole 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep!!  DD is only 3 weeks, so not sure how long the 2oz will be enough though. .
  • Options
    We switched to pumping & bottle feeding through the day and bf at night when LO was 3 weeks. He started out with 2oz and that's jumped to 3.5oz over the course of a week. He stays fuller longer as long as we interrupt his bottles for burp sessions, otherwise he can top-off and spit up a bit.