Trouble TTC
Options

Fibroids - Feeling kind of down

Hi beautiful ladies,

I got a call from the  facility I am going through for IVF today.  First they were asking when I was going to do my saline sonogram, which I already did.  turns out they were looking in the wrong department :x.  Then I was told I have fibroids in my canal, and they need to be removed.

First of all, I had this saline sonogram done in January, and no one called me to tell me I would need this done before now.  I feel kind of let down by that, but I can understand it.  My worry is that I will not be able to do the March cycle, which I would need to start between March 15-April 7, and I would instead need to wait until the end of May.  I have the added complication of being caregiver to my disabled mom, and my sister was going to come down to help with my mom while I went out of town for the extraction and the IVF.  If I wait until May, I don't know if she will be able to come down, and then I am not quite sure what to do.

Anyone have experience with fibroid removal?  How long after the removal were you able to start stimulation?  What was the recovery like?  I'm feeling very sad now.

TTC since 2011

Re: Fibroids - Feeling kind of down

• Options
    I haven't been through this so I can't speak to the specific questions, but I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I would be upset that no one called either. Try not to get too caught up in the timeline and just focus on what you can control in the immediate future. Good luck!
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • Options
    @starlitfaeI just had a similar conversation with my RE about my fibroids.  I've known they were around for some months but they weren't disturbing anything in the canal so I opted to forgo the myomectomy.  Then the RE wanted to check again after my ER with a saline sonogram.  They said they'd seen a possible polyp that concerned them.  I started trying natural remedies like castor oil packs, goldenseal, and a tea.  A few weeks later when I went back they tried to convince me to have the myomectomy to remove one fibroid.  They tried to make it seem like it was so big and would be better out.  But I said nope.  I noticed that it was smaller than before and they didn't mention any polyp or other fibroids so I see it as positive.  Plus the IVF clinical trial I'm in doesn't require that I not have any fibroids to proceed.  But during the conversation the RE told me it would be two weeks recovery during which time I could not work and three months before I could continue with IVF post-myomectomy if I had chosen that route.  I don't know if the weeks and the months were concurrent and consecutive.  But either way it would be at least three months from what I was told.  I hope that helps.   

Married 09/21/13 * TTC #1 Actively since January 2014
    Me:38 DH: 45, SA Normal
    Diagnosed unexplained infertility
    Nov 7 2014 - HSG
    Nov 30 2014 - BFP
    Dec 15 2014 - MC
    2015 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    2015 - 2 Rounds Femara - BFN
    (1) IUI August '15
    Switched REs
    IVF #1 clinical trial started January '16
    1/31/16: 26 eggs retrieved, 18 fertilized,  9 made it to blast
    2 month break in February/March '16
    FET planned for April/May '16
    FET resulted in BFP May '16
    MC due to Trisomy 7 in June '16
    FET #2 planned for August/September '16
    August 2016 - BFN
    Egg Retrieval October '16
    PGS tested embryos produced 7 normal embryos (4 males/3 females)
    Robotic Myomectomy for removal of Fibroids November '16
    April 7 2017 - Spontaneous BFP

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello. I usually post on the infertity board, but I saw your post and thought I would respond. I have had two myomectomies. For both of them the recovery was about 4 weeks. The doc had to cut into my uterine wall both times, so I had to wait 6 months to TTC after that. Hopefully this won't be the case for you since yours seem to be in the uterine cavity. Another thing, after my surgery I was told I would have to have a c-section for any births due to possible uterine rupture. You may want to ask about that ahead of time. Please message me if you have more questions.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I suck at responding.

It turns out what I had was 1 small polyp, which I had removed friday. Since they were able to get me in so quickly, I can still participate with 6 weeks recovery time between the surgery and the transfer.

@zantster - thankfully this one was small, my dr said it was tiny! But the clinic I am going to for ivf required it not be there. 

@cmm012  thanks for the info! I don't think they had to cut into the uterine wall for this, and it sounds like I am going to have a short recovery period too. As for whether or not I have to have a c-section, that was never mentioned to me, but i would be ok with that if that was the case.

TTC since 2011