January 2016 Moms

Noisy Sleeper?

maureenmcemaureenmce member
edited March 2016 in January 2016 Moms
I'm a FTM, so I'm not sure if this is normal, but I feel like about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time LO sleeps she makes a bunch of noises while sleeping.  We jokingly call them "monster sounds" but today I was wondering if it was something that could be a problem?  They're just little grumbles, grunts, and babbles, but I was wondering if it might be congestion?  She doesn't have a stuffy nose or anything and seems to be breathing just fine, but hi, paranoid FTM and just wanting to make sure this noisy sleeping was normal!  ;)  

Thank you!

*Edited to add that she's a little over 4.5 weeks old, if that makes a difference.  Maybe it's a phase?

Re: Noisy Sleeper?

• It's totally normal, babies are notoriously noisy sleepers! My LO is very noisy at intervals throughout the night. 
  • Ftm as well so i had to ask other moms. Totally normal. And hilarious
  • Loading the player...
  • jessjuhnkejessjuhnke member
    edited March 2016
    FTM as well mine is 6 weeks and he is getting louder and louder. Pediatrician said it's completely normal and that she has many parents who have to move the baby into it's own room just to get some quiet.
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    My baby will be 10 weeks Tuesday and is SO LOUD! He's actually sleeping pretty decent stretches most nights I however am not because he's sooooo loud. Might have to move him to his room earlier than I wanted just so I'm not up constant lol 
  • We moved our son into his own room at 5 weeks to get some sleep. It was a lifesaver. Babies are insanely noisy!!!
  • Oh good!  Thanks for the responses.  Quite relieved to know it's normal (albeit kind of annoying!)  Haha.  :)
  • We call our girls sounds dinasour noises lol. On top of those she has bad gas and when the gas drops wear off in the middle of the night her farts are super epically loud we hear them on the monitor. One suggestion which has helped us is to use white noise machine. It helps to give some background sounds so you don't hear EVERY little crazy baby sound at night. We use Brahms lullaby at night. Which is also good bc she associates the sound to
    bed time. 
  • Sometimes I don't know if it's a baby or a freight train.
  • We move our bassinet out of our room, but I would still wake up to all of our LO's grunting. I now also wear ear plugs to get sleep! I hear her when she gets loud enough to actually need attention. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    Currently awake from my little man grunting up a storm, turns out he was just ever so casually busting out of his swaddle lol now we're up to eat so fun times! 

Also so question, you moms that have moved baby to their own crib in their room or plan to soon do you use a night light in there or sound machine? When he's been in our room we usually have the tv on with no sound and a ceiling fan so when I move him I was thinking ceiling fan on with a night light so it's similar sleeping conditions? Any thoughts? I was thinking of getting a sound machine but didn't know if I should even start using one since he hasn't needed it so far to sleep. 
  • klbhklbh member
    I remember about a week after we brought LO home from the hospital, my husband and I were both lying there sleepless, listening to the baby's symphony of grunts and squeals. SO said, "if a piglet came into the room and started wrestling him, how would we tell?" We settled on, we'd hear its hooves as it approached.

Anyway, he's no quieter now at 5 weeks, and we're thinking about setting him up in his nursery early so I can stop waking up to check on him every 20 minutes when he is fast asleep, just incredibly noisy. 
  • kaym6 said:
    Currently awake from my little man grunting up a storm, turns out he was just ever so casually busting out of his swaddle lol now we're up to eat so fun times! 

Also so question, you moms that have moved baby to their own crib in their room or plan to soon do you use a night light in there or sound machine? When he's been in our room we usually have the tv on with no sound and a ceiling fan so when I move him I was thinking ceiling fan on with a night light so it's similar sleeping conditions? Any thoughts? I was thinking of getting a sound machine but didn't know if I should even start using one since he hasn't needed it so far to sleep. 
    We don't have a TV in our room, but we do have a nightlight so we could see him. I plan to use it in his room also. The nightlight shouldn't hurt his sleep cycle and noise machines are amazing! I began using one and he sleeps much better at night. The noise may help signal it's time for bed which gets more and more important as they get older. 
  • With my son (now 2) we moved him at about 3 weeks because he was so noisy, it helped us make the decision to put this little one straight to her room, and alas she is a noisy one too.
  • Mine is 10 weeks and he's so noisy sometimes. He'll yelp, cry out, grunt, etc. recently he's been making sound as he breathes out - no wheezing but almost sounds like a whimper as he sleeps. It's not all the time but sometimes as he falls in and out of sleep. We think it's a self-soothing thing.
    Vincent 1.1.16 & Daniel 11.6.07
    In Memory of Barbara <3 , beloved mother and grandmother
  • kaym6 said:

I'm anti-noise machine if LO will fall asleep without it. We make her room completely dark when we put her down. I don't want to start a bad habit that I have to deal with forever. I don't wanna lug around a noise machine every time we travel either! But my LO will sleep w/o it so maybe that's easy for me to say. I do believe in "do whatever you need to do to get sleep". 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Yep, totally normal! I have a video of DD2 making noise while sleeping. DH sometimes thinks something is wrong because DD2 changes it up. She's louder than DD1! 
  • My LO was super loud. We put on background noise so DH and I could sleep. She's 11 weeks now and is soooo much quieter! I guess she grew out of it. She naps in the crib, I darken the room like night time, but only put on noise if for some reason it's loud outside. 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    edited March 2016
    I love white noise but my fiancé hates it, so we sleep in the "quiet" at night (and sometimes use white noise during the day.) Somehow he sleeps through all her crazy noises better! But I'm noticing that her sounds don't wake me up as much. Not sure if she's quieter or I'm just desensitized. Maybe a bit of both?
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @claireloSC that's what I was thinking! He has never needed one to sleep and is 10 weeks so I didn't want to start now even though using one seems super common. However you better believe if he wouldn't sleep without one I would be using it as well! Lol maybe I'll try quiet but with a night light so it's similar. I shouldn't have gotten him used to sleeping with the TV on even with no volume but when we brought him home we had no night light and I couldn't see a thing lol oh well he doesn't seem to mind it we do some nights totally dark too and he sleeps the same 
  • My daughter makes a sound similar to that of Lorraine from madtv