Pregnant after a Loss

Acupuncture

Did anyone do acupuncture to help get pregnant and are you still continuing to do it? My acupuncture clinic specializes in TTC and pregnancy, and while I liked going, it is expensive! I'm thinking of only going back once morning sickness gets bad, but I'm wondering if there would be any reason to keep doing it to prevent miscarriage?

Re: Acupuncture

• They say it can help prevent miscarriage, but not if it is because of a chromosomal issue, which I'm told most miscarriages are. I went briefly at the beginning of this pregnancy because I had two previous losses and I was having cramping and cervical pinching/pressure. I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. 

It didn't help my nausea, though. I left there feeling more nauseous because I had gone without food for at least 1.5 hrs. (Drive time + appt) I think some people respond better than others to nausea treatment, so it's worth a try. 

@createillumination would be the best one to answer this. She does it for a living.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• There is a couple of ways you can approach when to go. You might consider going a couple more times to help the baby settle in, it really depends on your chinese medicine diagnosis on what *I* would recommend doing. Some people will need more appointments early on and some won't. If you can ask your practitioner to give you a couple options hopefully they will be able to work with you according to your budget and needs.

The other approach I would recommend is going 1-2x a month. I see my acupuncturist every 3 weeks all year round. I used to have to go 1x a week, then I graduated to every other week and now I am at 3 weeks. Acupuncture really excels as a medicine of prevention but people don't always use it that way. If you do have pregnancy issues you will find much more relief if you have regular appointments then if you come in in crisis. And like @CarrieandRoy said not everyone will get morning sickness relief from acupuncture. Also it's true that acupuncture cannot save a non-viable pregnancy but it can do a lot to save a threatened viable pregnancy. 

The best thing you can do is ask your practitioner and they should be able to work with you. I hope that helps. Congratulations!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you @createillumination. I sent my acupuncture clinic an email with the news to see what they suggest. They really push the Chinese herbs, but I don't feel comfortable taking them during pregnancy. 
  • Absolutely  @chole97 never take or do something you don't feel comfortable with, your practitioner should be 100% ok with that. 
  • @chloe97 .... it won't hurt to be honest too. And basically say u enjoy coming and can tell your body has benefitted and just see if she can work you out a plan that fits your budget. Not saying the services aren't worth full price.... but she may be willing to work you a package plan to ensure you don't end up in a crisis.... which is hard for u and her ;)