November 2016 Moms

Maternity pants

I have always had a really flat stomach (lucky me), which means that I've also always worn tight jeans without any discomfort. Well, enter pregnancy, and less than 5 weeks in I am often so bloated that I can't bear to have my jeans buttoned! I've even been wearing foldover yoga leggings as much as I can. I just ordered one of the bellaband things on Amazon to help, but I'd love to hear from others what they have found works for them in this or previous pregnancies! I've seen these side panel maternity jeans on the Old Navy site too and am contemplating those :)
BabyGaga

Re: Maternity pants

• My favorite brands of maternity pants are Loft and A Pea in the Pod. Underbelly styles were fine in the beginning but by the end I liked the full panel for support. I'm going to check out Old Navy this time around, but I didn't live near one for my last pregnancy. I'm excited to shop again because I gave away a lot of my stuff except my favorite pieces.
    Awesome Kid #1: Born September 2013!
    Awesome Kid #2: Due November 2016!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    edited March 2016
    I'm the same way.  My pants started feeling snug late last week from bloat so my work pants are becoming very uncomfortable to sit in.  I have the side panel pants from Old Navy, as I mentioned earlier today, and they are wonderful. They're stretchy and comfy but don't feel like they're going to fall down. I'm not sure if all Targets carry them, but the one near me sells Bellabands for $16 so I will probably pick some up soon.  I have no idea if my jeans are tight on me yet.  I wear dress pants to work throughout the week and yoga pants or leggings in the evening, so I haven't worn my jeans in probably over a week.  I am also doing the 'hairband trick' with some of my work pants.
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • Loading the player...
  • Gap, old navy, and I just got some Paige ones that seem really nice. You can also pick up a pair of regular pants that are one size bigger than you currently are now. Those will probably fit better post partem too for awhile. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • I'm all over the yoga band leggings and actual yoga pants...and sweat pants right now. I'm okay if I'm standing in jeans but the moment I sit I feel like they're cutting me in half. I'm considering a Bellaband so I don't have to buy too much for the first tri but I feel like all bets are off with twins! I wish Canadian Old Navy sold their maternity stuff online....I impulse bought a couple dresses from the Gap maternity website (yay clearance) but I'm going to have to actually go to Old Navy to find stuff. Ugh. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I bought some pants with a stretchy band but can't bring myself to buy mat pants... Worried I'll jonx this!!! Irrational I know but anyway! I figure mine should last a fair while during pregnancy and beyond. Good luck with your shopping :)
  • I literally have the same issue as you! I am naturally tiny but I am so bloated already. I ordered a bellaband too.
  • Thanks for the hot tip on LOFT! I just bought some really cute skinnies with a roll panel. I'm hoping that it really is a roll panel and I can fold it down while I'm still early. The side panel ones are all sold out in cute washes in my size at ON and I just can't bring myself to spend $70 on them at Gap! I also worry a bit with the side panel ones that they still won't be as comfy as I want since they do have normal jean material in the front.
    BabyGaga
  • vinylrecs said:
    Thanks for the hot tip on LOFT! I just bought some really cute skinnies with a roll panel. I'm hoping that it really is a roll panel and I can fold it down while I'm still early. The side panel ones are all sold out in cute washes in my size at ON and I just can't bring myself to spend $70 on them at Gap! I also worry a bit with the side panel ones that they still won't be as comfy as I want since they do have normal jean material in the front.
    Loft has great sales! And I agree about the side panels. 
    Awesome Kid #1: Born September 2013!
    Awesome Kid #2: Due November 2016!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't care for the jeans material in the front, my bloat like something soft against it. I like the ON below the belly jeans and fold over elastic waist linen pants once spring has sprung (any day now here). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • To hold me over, I used a hair rubber band through the button hole and over the button so I didn't have to button my pants, and then went to the maternity pants which are the most amazing thing ever. I got the full elastic panel because with some shirts you can see the elastic line going across your belly if you get the half panel. It just kind of reminds me of a spanx line or something.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm still in yoga pants from my last pregnancy, lol. Thank God I SAH. I have a couple of maternity trousers with panels that I will wear when I get bigger. I am actually kind of sad i won't be at my most pregnant during the summer months because maternity dresses/maxi dresses are the best!

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• With my first I also did the hair tie trick in the beginning. Once that didn't work anymore I went to Ross and bought a couple pairs of cheap maternity pants and a couple regular maxi skirts that I could wear afterwards as well. That made it much more worth the money. You could also go to a resale shop if you don't mind used clothing. Stock up on tunics; those with a pair of leggings are probably the most comfortable and cute.
  • Right now I'm wearing leggings as much as possible. In previous pregnancies I've used the Bella band and rubber band trick, but I'm very pro full panel maternity pants as soon as needed. When my pants quit fitting, I'm busting out the maternity pants. They're so much more comfortable than regular pants.

TTC Since 6/13
    BFP 1: 6/16/13  EDD: 3/2/14  MMC: 8/26/13
    BFP 2: 11/16/13 EDD: 8/3/14
    Baby Brody born 8/1/14!!!

• I tried the Bella band and hair elastic truck with my first. And then I bought my first pair of maternity pants and was like "why did I wait so long?!" I had good luck at ON and the Gap, and got some sweet hand-me-downs from my SIL. I am already wearing maternity pants today because I've been so sick and tight pants are just not happening right now.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have to admit one of my first thoughts after getting my bfp was "YESSS! Maternity pants!!!" They're the comfiest things ever. I'll probably use the rubber band in the buttonhole and the Bella band for a few weeks but then I'll have no qualms about hitting A Pea In the Pod and getting some comfy pants.
    Me: 38 l DH: 41
    Gavin - 8/27/10
    *TW*
    Gabriel - 2nd tri loss 5/17/16 Trisomy 18 & 21
    Hope -  2nd tri loss 12/7/16 complications from pneumonia

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • So I see we may have a few who are already pulling out the maternity so I'm curious. How many weeks are you and is this your first pregnancy? Second? More?

ive heard you start needing the soon with subsequent pregnancies. With this being pregnancy number 4 I anticipate needing maternity pants sooner than I think LoL. Right now I'm definetelywith y'all on the bloating making me uncomfortable. 
  • There's a code floating around where you can order a free Bella band. It's a different brand but all you have to pay is shipping. 
  • This is my first pregnancy, I'm only 6 weeks and already my jeans are uncomfortably tight. I have a strict dress code at work and luckily my work pants are a bit looser than my jeans but I may try that hair tie trick tomorrow.
  • I'm down to yoga pants and one pair of jeans. And only at 6 weeks. At work they ordered me new uniform, but it's going to take a bit to get here. Might be trying the elastic band to see if I can get another pair of jeans.

Any suggestions on where to get reasonable priced pants? Walmart and Old Navy seem to have removed the maternity sections in Canada. :(
  • mrsjlang said:
    I'm down to yoga pants and one pair of jeans. And only at 6 weeks. At work they ordered me new uniform, but it's going to take a bit to get here. Might be trying the elastic band to see if I can get another pair of jeans.

Any suggestions on where to get reasonable priced pants? Walmart and Old Navy seem to have removed the maternity sections in Canada. :(
    Okay so it's not just here. I bought maternity pants at Old Navy when I was last pregnant at the end of 2014 and I went looking for more but they no longer have maternity and there's nothing on the website. I don't want to have to go spend $80 per pair for pants from Thyme or Motherhood...
    K.

Son, K, 9 | Daughter, C, 5 | Daughter, M, expected November 7, 2016
  • The Bella Band arrived today and it's amazing! Just the Basic one, nothing fancy :)

Does Zulily ship to Canada? They have a lot of affordable maternity stuff!
    BabyGaga
  • Just wanted to say that I am so glad you all posted! I'm also naturally slender, but put on some weight to help get pregnant--so my jeans and work slacks were already on the tight side. At four weeks, the bloating made them IMPOSSIBLE to wear...desperately needed a solution. Just ordered the bellaband and some pants extenders. Thanks all!
  • So I see we may have a few who are already pulling out the maternity so I'm curious. How many weeks are you and is this your first pregnancy? Second? More?

ive heard you start needing the soon with subsequent pregnancies. With this being pregnancy number 4 I anticipate needing maternity pants sooner than I think LoL. Right now I'm definetelywith y'all on the bloating making me uncomfortable. 
    This is my 3rd child. I'm 6 weeks.  I've been very careful about what I eat and sticking to the gym 5 days a week. I plan on wearing a bikini on vacation next week. After that I'll give in to my bloat inducing cravings. 
  • mrsjlang said:
    I'm down to yoga pants and one pair of jeans. And only at 6 weeks. At work they ordered me new uniform, but it's going to take a bit to get here. Might be trying the elastic band to see if I can get another pair of jeans.

Okay so it's not just here. I bought maternity pants at Old Navy when I was last pregnant at the end of 2014 and I went looking for more but they no longer have maternity and there's nothing on the website. I don't want to have to go spend $80 per pair for pants from Thyme or Motherhood...

...stuck in the box...

My ON still has a maternity section (in the GTA), it's small but it's there. I snagged a pair of skinny jeans for $25 today! My jeans currently still fit because they're "super stretch" skinny, but they're high waisted so when I'm sitting, they're way more uncomfortable unbuttoned/unzipped (sexy, I know). Mostly I'm all about leggings and yoga pants. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My ON still has a maternity section (in the GTA), it's small but it's there. I snagged a pair of skinny jeans for $25 today! My jeans currently still fit because they're "super stretch" skinny, but they're high waisted so when I'm sitting, they're way more uncomfortable unbuttoned/unzipped (sexy, I know). Mostly I'm all about leggings and yoga pants. 
    Apparently I got ahead of myself. Our ON (I'm in Hamilton) did still have a maternity section, it was just so small I missed it every time I went there. One wall. They had one pair of pants my size and pretty much no tops besides super thin, skin tight ones. Went to Thyme and their sale stuff wasn't that pricy.
    K.

Son, K, 9 | Daughter, C, 5 | Daughter, M, expected November 7, 2016