1st Trimester

VERY LOW BETA HCG? POSSIBLE ECTOPIC? SUCCESS STORIES??

Hello Ladies! DH and i have been trying for baby #1 for almost a year. i've already had 2 chemical pregnancies in withing this time. i finally got a nice BFP on 07/03/16 on both strip and digital. although the strip test was pretty faint it was the darkest BFP ive ever gotten. i went to see my family doctor and he did a urine test which came back negative. on 08/03/16 i got my beta tested which came back at 60. the doctor seemed very concerned that it might be either ectopic or m/c because the levels were so low. according to my cycle and LMP i would be 6 weeks today!!! my last few cycles were not very regular so i might have ovulated later than usual.. my LMP was 28/01/16. i just got my 2nd beta that was taken on 09/03/16 which came bact at 108, so it almost doubles within 24hours. yet the doctor is very concerned and thinks it is ectopic. any similar stories?? i am so terrified and cannot stop crying! i also started experiencing a little cramp on my lower right side which could also be gas... :'(

Re: VERY LOW BETA HCG? POSSIBLE ECTOPIC? SUCCESS STORIES??

• Mine was 65 on 9dp5dt (14dpo), then 195 on 12 dp5dt (17dpo), then 1072 on 16dp5dt (21dpo). I have seen the baby and the heartbeat two times already (at 5 weeks 6 days and again on 6 weeks 3 days). As long as the numbers are doubling, you should be fine. Have they planned an u/s or do you have a third beta scheduled? 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm just joining this thread because I found out my beta from yesterday (13dpo) was only 10, I just want success stories as well...
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • With my ectopic, the levels raised but never came close to doubling. I will add that it took about 10 days to diagnose, so it may take some time (if that is what it is). They should keep testing you. Have you had a transvaginal ultrasound yet?

Watch out for very severe cramping (trust me, it isn't mild and it is very concentrated on one side). My understanding is that a lot of people have severe shoulder pain at the same time (I didn't, but it is common). 
  • I had 48then 118. I'm not sure why he would test in 24 and not 48. numbers start low. if you didn't temp to confirm ovulation you may not be as far as you think. 
  • I have a pelvic exam and 3rd beta tomorrow morning(11/03/16).  He will check for tenderness in the area of the tubes.  And we will go from there.  I'm surprised  he hasn't referred me to an obgyn yet. 
  • I'm not sure when I ovulated because my last couple cycles were irregular.  DH and I didn't actively try this month and it was a surprise when I got a BFP. And my levels rose from 60 to 108 within a day give or take a few hours. But he still seems concerned that my levels are not in the 1000's for a "6 week pregnancy" :s  
  • I'm not sure when I ovulated because my last couple cycles were irregular.  DH and I didn't actively try this month and it was a surprise when I got a BFP. And my levels rose from 60 to 108 within a day give or take a few hours. But he still seems concerned that my levels are not in the 1000's for a "6 week pregnancy" :s  
    But that is assuming that you ovulated on CD 14. If you ovulated later then your numbers could be fine.
    Also, with every eptopic pregnancy patient I have ever head, their HCG's levels were much higher. Even at 6 weeks, I have had patients with levels in the thousands. 
  • SuperNerd42SuperNerd42 member
    edited March 2016
    I'm also surprised they didn't wait 48 hours to check for doubling. If you have irregular cycles and don't know when you ovulated it can be hard to know. I too have very irregular cycles, but since I was tracking them I knew that I was not nearly as far along as my lmp suggested (off by almost two weeks). My first hcg was 30 at 10 dpo, then 108 at 12dpo, and 280 at 14. Very very low for "6 weeks" but I was really only 4.

i hope your appointment goes well today!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • According to your LMP you're "6 weeks pregnant" but since you obviously didn't ovulate on CD 14 that date is essentially useless for dating purposes.  Try to focus more on the doubling since that is what is most important.  I generally suggest betbase.info to reference hcg numbers, but it may be tricky for you since you don't know your days post ovulation.  Low numbers really don't mean much since you don't actually know when you ovulated.  Keep looking for increasing numbers and watch for the signs of an ectopic (severe 1 sided cramping, shoulder pain, etc).  Hang in there!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Had my 3rd beta and pelvic exam done.  The doctor hasn't noticed any tenderness in the tubal area so that's a good sign. I also have an u/s appointment this afternoon  :#
  • *UPDATE* so i had my u/s appointment. as of right now there was no sign of ectopic pregnancy but also couldnt see an intrauterine pregnancy. the ultrasound tech did mention that i had what she called a "pregnancy cyst" on my right ovary and that is approximately where i experienced a bit of pain, she said its normal. my 3rd BETA came back at 230 so it doubled within 48hours which is good. They have a follow up appointment next friday and i assume i will keep getting u/s untill they see any signs of pregnancy and make sure its not ectopic as they thought. :):)
  • With a beta of 280, there wouldn't be anything to see on an US yet. It sounds like you just O'd later than "normal". Your numbers doubled so that's a great sign. Keeping my FX for you!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• MRSCORKER said:
    With a beta of 280, there wouldn't be anything to see on an US yet. It sounds like you just O'd later than "normal". Your numbers doubled so that's a great sign. Keeping my FX for you!
    Thank you!! :) yes they mentioned that they can't really tell until my levels reach more than 1000. i'm hoping everything is good and there is a healthy little one growing right where its supposed to. :)
  • @Knottie81627805 I had an U/S this morning, my HCG was 5334 and my doc could barely see a heartbeat. I am 5w5d according to how I measured, so if your HCG is that low, I don't think there would be anything to see yet.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Domane95Domane95 member
    edited March 2016
    *UPDATE* had my 4th beta done yesterday and still waiting for results.  Tomorrow is my follow up ultrasound  hoping they will be able to see anything to rule out ectopic.  I started having severe chest pain and I cant figure out what it is.  Doesn't feel like burning but just a dull tugging pain.   :/ feels like my whole ribcage is in pain especially my right side. 
  • @Knottie81627805 ..... chest and rib pain are symptoms or ectopic pregnancy.  I'd probably go to the ER if I were u.... a ruptured ectopic is serious
  • That's great news! Looks like you'll be sticking around for awhile! 
    On a side note, you should head over to The Knot and change your username. That way we can tell you apart from all the other knotties on here. :)
    Happy and healthy 9 months to you!