March 2016 Moms

Preemie tips?? Was a May mom but baby came early

Originl due date was May 17 but due to stress on baby from preeclampsia symptoms we started inducing but that caused more stress so we did a c-section on 3/1. 
Baby weighs 2.4 lbs and will be in the NICU for weeks so I am looking for any tips from moms who have or are going through a similar situation. Thanks! 

Re: Preemie tips?? Was a May mom but baby came early

• I don't have any advice but just wanted to say I'll be thinking of you and your LO! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Lurking from May 16
    I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say im so glad u and LO are OK and please keep us posted on how LO is doing :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Lurking from April- I am currently on bedrest with twins and have been looking at the High Risk Pregnancy board. You might find more mamas with early arrivals over there for advice. Best of luck!
  • Kdebeshce4, thanks I will check it out! 
  • Glad to hear you both are ok. I was only 3 weeks early but LO is low birth weight and in the NICU. 

Stock up on preemie clothes. She was only in the NICU a few days and we were scrambling for clothes to fit her once she came home. The NICU was kind enough to give us a few items people had donated but it's a lot harder to find preemie stuff than you would think. Slim pickings at target, babies r us, carters and nothing at Walmart. She's weighing 5 lbs 13 oz now and newborn clothes are still too big. But preemie clothes are too short for her length. I can't believe how few options there are for preemie clothes. 

We also needed to get preemie diapers- also a little hard to find. Target had none, ended up buying at Walmart and babies r us. 

I know the NICU can be nerve racking. DH and I said every day we'd rather have her there off the bat than take her home and have to take her back. Our nurses were amazing and so helpful and informative. 

Ask friends ans and family for help. You're healing and you're going to want to be at the NICU as much as possible. Taking care of yourself is an afterthought. Let them drop off dinners and help around the house so you can spend time with LO. I had a c-section too. Just don't over do it while you're healing. I know it's hard but you'll be no good to her if you feel like junk. 
  • KBENADUMKBENADUM member
    edited March 2016
    Welcome baby! I know it sucks you didnt get to enjoy a full pregnancy, both my babies had to come early. My first baby at 32 weeks cause of PIH and HELLPS. My second, who was born in Dec, was 26 weeker who came cause of growth restriction issues (placental issues). As you've probably already experienced in just this first week, this is going to be a roller coaster ride! You will have excellent days.. and I hate to say it, but there will be rough days. There will be more good than bad, but dont beat yourself up over a rough day. Remember, that baby isn't supposed to be doing ANY of this yet! Most NICU units, although very busy and overwhelming, are very family driven. As soon as I was able to start helping and being a mom to my baby, the nurses got me in doing stuff. I didnt get to hold her for almost 2 weeks, but as soon as I could, they made sure I did as much as possible! Kangaroo cuddles are so beneficial to helping them grow and bond with you, since we didnt get a chance to do it immediately after they were born. If you're pumping, keep going with it! The best thing the baby can get is breastmilk! Its the most easiest to digest on their still growing tummies. I've had a drastic drop in production since starting back to work, but Im keeping up with it, cause its the best for her! And take pictures!! Lots of them!!  We have so many friends and family that wanted updates of the baby, but didnt want to overwhelm us asking everyday. So we started a private Facebook group for everyone to follow. I go on every other day and give the latest updates and post pictures, and they love it!! Its also like a scrapbook cause these early days will seem like a blurr later when baby is home! My last bit of advice, is to take care of yourself! Strong healthy momma equals strong healthy baby! And the healthier they are, the quicker they'll be home!! We're all here to support each other, so if you need to vent or want to share an exciting moment, we're here for you!
  • just wanted say that there is a Preemie board on here too. you might find that more helpful than posting on the March BMB (: 
  • Lurking from May... OP hope everything is going ok? I'm sure the gals in may would love an update. 

cat fail animated GIF

• OP, congrats on your LO!!!

I had DS at 33 weeks, so I understand the stress and trauma of a NICU stay. I only have a few pieces of advice for you.

1. take a million pictures. I was hesitant to take a bunch of pictures because it was to hard seeing all the tubes/ wires/ machines/ etc. I was also irrationally mad that I wasn't going to get all the first cute newborn pictures that you see on instagram. Not taking a bunch of pictures is a huge regret of mine because it is so fun to look back and see how far we have come.

2. If you can, be there when the doctor rounds. Take notes and be ready with questions. Also, if you feel like it would be helpful, ask to speak with a social worker.

3. Do everything the doctors/ nurses allow you to do. Change diapers, change clothes, breast feed, bottle feed, sick to sick. Whatever it is, it will help keep you from feeling useless (like I did.)

4. Treat yourself to some really nice and fancy hand cream. I was literally washing my hands every 45 minutes and my skin started to crack.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• I'm with @yogahh and @tripledaggerWed95976 - sure the other May ladies would love to hear and support you and baby! Please keep us updated :) and best of luck!
  • Same thing you're going through happened to me in December, PM me if you want some one on one advice